A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

29 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

1917 looks like ¥11-12mn Approx OD. Let's see what score it get. I am expecting ¥50mn weekend.

Number looks good. A bit disappointed with Ford vs Ferrari's numbers though, excellent film but to be released alongside the much hyped 1917 as well as strong holdovers..

27 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Number looks good. A bit disappointed with Ford vs Ferrari's numbers though, excellent film but to be released alongside the much hyped 1917 as well as strong holdovers..

Opening is low but let's wait for reception. Can have a run. You can never really write off a good film in China until Saturday. 

I am looking at ¥2.25mn OD and with good WoM, weekend can be ¥12-15mn.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

10 hours ago, Barnack said:

I thought why life is beautiful opening higher than Interstellar went unnoticed

Interstellar 1 day vs LiB 3 days.

Besides, LiB did some 3mn in normalcy, in normalcy even Interstellar would have gone unnoticed for most part.

Interstellar nice ¥5.6mn (-42%) Monday. Total of rerun ¥87mn. Expecting ¥101mn by Thursday. Next weekend perhaps ¥15-17mn. before 800 release can be ¥125mn. Donno how much it can do after that but ¥135mn ($19.25mn) is perhaps possible.

Dolittle ¥3mn 3rd Monday (-25%). Total ¥116.5mn. Perhaps ¥124mn by Thursday. 4th weekend could be ¥10mn or so. Before 800 certainty can reach ¥140-142mn. ($20.5mn). 

Sheep Without Shepherd ¥3.5mn Monday (-14%). Brilliant re-run. ¥91m so far. Will be around ¥103mn by Thursday. This can run may be in September even. 

Its week wise run for re-run so far

Week 0: ¥7.5mn

Week 1: ¥34mn

Week 2: ¥33mn (-3%)

Week 3: ¥29mn (-13%)

May be another ¥75-100mn. That will take the full run to ¥1383-1408mn. No. 40 all time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Yeah it's weird but as rumors have it, its 28th August. 

Yeah, that's why I was surprised, espescially considering that they already announced a bunch of movies releasing around that weekend and also announced Tenet's release date which is after the 28th.

Edited by lorddemaxus

32 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Yeah, that's why I was surprised, espescially considering that they already announced a bunch of movies releasing around that weekend and also announced Tenet's release date which is after the 28th.

Well we had Endgame release date just 11 days early along with pre-sales, so let' see.

So films are played with 3 months license now. Lol.

From you can't play more than 4 weeks to this. China's rule of playing just 4 weeks led the box office community freak worldwide last year for two months, "Will Endgame beat Avatar or not".

• Like 1

13 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

So films are played with 3 months license now. Lol.

From you can't play more than 4 weeks to this. China's rule of playing just 4 weeks led the box office community freak worldwide last year for two months, "Will Endgame beat Avatar or not".

Is this the new rule? Or just an exception to bring people to theaters

Only about 1,700 theaters which earned more than ¥10 million box office revenue last year can arrange previews of 800

Correction: this is a inaccurate news.

Also, some small and independent theaters may not be able to screen 800 because of the new distribution model Huayi Brother is doing. The studio have asked these exhibitors to sign a deal, which is similar to box office minimum guarantee between distributors. Huayi Brother believe 800 can make as much as films like Dying to Survive in its first seven days. So the exhibitors who sign the deal have to pay the studio some money before its wide release debut. How much exactly? For example, if I’m the owner of a small theater and earned 0.01% of Chinese Box office in 2019, the price would be 0.01% * first seven-day gross of Dying to Survive. I can’t screen the movie(even after 7 days of its release) if I don’t pay them. Big theaters chain keep original split model so they don’t have many problems on 800. Not sure how this would impact pre-sale. 

Edited by Gavin Feng
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Only about 1,700 theaters which earned more than ¥10 million box office revenue last year can arrange previews of 800. 

Also, some small and independent theaters may not be able to screen 800 because of the new distribution model Huayi Brother is doing. The studio have asked these exhibitors to sign a deal, which is similar to box office minimum guarantee between distributors.

Big theaters chain keep original split model so they don’t have many problems on 800. Not sure how this would impact pre-sale. 

Ok this is very famous method of releasing in India. Theaters mostly independent ones, are required to pay MG to the distributor for releasing the film.

Exhibitor will only earn when the film cross that MG mark.

Big chains, well they have leverage over studio due to their size, so they don't have to pay any such numbers.

There shouldn't be impact on pre-sales as majority business I suppose is from national chains. Unless independent chains have unity to say NO to the model and they can make leverage in unity, which rarely happens and in doing so they don't screen 800.

10 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Ok this is very famous method of releasing in India. Theaters mostly independent ones, are required to pay MG to the distributor for releasing the film.

Exhibitor will only earn when the film cross that MG mark.

Big chains, well they have leverage over studio due to their size, so they don't have to pay any such numbers.

There shouldn't be impact on pre-sales as majority business I suppose is from national chains. Unless independent chains have unity to say NO to the model and they can make leverage in unity, which rarely happens and in doing so they don't screen 800.

speak of of the devil, Huayi Brother just canceled the new model:Venom:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1