A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

Endgame finally rose up to #3 in dailies today, about being dead last in seventh for the first 4 days of CNY. Seems to have 2nd best reception and will take that to over a 7x multiplier, the best legs for this CNY.   

Also DC3 Maoyan is back up to 8.8, I assume that movement is real? Maybe getting a kinder reception from people who went in later in the run with lower expectations.

Endgame finally rose up to #3 in dailies today, about being dead last in seventh for the first 4 days of CNY. Seems to have 2nd best reception and will take that to over a 7x multiplier, the best legs for this CNY.   

Also DC3 Maoyan is back up to 8.8, I assume that movement is real? Maybe getting a kinder reception from people who went in later in the run with lower expectations.

20 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

tumblr_pvo6uwubu61u1po2to7_400.gifv

Edited by jatvision
  • Haha 1

It's a shame that movies in china are dropping so fast, anyone know why movies are dropping so heavily day by day ?

The numbers are getting lower and lower, now I think Detective Chinatown 3 will end up below The Wandering Earth and Hi, mom should be somewhere between Ne Zha and WW2, but even that I'm more sure. Very strange this Chinese market.

11 minutes ago, LPLC said:

It's a shame that movies in china are dropping so fast, anyone know why movies are dropping so heavily day by day ?

The numbers are getting lower and lower, now I think Detective Chinatown 3 will end up below The Wandering Earth and Hi, mom should be somewhere between Ne Zha and WW2, but even that I'm more sure. Very strange this Chinese market.

China uses to be a very frontoaded market. And CNY is a massive attendance period so the demand is burnt very quickly. Let's remember that it has been grossed over $1.2b in the whole market in just 7 days. That is what DOM uses to make along a whole good month.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, LPLC said:

Detective Chinatown 3 will end up below The Wandering Earth and Hi, mom should be somewhere between Ne Zha and WW2

This is where they’ve been heading since over a week ago, it’s not some new development from unexpectedly weak legs...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jatvision said:

You are coming from Biggest Holiday weekend, has Saturday as workday in 2nd weekend. What else are you expecting?

What you are saying is so contradictory.

Hi, mom: -31%

A Writer's Odyssey: -62%

Endgame: + 13%

I continue ?

And then it's not a simple drop from weekend to weekend, every day of the week falling more and more like a stone.

5 minutes ago, LPLC said:

What you are saying is so contradictory.

Hi, mom: -31%

A Writer's Odyssey: -62%

Endgame: + 13%

I continue ?

I take it this is first time ever you are tracking CNY.

If No, What else were you expecting? From Day 2 we know here that DC3 score isn't good, so it will be keep going down. 90% drop, 30% drop etc is all noise and no one should pay any attention to that.

The box office for CNY is to be tracked on daily basis, weekend/week drops can have no implications. What do I care about 90% drop of DC3 when it is already at 1.6x multiple from $400M WEEKEND, when any film dropping 90% will not even cross 1.5x ideally. 

5 minutes ago, LPLC said:

And then it's not a simple drop from weekend to weekend, every day of the week falling more and more like a stone.

Yes, ofc. It started with most shows on Day 1 and then it started losing shows to film with better WOM during the holidays, so they keep growing and DC3 keep dropping, still doing big numbers. 

Edited by jatvision
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, LPLC said:

Anyway, a week or two ago you were talking about a result > $ 1.2Bn and in the top 20 WW. Today we can say that DC3 will not even make$ 700M. I just find it sad because I was very hyped by this movie.

How can you expect and jump on the high train that this garbage and disgrace to hit >1b? 

Even 700m is considered too much for me. This could be the worst WW 700m grosser to me

6 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

How can you expect and jump on the high train that this garbage and disgrace to hit >1b? 

Even 700m is considered too much for me. This could be the worst WW 700m grosser to me

Well none of us here actually watched it or Chinese film have any significant presence on Western social media to see if they are received well.

Only refrence is Maoyan and Taopiaopiao score, which were crazy good on day 1 after crashing in following days.

Besides we have seen many many local comedies which work only with locals making ton of money. So despite finding the trailer awful, I still couldn't assume that this will get bad reception. Not helping was the fact that trailer of DC1 and DC2 were bad too.

• Like 1