A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

Opinion

Should we for the purpose of this thread start using without service charge gross? We will be seeing Dom vs China in future. 

Its unfair that one market is inflating ~+5% of gross by including service charge. This discussion should have happened in 2016 but nevermind.

Imagine, DC 3 can only gross $950M as per "official" reporting which will put it above TFA, but the actual gross will be a bit short. Or for that matter if it just manages to go above $1B. Will be bit unfair, no?

10 minutes ago, jatvision said:

Opinion

Should we for the purpose of this thread start using without service charge gross? We will be seeing Dom vs China in future. 

Its unfair that one market is inflating ~+5% of gross by including service charge. This discussion should have happened in 2016 but nevermind.

Imagine, DC 3 can only gross $950M as per "official" reporting which will put it above TFA, but the actual gross will be a bit short. Or for that matter if it just manages to go above $1B. Will be bit unfair, no?

But wouldn't it also be unfair that USA has higher ATP?  

Edited by Menor

Just now, Menor said:

But wouldn't it also be unfair that USA has higher ATP?  

We can go in circles with doesn't China has more people, more theaters, etc. In fact the biggest being "Canada". Should it be just US and not Canada. I won't be surprised if Canada was the reason China started adding that 5% to official gross as in 2016 it felt like matter of year or two to beat US but then ER got bad.

The point here being compare the two absolutes. Pure Gross with Pure Gross.

16 minutes ago, jatvision said:

Is fandango and other service charge in other market not included in the BO ? And why do people pay those......

I think it’s easiest just to use US+Canada domestic territory and service fees included in China for the most part. That’s the industry standard and how things will be reported and known by casuals. Besides, we call it single territory record more often than single country record.

However, when a record gets broken “officially” but falls short when deducting those things, I do like to see both figures.

Edited by WandaLegion
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Is fandango and other service charge in other market not included in the BO

Nope.

And why do people pay those.

So they don’t have to bother buying the tickets in person. Sometimes pure laziness or habit, sometimes to reduce chance of getting turned away from a sellout — or get a better choice of seats with reserved seating.

Edited by WandaLegion
  • Like 1

Is fandango and other service charge in other market not included in the BO ? And why do people pay those......

No. China is the only one.

Well people pay to get the seat reserved. Funny enough, it used to be a black (illegal) business in India. A group of people would buy all tickets for any film and then sell those tickets to normal public on release day at higher price.

Corporates made that thing legal business by organising it 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

So they don’t have to bother buying the tickets in person. Sometimes pure laziness or habit, sometimes to reduce chance of getting turned away from a sellout — or get a better choice of seats with reserved seating.

I guess it is mostly for recent blockbuster, which is I guess a large proportion of ticket sold.

33 minutes ago, jatvision said:

No. China is the only one.

Well people pay to get the seat reserved. Funny enough, it used to be a black (illegal) business in India. A group of people would buy all tickets for any film and then sell those tickets to normal public on release day at higher price.

Corporates made that thing legal business by organising it 😀

Aamir Khan in Rangeela is still a great character. Dus ka tees.

I've only seen one movie by buying tickets in black, Kuch Kuch Hota Hai on opening day. Paid 15 rupees for a 10 rupee ticket.

@Gavin Feng which regions have 50% restrictions?

Checking few cities

Beijing - 44% on 4k shows ¥22M Gross

Shanghai - 54% on 6k shows ¥33M Gross

Shenzhen - 39% on 5k shows ¥16M Gross

Guangzhou - 30.5% on 5k shows ¥15M Gross

Chongking - 29% on 5k shows ¥10M Gross

Guess there's still a lot of capacity free outside the two biggest cities.

330 in 5 days+midnights looks kind of pathetic now.    

This also increases my interest in Shang-Chi getting a CNY date at some point. #1 probably needs to come out in summer, but if well-received maybe try to work it out for Shang-Chi 2.

7 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

330 in 5 days+midnights looks kind of pathetic now.

330M in 5 days wasn't all that bad but dailies sure were very ehhish. But that's more to do with workdays release. Not even Sunday was holiday. 

9 Days total was higher than The Wandering Earth. So atleast that was something.

Way I look at it, the 3 biggest single days were $265M or 1783M in span of 8 days. A proper non-holiday FSS would have probably meant 2000M or $300M weekend.

Edited by jatvision

1 hour ago, Menor said:

Fun fact, somebody asked me on reddit to get absolutely crazy with it and by pure coincidence I ended up here. Didn’t convert to USD until very end.  

Also depends a bit on how the other CNY releases are doing I guess. If we get really unhinged and let our imagination run free, it could maybe increase to 180k sessions, and occupancy of just under 80%, would be an OD around ¥1.2B. If by crazy good reception we mean like 9.8, then maybe Sat could hold to another ¥1B day with spillover and a mild increase on screenshare. Then comes Valentine’s Day, where it might be able to go above 50% on screenshare for some 240k sessions, or a max capacity of around ¥2B. With 70% occupancy that take the Sunday to ¥1.4B, for a ¥3.6B=$557M OW. 

For my 440, that’s thinking about 1050 OD, 850 Sat, and 950 Sun.

Just to emphasize, top paragraph is not actually anywhere close to being on the table. Purely for people who like to fantasize.