A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

17 hours ago, Movies4Life said:

They’re saying they’ll likely have a cure by April, so, it could reopen in April.

Of course the Chinese Government would say that.  

But in the real world, making predictions about when a scienfific breakthru will happen is a lousy idea.

And the record of inding cures for viruses is not very good.

Sorry, but I don't find that claim convincing.

Edited by dudalb

9 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I got to ask, how will the Coronavirus effect films in the first half of 2020 like Mulan, Bond, Widow, and F9?

Its already been asked before in this thread. Mulan, Bond and maybe those other two will have delayed release dates. And even the latter two don't get delayed Chinese release dates, they could be affected from local films and movies like Mulan moving to the summer.

12 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I got to ask, how will the Coronavirus effect films in the first half of 2020 like Mulan, Bond, Widow, and F9?

Not only first half but this whole year box office will be severely affected if the situation is not controlled properly. 

Hollywood movies will be affected the most. 

At this point I don't see any movie expect F9 making 100m+ in China. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Disbelief 1

30 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Now that @Madhuvan has brought it up. I do wonder what it's going to be for the rest of the year even after cinemas open up. Could even an October release like Venom 2 be affected (causing it to do less than half of the first film in China)?

i dont think that we can anser that

Aside from the fairly obvious principles that

1) the longer until theaters reopen, the more every movie is hurt

2) movies with bad or medium reception will be affected the worst

We really can’t say anything more at the moment. There is literally not a single living being on Earth with a good idea of how this will play out.

Edited by Arendelle Legion
  • Like 1

Also back log of local movies will be big as well. There will be curbs placed on international releases at least for good dates. Every movie will be hit. 

Still that pales in comparison to impact otherwise. Chinese economy will be hit hard and reverberation will shake the whole world. I am buying puts for sure. 

52 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Now that @Madhuvan has brought it up. I do wonder what it's going to be for the rest of the year even after cinemas open up. Could even an October release like Venom 2 be affected (causing it to do less than half of the first film in China)?

July censorship left kept moviegoers on the sidelines.  Looked like the year would be down 5%.  But then NZ in August and Oct holiday blew up.  $1b+ in BO got postponed for CNY. That money will show up in months to come. This will take weeks to subside, It may be be a slow road back in spring but i see record DBF and records for summer months coming. Should be fine by Oct unless this challenges 1918

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

Anyway, I think when a movie opens or not is pretty damn minor issue at this point.

If its before the home video release, sure but after it's on home video, people are more likely going to pirate it. Like, I doubt Joker would make money in China if it was released at the start of Jan (after people were able to pirate a good quality version of the movie).

12 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

If its before the home video release, sure but after it's on home video, people are more likely going to pirate it. Like, I doubt Joker would make money in China if it was released at the start of Jan (after people were able to pirate a good quality version of the movie).

I was talking more about how possibly thousands of people dying is a lot more important then a freaking movie.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

I was talking more about how possibly thousands of people dying is a lot more important then a freaking movie.

Its a movie/BO forum. That's what is discussed here in good times and bad

151,000 people die everyday and we still go to and talk about movies

Edited by POTUS 2020
  • Like 7

On 1/30/2020 at 5:43 PM, Madhuvan said:

None of that is in UP. 

UP is very good place but it is equally bad. 

The main reason behind UP being less developed is politics. 

UP is the most important state when it comes to forming a government. 

The state has lowest literacy rates along with Bihar, is one of the poorest, lowest living standard and people are full of shit with 00s of communal riots each year and when CM if state is an asshole like this.

• Like 1