A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

18 minutes ago, jatvision said:

Singapore bookings seem nice for DC3. I hope you will share the numbers for CNY releases in South East Asia thread.

No HK films as competition this year it seems.

Usually traditional HK films (or Coproduced films) does better than pure mainland films in Southeast Asia during CNY

(See Enter The Fat Dragon last year - top CNY film in both Singapore and Malaysia).

Wang Bao Qiang is quite famous in South East Asia due to 1) him costarring in 3 martial arts film previously with Donnie Yen and 2) the unfortunate scandal of his wife - I think without any Hk or Hollywood films to compete this year- DC3 will do well. I will definitely share numbers if I get them :) 

Just now, LPLC said:

Yes almost 4* my bad. But is it strange that I find it normal that the Chinese market is finally beating the American market ? I'm sure in a few years it might be the Indian market that beats the US market, but it's all just a matter of time again.

About this, when DC3 beats WW2, the #1 in China will be bigger than #1 DOM, the #2 in China will be bigger than #2 DOM, ... until 4th spot. It will be the first time it happens.

Before DC3:

DOM vs China (I use current ER for Chinese grosses)

1. The Force Awakens (936) vs Wolf Warrior 2 (880)

2. Endgame (858) vs Ne Zha (778)

3. Avatar (760) vs The Wandering Earth (721)

4. Black Panther (700) vs Endgame (658)

After DC3:

DOM vs China

1. The Force Awakens (936) vs Detective Chinatown 3 (over 1b)

2. Endgame (858) vs Wolf Warrior 2 (880)

3. Avatar (760) vs Ne Zha (778)

4. Black Panther (700) vs The Wandering Earth (721)

10 minutes ago, jatvision said:

On that note, thinking to watch DC 1 tonight. Not really high expectation because well trailer of 3rd one was sort of ehh but just to say I have watched first $1B film, need to.

Other day watched The Eight Hundred. Much better than Wolf Warrior 2. In fact there are 4 really well done scenes. Among the big grossers from China I have seen, will put it third after Ne Zha and Dying to Survive.

I think 800 is definitely better film than I found it. Knowing context and if I hadn't had to rely on subs, I think I would have even liked it.

The Wolf Warrior films are highly overrated IMO.

If you want good original chinese films look at:

Nezha / Ip Man series / Eight Hundred / DC series.. even Shockwave 2 was solid.

$658M for Endgame in China ? I thought it was $632M. Anyway, these numbers are amazing and i am glad to see such big numbers and this is just the start just imagine in the future. And like i said these numbers had to happen some day or another and i'm not surprised that it happens today. It could have happened sooner or later but it's happening today and I'm happy to live it in the present moment.

This may sound crazy but I think DC3 is still leaving money on table. In a very limited surfing, I realised that big cities have lower occupancies than smaller ones, which is usually not the case. This however is happening in India too as urban population is more aware for social distancing than non-urban.

Also could be if people are visiting their hometown for vacations, so Tier A city occupancies are lower.

DC3 is missing 10-15M in Beijing due to 50% cap. Donno if any other city has too.

Few city numbers of DC 3

Shanghai - 44.3M on 6k shows (67.6%)

Beijing - 26.4M on 4k shows (49.9%)

Guangzhou - 26.5M on 5k shows (51.9%)

Chongking - 19.7M on 5k shows (55.5%)

Tianjin - 14M on 2k shows (68.5%)

Shenzhen - 29M on 5k shows (65.2%)

Chengdu - 24.5M on 5k shows (63.1%)

Nanjing - 17.9M on 2k shows (68.6%)

Wuhan - 14M on 3k shows (55.5%)

The average occupancy in these 9 mega cities is 60.1% on 37k shows.

The national occupancy is currently 68.3%. Which means Tier 3 and 4 cities are 75% or higher.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, LPLC said:

$658M for Endgame in China ? I thought it was $632M. Anyway, these numbers are amazing and i am glad to see such big numbers and this is just the start just imagine in the future. And like i said these numbers had to happen some day or another and i'm not surprised that it happens today. It could have happened sooner or later but it's happening today and I'm happy to live it in the present moment.

658 million with current ER.

4 minutes ago, jatvision said:

DC1 is mid 6 on IMDb, and 2hr 16mins long. That's a deal breaker. Guess gonna skip it.

It’s dumb fun, lots of slapstick and visual humour.

I enjoyed it when I saw it, but I love Action Comedies (and they are a dying genre particularly in Hollywood) not my favourite Chinese film but not nearly as bad as the B-Level action films that are the Wolf Warrior films. 

Edited by Jamiem

11 minutes ago, Jamiem said:

It’s dumb fun, lots of slapstick and visual humour.

I enjoyed it when I saw it, but I love Action Comedies (and they are a dying genre particularly in Hollywood) not my favourite Chinese film but not nearly as bad as the B-Level action films that are the Wolf Warrior films. 

how would you compare with Extreme Job. EJ for me was borderline average.

Edited by jatvision

7 minutes ago, jatvision said:

how would you compare with Extreme Job. EJ for me was borderline average.

I preferred Extreme Job honestly (it’s a pretty good comparison to) if you didn’t really vibe with EJ unless you are super into murder mysteries you probably won’t enjoy DC that much tbh. 

• Like 1

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Overall box office in China was $267M, beating the previous record of biggest single day in any country $216M on 5th Feb 2019. More than 33.5M tickets were sold, again the biggest ever, ahead of 16th Feb 2018 when 32.6M tickets were sold.</p>&mdash; andolanjeevi jat (@meJat32) <a href="https://twitter.com/meJat32/status/1360246091409629191?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 12, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

DC3 getting USD1b is like seeing Suicide squad got 1b in domestic. 

Just like wandering with earth and ww2 , they all are buzz-driven without solid quality as foundation. Nezha at least was something great.  

Well, the ranking of top grossers both DOM and WW is full of mediocre films. This is not any novelty