A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

11 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Yes it's easier to get people to see franchise films but it gets to a point where you inevitably have people because of the franchise not wanting to see the film whereas if an original film truly breaks out there is no limit to how many people could watch it. In any case though congrats to Avatar again despite not loving it still really excited for the sequels.

I get what you're saying but the only example of this in the last 20 years is really Avatar. So actually its much easier to point at franchise films and go this is the way to make the most money, what you're saying is pure speculation.

12 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I highly, highly doubt that a remastered theatrical rerelease is making $300 mil worldwide. Most people don't really care enough about remasters for it to make considerably more than what a normal re-release would. It'd likely make as much as the previous Avatar rereleases have made at best.

And it's likely gonna take years for Cameron to do an Avatar 4k remaster anyways. He has been promising to do The Abyss and True Lies remasters for years now and those still haven't happened.

It may or may not be remastered, it hasn't been confirmed offcially. I think a remaster will do a better job of hitting audiences with the sense of amazement they experienced with the original film, as the 2009 visuals in Avatar aren't leaps and bounds above everything else in 2021.

Seems we disagree on how much a global re-release of Avatar with proper marketing like Titanic rerelease will make. I think its quite likely it makes more than $300m worldwide myself.

Edited by IronJimbo

Just now, IronJimbo said:

Seems we disagree on how much a global re-release of Avatar with proper marketing like the Titanic rerelease will make. I think its quite likely it makes more than $300m worldwide myself.

Titanic is a bad comparison here. Titanic's rerelease was 9 years ago. People's moviegoing habits have massively changed within those 9 years. Rereleases just are nowhere near as popular anymore. And Titanic was remastered into 3d, which gave it a lot of novelty, while the Avatar remaster will be a 4k upscale of a 1080p movie (since the movie was shot on 1080p), which doesn't have the same kind of novelty to it.

I mean the Terminator 2 3D rerelease in 2018 made just 4 million worldwide and that was heavily marketed too. The recent LOTR 4k remasters (which weren't 1080p upscaled) don't seem to be making much either. A remastered Avatar re-release would end up making more in China than the rest of the world. Most people will end up getting the movie on 4k Bluray instead of going to cinemas.

18 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Titanic is a bad comparison here. Titanic's rerelease was 9 years ago. People's moviegoing habits have massively changed within those 9 years. Rereleases just are nowhere near as popular anymore. And Titanic was remastered into 3d, which gave it a lot of novelty, while the Avatar remaster will be a 4k upscale of a 1080p movie (since the movie was shot on 1080p), which doesn't have the same kind of novelty to it.

I mean the Terminator 2 3D rerelease in 2018 made just 4 million worldwide and that was heavily marketed too. The recent LOTR 4k remasters (which weren't 1080p upscaled) don't seem to be making much either. A remastered Avatar re-release would end up making more in China than the rest of the world. Most people will end up getting the movie on 4k Bluray instead of going to cinemas.

Agree with you on most points regarding the rerelease potential except taking T2 rerelease as an example. It was a very low key afair, here in Germany for instance it had a small number of screens and only one screening per day for like one weekend if i remember correctly. It was also supposed to get a bigger push in China which never happened.

46 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Yes it's easier to get people to see franchise films but it gets to a point where you inevitably have people because of the franchise not wanting to see the film whereas if an original film truly breaks out there is no limit to how many people could watch it. In any case though congrats to Avatar again despite not loving it still really excited for the sequels.

Apparently its too hard for people to understand basic things.

Ah, such stimulating conversation about the Chinese box office specifically in these last few pages.   

Seems like Chinese Doctors did go to Labor Day, as @Gavin Feng was talking about being rumored. But after DC3+Hi Mom doing ¥10B from same date, I think Doctors and BW can probably coexist alright? If one gets bad reception the legs would suffer more than usual though.

Edited by WandaLegion
  • Like 3

We've done this same mental exercise two years ago as well,

If Avatar and Titanic never existed, the highest grossing films worldwide would have been changed hands between 8-9  sequels one after another consecutively in fairly close succession. 

The highest grossing films would have been something like:

SW: TPM

HP1??

LOTR: ROTK

Transformers 3

HP8

Avengers

Jurassic world

Star Wars TFA

Avengers Endgame

so an original film coming out and takes the world by storm literally hasn't happened for almost 3 decades if not for the dynamic duo from James Cameron, the age of original film holding the crown would had long ended ever since TPM; it just doesn't happen anymore.

We are living in the age of franchise films, there is a reason why the top 10 of every year is made entirely of sequels barring an original Chinese film here and there.

Edited by NCsoft
  • Astonished 2

Saturday likely to top rmb 58m, just like how Maoyan predicted, another boring trend. To be honest this number is kind of low but just 10 years ago when Avatar first released, this number from China would shock the Hollywood studio upside down.

Edited by Borobudur

41 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Apparently its too hard for people to understand basic things.

Yes , sky is the limit for original film but let face it, it is harder for original film to even look at the sky from the beginning.

If not, it won't be all the franchise film dominating the all time rank. That is even more "scary" if you remove Titanic and Avatar from JC's ability to strike the lightning at the same spot twice

• Like 5

9 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

On that note, instead of going back and forth, which frankly was done in 2019 enough, I am just gonna congratulate Avatar fans on their feat. 

I never expected Endgame to get the All Time Record in first place, so having that was a nice bonus. That said, like @WandaLegion said having the two most watched films of 21st century and highest grossing first run is nice enough a flex.😍

Unless Hollywood destroy the box office with streaming wars, see you with Avengers 7 or Avengers 8 whichever will be next event.

let's end this now.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

13 hours ago, NCsoft said:

Technically, Avatar has not had a single global large scale re-release yet, this one is also China only. Some people are trying to spread the false impression that Avatar somehow achieved its box office from several rounds of release when in fact, its original run, not counting the one tagged at the end of its global one as a victory lap, still amounted to $2.74B+, surpassing Titanic's original $1.84B by $900M, becoming the undisputed champion of global box office in 2010, in fact, Endgame was the one that needed a expansion/re-release to squeak by Avatar's box office (by $7M) in a global market that was 40% bigger and a Chinese market that was at 2019 around 8 times bigger.

These days, re-release in any country barely makes any money, if a film is capable of becoming all time highest grosser by a few re-runs, thus rendering global crown "not special, and anti-climatic", then I suggest all films just re-release themselves and challenge this title from Avatar.

Global box office crown was and is still definitely special, especially when Titanic and Avatar snatched them in the fashion that they did (demolishing the previous record). 

They should give Saudi Arabia a release date, Saudi never had Avatar in 2009 so technically it is not a re-release then, the movie could add few millions there.  

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, WandaLegion said:

Ah, such stimulating conversation about the Chinese box office specifically in these last few pages.   

Seems like Chinese Doctors did go to Labor Day, as @Gavin Feng was talking about being rumored. But after DC3+Hi Mom doing ¥10B from same date, I think Doctors and BW can probably coexist alright? If one gets bad reception the legs would suffer more than usual though.

Bona Film Group suddenly asked press not to mention the Labor Day release. It's unclear if they wanna change the date or not. 

The Bravest and The Captain, both produced by Bona, gained 9.4/10 on Maoyan and had great legs. So industry and audience have confidence in Chinese Doctors. As the first major title telling a story about anti epidemic, it could mean more than what we see right now as long as they don't mess it up. 

The enthusiasm for Hollywood movies is not obvious for many reasons. GVK might tell us if this could get improved quickly. If the monster title does not do well, I would remain pessimistic about the potential of Hollywood titles incl BW and F9.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WOM for Avatar re-release is better than I thought. Maoyan score go up to 9.3 from 9.1. Taopiaopiao up to 9.5 from 9.4

Most negative reactions said it was boring because they didn't think "the sequel" have much difference from the first one

Edited by Gavin Feng
  • Haha 16
  • Astonished 3
  • ...wtf 1

15 hours ago, The Dark Samurai said:

This re-release stuff is terrible as a box-office fan.

Endgame sold more than a 100 million more admissions, it took 10 years and a perfectly build universe of films to take the number one spot, and a re-release of a film that has been re-released several times will become number 1 again. It was something special to become number one. This? Thoroughly anti-climactic and silly.

I don't care what anyone says, re-releases should not count on the All-Time lists. Otherwise there's absolutely no point in comparing films or follow a films run when it can be beaten by endless re-releases like in this case.

So by your logic we shouldn't count that pathetic Endgame expansion to pass Avatar by few millions?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

4 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

WOM for Avatar re-release is better than I thought. Maoyan score go up to 9.3 from 9.1. Taopiaopiao up to 9.5 from 9.4

Most negative reactions said it was boring because they didn't think "the sequel" have much difference from the first one

Illiterates.

• Knock It Off 1

Moderation

Okay, we're done. The Endgame v Avatar nonsense has gone on long enough. You had your fun earlier today. You had your fun two years ago. But we're not bringing this up anymore. If you can't behave yourselves and not talk about Avatar's box office without dredging up these petty arguments, you will see threadbans. No exceptions!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Eric #TeamKong said:

Moderation

Okay, we're done. The Endgame v Avatar nonsense has gone on long enough. You had your fun earlier today. You had your fun two years ago. But we're not bringing this up anymore. If you can't behave yourselves and not talk about Avatar's box office without dredging up these petty arguments, you will see threadbans. No exceptions!

threadban warning for Lord of the Rings v Harry Potter in advance, pleas

• Haha 2