google-site-verification=EzRt-ZmNlc4J5RNLXiuJpAEGjNviG678nNB1w49cgZg Jump to content
A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office: General Discussion Thread | Wonder Woman - Dec 18, Soul - Dec 25

Recommended Posts

Endgame finally rose up to #3 in dailies today, about being dead last in seventh for the first 4 days of CNY. Seems to have 2nd best reception and will take that to over a 7x multiplier, the best legs for this CNY.   
 

Also DC3 Maoyan is back up to 8.8, I assume that movement is real? Maybe getting a kinder reception from people who went in later in the run with lower expectations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Endgame finally rose up to #3 in dailies today, about being dead last in seventh for the first 4 days of CNY. Seems to have 2nd best reception and will take that to over a 7x multiplier, the best legs for this CNY.   
 

Also DC3 Maoyan is back up to 8.8, I assume that movement is real? Maybe getting a kinder reception from people who went in later in the run with lower expectations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Endgame finally rose up to #3 in dailies today, about being dead last in seventh for the first 4 days of CNY. Seems to have 2nd best reception and will take that to over a 7x multiplier, the best legs for this CNY.   
 

Also DC3 Maoyan is back up to 8.8, I assume that movement is real? Maybe getting a kinder reception from people who went in later in the run with lower expectations.

tumblr_pvo6uwubu61u1po2to7_400.gifv

Edited by jatvision
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tuesday numbers:

 

Hi Mom:   18,2  M                 Total :  663,9    M

 

DC3:     6,6   M                      Total :   637,4   M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a shame that movies in china are dropping so fast, anyone know why movies are dropping so heavily day by day ?

 

The numbers are getting lower and lower, now I think Detective Chinatown 3 will end up below The Wandering Earth and Hi, mom should be somewhere between Ne Zha and WW2, but even that I'm more sure. Very strange this Chinese market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, LPLC said:

It's a shame that movies in china are dropping so fast, anyone know why movies are dropping so heavily day by day ?

 

The numbers are getting lower and lower, now I think Detective Chinatown 3 will end up below The Wandering Earth and Hi, mom should be somewhere between Ne Zha and WW2, but even that I'm more sure. Very strange this Chinese market.

China uses to be a very frontoaded market. And CNY is a massive attendance period so the demand is burnt very quickly. Let's remember that it has been grossed over $1.2b in the whole market in just 7 days. That is what DOM uses to make along a whole good month.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, LPLC said:

Detective Chinatown 3 will end up below The Wandering Earth and Hi, mom should be somewhere between Ne Zha and WW2

This is where they’ve been heading since over a week ago, it’s not some new development from unexpectedly weak legs...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jatvision said:

I don't know what you all talking. Pretty normal trend. 

For me 90% drop from 1st weekend to 2nd weekend, it sucks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LPLC said:

For me 90% drop from 1st weekend to 2nd weekend, it sucks

You are coming from Biggest Holiday weekend, has Saturday as workday in 2nd weekend. What else are you expecting?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jatvision said:

You are coming from Biggest Holiday weekend, has Saturday as workday in 2nd weekend. What else are you expecting?

What you are saying is so contradictory.

 

Hi, mom: -31%

A Writer's Odyssey: -62%

Endgame: + 13%

 

I continue ?

 

And then it's not a simple drop from weekend to weekend, every day of the week falling more and more like a stone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, LPLC said:

What you are saying is so contradictory.

 

Hi, mom: -31%

A Writer's Odyssey: -62%

Endgame: + 13%

 

I continue ?

I take it this is first time ever you are tracking CNY.

 

If No, What else were you expecting? From Day 2 we know here that DC3 score isn't good, so it will be keep going down. 90% drop, 30% drop etc is all noise and no one should pay any attention to that.

 

The box office for CNY is to be tracked on daily basis, weekend/week drops can have no implications. What do I care about 90% drop of DC3 when it is already at 1.6x multiple from $400M WEEKEND, when any film dropping 90% will not even cross 1.5x ideally. 

5 minutes ago, LPLC said:

 

And then it's not a simple drop from weekend to weekend, every day of the week falling more and more like a stone.

Yes, ofc. It started with most shows on Day 1 and then it started losing shows to film with better WOM during the holidays, so they keep growing and DC3 keep dropping, still doing big numbers. 

Edited by jatvision
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyway, a week or two ago you were talking about a result > $ 1.2Bn and in the top 20 WW. Today we can say that DC3 will not even make$ 700M. I just find it sad because I was very hyped by this movie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LPLC said:

Today we can say that DC3 will not even make$ 700M. 

Except that we were saying/seeing it missing $700M on Sunday itself.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jatvision said:

Except that we were saying/seeing it missing $700M on Sunday itself.

Same

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, LPLC said:

Anyway, a week or two ago you were talking about a result > $ 1.2Bn and in the top 20 WW. Today we can say that DC3 will not even make$ 700M. I just find it sad because I was very hyped by this movie.

How can you expect and jump on the high train that this garbage and disgrace to hit >1b? 

 

Even 700m is considered too much for me. This could be the worst WW 700m grosser to me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

How can you expect and jump on the high train that this garbage and disgrace to hit >1b? 

 

Even 700m is considered too much for me. This could be the worst WW 700m grosser to me

Well none of us here actually watched it or Chinese film have any significant presence on Western social media to see if they are received well.

 

Only refrence is Maoyan and Taopiaopiao score, which were crazy good on day 1 after crashing in following days.

 

Besides we have seen many many local comedies which work only with locals making ton of money. So despite finding the trailer awful, I still couldn't assume that this will get bad reception. Not helping was the fact that trailer of DC1 and DC2 were bad too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Huh, T&J PS are surprisingly decent. Maoyan expecting around $30M OW.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Huh, T&J PS are surprisingly decent. Maoyan expecting around $30M OW.

hOlLyWoOd DeAd In ChInA

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tomorrow's holiday of some kind, so not sure if Saturday will grow as normal. Probably 30-35M OD, may be even 40. Weekend 120-200 depending on score.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.