Jump to content
A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office: General Discussion Thread | Wonder Woman - Dec 18, Soul - Dec 25

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, firedeep said:

Angry Birds 2 did not fly. Sad!

That looks like a Trump tweet:D

 

NZ  Fri  68m -40% WoW as expected.  Tot 3887m/$555m  

The  week will also be down 40%.  Expect 4284m/$612m on Thur

The 4 new releases  took 58% of shows and made 118m. 

FFHS will take about 50% of shows and make 200m~ on OD.  I think NZ should hold 40% next week also.

In that case 500m more will be made, 4800m/$685m likely

4650m/$665m locked - 4900m/$700m still alive

 

AB2 just 21m as PS suggested.  Just over 70m/$10m OW incoming. Down 60% from AB1. Around $20m total(just 2x OW) likely with FFHS taking shows next week.

Edited by POTUS 2020
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, POTUS 2020 said:

That looks like a Trump tweet:D

 

NZ  Fri  68m -40% WoW as expected.  Tot 3887m/$555m  

The  week will also be down 40%.  Expect 4284m/$612m on Thur

The 4 new releases  took 58% of shows and made 118m. 

FFHS will take about 50% of shows and make 200m~ on OD.  I think NZ should hold 40% next week also.

In that case 500m more will be made 4800m/$685m likely

4650m/$665m locked  4900m/$700m still alive

 

AB2 just 21m as PS suggested.  Just over 70m/$10m OW incoming. Down 60% from AB1. Around $20m total(just 2x OW) likely with FFHS taking shows next week.

NZ late legs already stronger than WW2

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

NZ success prove again the box office market is a zero sum game place.

 

When a film falls, the other rises. I remember how people was freak out about China film market as multiple film was censored or got cancelled. In the end, NZ fills the market with 100m+admission. The summer gone like there was no censor drama after all. People always have that amount of time or money for cinema, just depend how they allocate to which film

 

This also prove China film market is not fueled by one-two punch of one off success but the market manage to attract that kind of amount of moviegoers

  • Like 4
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Not Cool 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

That's some bull-shit.

 

Ne Zha is doing whatever it is doing, not because of Zero-Sum game but a fucking 9.6 Maoyan score for a local biggie.

 

If BO was zero-sum game, we would not be looking at just 1-3 billion dollar films next year, when there will be 8 this year.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

That's some bull-shit.

 

Ne Zha is doing whatever it is doing, not because of Zero-Sum game but a fucking 9.6 Maoyan score for a local biggie.

 

If BO was zero-sum game, we would not be looking at just 1-3 billion dollar films next year, when there will be 8 this year.

You're sounding salty😆

 

He is correct in talking about BO market as a whole. There is only so much disposable income in a movie going population.  A few great films can get a few more people out or get some people to go a few more times than normal. But when a few huge films hit the market, other films suffer, when a blockbuster disappoints or gets censored a vacuum is created and other movies thrive. NZ may have done less if the censored films hit the market.   Im sure millions of chinese can only or wish to afford 1 movie in a month or a season.  I went to 1 movie a month when i was a kid.  In summer of 75., in June July August, i saw Jaws Jaws Jaws. Other movies suffered that summer.

If this is a huge year with 8 one billion dollar films, why is domestic and china down YoY to date?

As you can see below domestic mostly floats up or down a few percent. In 2014 only 2 movies could clear 300 and none over 400m, the year was down 5% from 2013(3movies over 400m). In 2015 we had AoU 450m, JW 650m SW7 650m (within 2015).  These top 3 made 500m more than 2013's top 3  and the year was up just 200m, 2% from 2013

It is a zero sum game with 5% give either way.

 

 

ear Total
Gross*
Change Tickets
Sold
Change # of
Movies
Total
Screens
Avg.
Ticket
Price
Avg.
Cost^
#1 Movie
2019 $7,390.3 - 820.2 - 482 - $9.01 - Avengers: Endgame
2018 $11,893.1 +7.4% 1,305.5 +5.8% 878 - $9.11 - Black Panther
2017 $11,072.2 -2.7% 1,234.4 -6.2% 740 - $8.97 - Star Wars: The Last Jedi
2016 $11,377.5 +2.2% 1,315.3 -0.4% 737 - $8.65 - Rogue One
2015 $11,129.4 +7.4% 1,320.2 +4.1% 706 - $8.43 - Star Wars: The Force Awakens
2014 $10,361.3 -5.2% 1,268.2 -5.6% 707 - $8.17 - American Sniper
2013 $10,924.6 +0.8% 1,343.7 -1.3% 689 - $8.13 - Catching Fire
2012 $10,837.6 +6.5% 1,361.5 +6.1% 669 - $7.96 - The Avengers
2011 $10,174.2 -3.7% 1,283.0 -4.2% 601 - $7.93 - Harry Potter / Deathly Hallows (P2)
2010 $10,565.6 -0.3% 1,339.1 -5.2% 538 - $7.89 - Toy Story 3
2009 $10,595.5 +10.0% 1,412.7 +5.3% 521 - $7.50 - Avatarp
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

That's some bull-shit.

 

Ne Zha is doing whatever it is doing, not because of Zero-Sum game but a fucking 9.6 Maoyan score for a local biggie.

 

If BO was zero-sum game, we would not be looking at just 1-3 billion dollar films next year, when there will be 8 this year.

2016;s highest grossing film was barely half of the 2015s (CW vs SW7). None of them approached 1.5b but in 2015, there were 3 and AoU wasn't far behind.

 

Yet 2016 global box office number barely drop. In fact, even in USA, the total gross grew in 2016 despite Rogue one only reached half of the SW7.

 

With Endgame hitting 2.8b, and 8 billionaire this year, global market will hardly grow. 

 

Looking at all the champion of the year, their number fluctuate from year to year but that doesn't really affect the box office grossing as a whole, 

2012- 1.5b

2013- 1.28b

2014- 1.1b

2015- 2.07b

2016-1.15b

2017-1.33b

 

Conclusion, box office market is a zero sum game. 

2018-2.05b

     

  • Like 2
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2019 at 2:22 PM, titanic2187 said:

2016;s highest grossing film was barely half of the 2015s (CW vs SW7). None of them approached 1.5b but in 2015, there were 3 and AoU wasn't far behind.

 

Yet 2016 global box office number barely drop. In fact, even in USA, the total gross grew in 2016 despite Rogue one only reached half of the SW7.

 

With Endgame hitting 2.8b, and 8 billionaire this year, global market will hardly grow. 

 

Looking at all the champion of the year, their number fluctuate from year to year but that doesn't really affect the box office grossing as a whole, 

2012- 1.5b

2013- 1.28b

2014- 1.1b

2015- 2.07b

2016-1.15b

2017-1.33b

 

Conclusion, box office market is a zero sum game. 

2018-2.05b

     

Suddenly TOTAL market expansions are gone xD HAHAHA

 

TTVOMJ

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

I actually don’t think Hobbs and Shaw will get that bad of wom in China 

 

92% on EGG in South Korea 

 

3.9/5 on filmark in japan 

 

prob will get 8.8 - 9 on maoyan 

When can we expect scores in maoyan for H&S. Tomo night?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.