A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

Funny thing is another amazing Soul is coming...

A local crime-mystery The Soul(缉魂) is going to debut on Jan.15 with previews on Jan.8-10.

I already saw the movie in 2020. I could never imagine this kind of movie would be experienced in cinema. Perfect masterpiece? I wouldn't praise it that way. But it is undoubtedly something unseen. In a word, a improved version of TENET with a smarter, more thrilling & emotional story.

The buzz is very low. One of the reasons is marketing couldn't do much without some spoilers that would hurt the movie. It's not from big name director, but he is going to be famous. I think he is like Jordan Peele in Hollywood - very bright & astonishing.

poster 

2867ad4462dde3e1e36103d5c5c5226cfbdaaf48

80e03e550b60ed1c51e84154974f7b7c79d56e50

• Like 6

2 hours ago, CoolK said:

Soul as of yday $29.05mn , no chances of mini breakout anymore.

It’s heading for a 9-11x multiplier, already a mini-breakout. But yeah, chance of going really nuts and taking out Tenet look dead.

• Sad 1

Soul PS are up 7% from Monday for some reason. If it wants to pass Croods2/I2, going to need to regain screens this Sat and Sun by holding up to the new releases well. I think it will be above Warm Hug and fairly close to Shockwave2 (in dailies) by Sunday.

Soul weekdays:

Mon -30% weekly

Tues -30%

Wed -12%  

Thurs +5% (personal projection)

Good way to head into a weekend where it needs to fight for screens. ALRF and Shockwave are also holding well with good PSAs.   

D-1 PS are low for everything, but if multiple movies get great reception Warm Hug won’t have enough screens to give up to leave everybody else comfortable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Going how cold thread is, I assume the Souls didn't breakout.

It’s been holding pretty well, headed for about 10x from OW and will be close with Croods 2 for 2nd place HW 2020 and I2 for 2nd place Pixar. I think that’s reasonable to call breakout legs, but it was breaking out from a comically low OD, so the final total is nothing crazy.   

Not too much discussion around here recently since the trajectory hasn’t changed much from a dozen days ago.

• Like 2

Maoyan currently forecasting an increase for Soul this weekend. Doesn’t seem too outlandish based on PS.    

Wish Dragon only has 9.1 Maoyan, but it increased every weekday, with Th about +15% from Mon.    

Openers have PS of just 1.7 and 1.5, 12.5% screen share each. Looks like another weekend on top for ALRF but with just $9M or so.

• Like 1