A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

I also think....if China can do it somehow: Re-release The Lion King in China. That’s all I want.

They could (if they can) release both animated TLK’s (the 1994-2D original and the 2019 CGI remake). Would have loved to see the original hit $1B+ WW in it’s lifetime-run and the remake go a bit over Jurassic World’s WW-gross.

Though I really just want the original TLK (1994) to hit over $1B+ WW like the remake did.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

On 4/24/2019 at 6:28 AM, charlie Jatinder said:

¥188    
¥525    
¥299    -43.00%
¥389    30.00%
¥545    40.00%
¥218    -60.00%

¥2164mn or $320mn

Actuals

¥190,159

¥535,698

¥316,250        - 41%

¥424,368        +35%

¥552,071        +30%

¥208,884        - 62%

¥2,227,431 or $330,928,400

Edited by charlie Jatinder

On 4/24/2019 at 12:41 PM, charlie Jatinder said:

On that note, a request to everyone here.

Please don't undermine domestic $300mn by comparing with 5.5 days China $325mn plus that will happen. One fair comparison, that can be done if OD (inc Midnight) + Friday + Saturday could beat USA weekend. 

yeah, that turned out real well.

7 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

I still can't believe Endgame made $630M in China.

Me too but then looking at admissions it start making sense. The ticket rates in weekend were very high. Hopefully we get $2mn in China re-release for $2.8Bn bragging rights but I am not sure if Disney will be considering those since they won't be getting any SHARE.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1

https://variety.com/2020/film/asia/cinemas-china-reopen-coronavirus-recedes-1203542000/

More than 500 cinema screens have reopened in China, where the coronavirus outbreak is seen to be receding, though box office takings remain minimal as the public is mostly staying away.

State media CGTN reported that 486 theaters were open for business on Friday. On Monday, financial publication Caixin said the number had risen to 507, representing less than 5% of all cinemas in commercial operation prior to the virus outbreak.

Data from private-sector ticketing firm Maoyan showed that venues had opened in five provinces: far-flung Xinjiang; Shangdong, a coastal province that lies between Beijing and Shanghai; southern, landlocked province Sichuan; and two populous coastal regions, Fujian and Guangdong, which border Hong Kong.

The data showed that nationwide revenue on Friday totalled less than $2,000. In Fujian and Guangdong, not a single ticket was sold.

Ip Man 4: The Finale announced that it has extended its screening dates to 25th April 2020.

It premiered on 20th December 2019, and has grossed over 1.18bn yuan.

good that at least there is a newer film in the mix in terms of theater offerings.