A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

14 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Isn't it the only blockbuster playing (outside old titles) ? Hard to compare

Last weekend pretty much yes, but it looks like it will hold well and have 2nd weekend way over Sonic’s first, which is not what I would have expected given their grosses elsewhere.

17 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Last weekend pretty much yes, but it looks like it will hold well and have 2nd weekend way over Sonic’s first, which is not what I would have expected given their grosses elsewhere.

I actually expected it considering the same thing happened in other major Asian markets (Japan and South Korea specifically). I really wouldn't be surprised if Dolittle grossed more in Asia overall. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Robert Downy starpower at display.

Bloodshot was also released. It flopped badly despite better Maoyan score.

Sonic the Hedgehog has poor pre-sales.

That a little Sony movie that would not made necessarily 40M dom without the coronavirus versus a 200 million extravagant.

28 minutes ago, Barnack said:

That a little Sony movie that would not made necessarily 40M dom without the coronavirus versus a 200 million extravagant.

200mn extravagant is also a boxoffice disaster which made $70mn dom.

Bloodshot is an action film starring Vin Diesel, whose another action film XXX3 did $170mn in China doing just $45mn dom.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

11 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Bloodshot is an action film starring Vin Diesel, whose another action film XXX3 did $170mn in China doing just $45mn dom.

That an ongoing franchise with twice the budget and Donnie Yen.

Has any small SH (almost independent type of production at that point) affair a la BloodShot ever worked in China ?

13 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

200mn extravagant is also a boxoffice disaster which made $70mn dom.

That how different of projects we are talking about, Bloodshot $70m dom would have been a big success story.

8 hours ago, Barnack said:

That an ongoing franchise with twice the budget and Donnie Yen.

Yeah but the 2nd film did only $1.65mn in China. First one didn't even release it seems.

8 hours ago, Barnack said:

That how different of projects we are talking about, Bloodshot $70m dom would have been a big success story.

Yeah but that doesn't change the fact that if a bomb like Dolittle is doing well in China, with not so great audience reception score, its RDJ star power at display.

46 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

that if a bomb like Dolittle is doing well in China,

I am not sure how do we know that a 5 million OW is doing particularly well or not ? Being the original question, that seem guessing, because if not of COVID that will be bombing in China no ? And with no reference to work with, outside a tiny niche movie (that didn't do close to Dolittle anywhere) that did more than half of that (and at 20% of the cost if the first one is doing well the second one is doing very well).

This doing well or not is all relative to what it would mean to do well with only 40% of the theater open and so on, something I am not sure we have much of an idea yet.

Edited by Barnack

2 hours ago, Barnack said:

I am not sure how do we know that a 5 million OW is doing particularly well or not ? Being the original question, that seem guessing, because if not of COVID that will be bombing in China no ? And with no reference to work with, outside a tiny niche movie (that didn't do close to Dolittle anywhere) that did more than half of that (and at 20% of the cost if the first one is doing well the second one is doing very well).

This doing well or not is all relative to what it would mean to do well with only 40% of the theater open and so on, something I am not sure we have much of an idea yet.

It's doing well considering the per show business is quite okay with seating restriction and considering the delay of 6 months. It also remained almost flat in weekdays, showing a good trend.

Dolittle did 61mn in 215k shows during first week, roughly 280 per show. Captain Marvel had 685 average or a The Lion King 660.

10 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

It's doing well considering the per show business is quite okay with seating restriction and considering the delay of 6 months. It also remained almost flat in weekdays, showing a good trend.

Dolittle did 61mn in 215k shows during first week, roughly 280 per show. Captain Marvel had 685 average or a The Lion King 660.

If the per show has a bit of the same than a domestic logic, it would be really misleading to compare very large release per show to smaller one.

But that exactly what I mean, it is all based with a supposed impact of seating restriction, delay and so on.....

Until we have an actual other strong release to compare it with, it does seem hard to tell, except for the going flat part that could indicate strong word of mouth (or simply that the numbers mean nothing because they sature so fast and it made an kind of maximum).

Seems like Dolittle will be very close to TEoA. May be Dolittle can win too. Sunday Interstellar shall win, weekend may be Dolittle.

I won't be entirely surprised if Interstellar win weekend just by Sunday. Current PS are ¥5mn. Final perhaps ¥10mn. OD can be ¥20-30mn.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1