Interstellar and HP1 are the recent major re-release

Interstellar Saturday's midnight show: rmb 130k

Harry potter 1 Thursday's midnight show; rmb 260k

So I am expecting a weekend number similar to HP1 re-release  

27 minutes ago, Eren Jaeger said:

Any updates on the pre-sales now ?

Overall: ¥12.1m ($1.87m)

Friday: ¥5.6m ($860k)

Saturday and Sunday are at ¥4.4m ($680k) and ¥1.9m ($290k) respectively, so this seems to be far more backloaded than most releases in China in terms of presales. Presumably a result of the extremely short release notice.

Edited by hw64

13 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I am thinking final pre-sales around 7.5M and OD of 16-18M probably and weekend of 49-55M. So record will be done by Sunday.

Seems like 6.5M final pre-sales. Interstellar had a 2.5x PSm while HP had 2.11x. That gives a range of 14-16.5M ($2.15-2.5M) OD.

Saturday pre-sales are higher than what usually films have, but looking city wise data, Shanghai, Beijing, etc have higher pre-sales on Sat than Sun. Now that could be people basically booking IMAX shows in Tier 1 cities. That would explain the low PSm than usual for re-releases.

Ideally those Sat PS would mean a much bigger Saturday than Friday, but let's see. Going with ¥44-54M ($6.8-8.5M) weekend prediction.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

9 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Just to add to the pile, Maoyan expect around $17 and I expect around $11.

Usually in normal scenario I will also expect $11M+ i.e. ¥71M+. (20 32 24 may be) but PSm for re-releases has been lower. 

Potter we were expecting ¥40M plus OD from ¥15.15M pre-sales, end up being only ¥32M. 

There is no comparability between the re-releases of Titanic & Avatar. Audience did have few movies and approaches to enjoy during 1998~2012. A re-release today doesn't feel that special as streaming services and contents are so dazzled.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

It seems possible, given that this re-release was announced only 2 days ago which is hardly any time at all to get the word out, that Avatar might have better walk-ups than similar releases, and possibly better legs. We're already seeing presales backloading in the opening weekend.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hw64 said:

It seems possible, given that this re-release was announced only 2 days ago which is hardly any time at all to get the word out, that Avatar might have better walk-ups than similar releases, and possibly better legs. We're already seeing presales backloading in the opening weekend.

I recall Interstellar and HP 1 didn't have much longer notice period too

14 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

I recall Interstellar and HP 1 didn't have much longer notice period too

Shorter than normal releases for sure, but Interstellar had about 9 days of presales, and Harry Potter 1 had about 14 days. The rereleases were announced months in advance, too.

7 minutes ago, hw64 said:

Shorter than normal releases for sure, but Interstellar had about 9 days of presales, and Harry Potter 1 had about 14 days. The rereleases were announced months in advance, too.

That is very unfortunate by comparison. At least avatar have 2 weeks of IMAX screen for itself before next imax juggernaut GvK

3 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Pretty normal trend through the day unlike other recent re-releases. ¥20M OD I guess. 

PS for tomorrow are good. Should go for ¥35-40M easily. Weekend ¥85-95M ($13-15M)

Final expected ?