A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

5 minutes ago, Barnack said:

That not uncommon, they often tried when possible to not use high profil Japanese products in the past :

https://www.businessinsider.com/chinese-boycott-hurts-japan-2012-9

Well, They do have the fastest growing market in the world  

and the largest middle class in the world, probably bigger than the EU's.  

I don't think their enthusiasm towards Hollywood product have not been diminish, they are just lag behind the overall market growth. This is reasonable as China film industry were first grew in coastline big cities where people are more receptive to foreign product . As market continue to expand toward inland cities in recent year, the demand for Hollywood films didn't pick up proportionally.  Overall effect are Hollywood share decreases. That probably explain why you have Hollywood films dominated the chart in the first 20 years of liberalization but quickly reversed shortly after.

As for boycotting, Erm...China basically boycott things on the daily basis. There is even a joke on their "daily boycott schedule"

15 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

I don't think their enthusiasm towards Hollywood product have not been diminish, they are just lag behind the overall market growth. This is reasonable as China film industry were first grew in coastline big cities where people are more receptive to foreign product . As market continue to expand toward inland cities in recent year, the demand for Hollywood films didn't pick up proportionally.  Overall effect are Hollywood share decreases. That probably explain why you have Hollywood films dominated the chart in the first 20 years of liberalization but quickly reversed shortly after.

As for boycotting, Erm...China basically boycott things on the daily basis. There is even a joke on their "daily boycott schedule"

Doesn't 50%+ of the population live in rural areas? 

Edited by The GOAT

24 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Seems like 160M Saturday. That's about 15% growth. Meh. Best case scenario from here is 425M weekend i.e. $65M weekend.

Barely 10M admits, around 20% less than KoTM and 30% less than Kong Skull.

Extremely disappointing. You would think that with both monsters, 80+ is easy peasy. Piracy + hbo max is really hurting it badly. Maybe wom isn't all that good in China. I don't know. 

8 hours ago, The GOAT said:

Doesn't 50%+ of the population live in rural areas? 

Not fully certain if you quoted the good message but apparently no, only 554 millions lived in a rural areas in 2019 apparently (would be just below 40% by now)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

Is the boxoffice revenue so far running lower than it was in 2019? 

Till February it wasn't as first two months of year are usually dominated by local releases.

March Hollywood had Captain Marvel, Green Book, How to Train Your Dragon and even Alita doing decent. This time its just Avatar and Godzilla disappointing. March 2021 will end up around 60% of 2019.

• Sad 1

Month 2021 2019 % +/- 2021 2019
Jan ¥3,329,888,300 ¥3,378,975,800 -1.45% $512,291,000 $496,908,000
Feb ¥12,269,472,600 ¥11,164,331,400 9.90% $1,899,299,000 $1,655,201,000
Mar ¥2,400,000,000 ¥4,160,692,800 -42.32% $369,231,000 $619,151,000
Apr   ¥4,723,836,800     $701,907,000
May   ¥3,716,825,300     $546,592,000
Jun   ¥4,186,114,000     $608,447,000
Jul   ¥5,756,227,600     $836,661,000
Aug   ¥7,835,175,000     $1,101,994,000
Sept   ¥3,596,174,800     $502,962,000
Oct   ¥8,315,947,500     $1,167,970,000
Nov   ¥3,237,066,200     $459,811,000
Dec   ¥4,078,357,000     $582,622,000

Total ¥17,999,360,900 ¥64,149,724,200 -3.77% $2,780,821,000 $9,280,226,000

Edited by charlie Jatinder

48 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Even I don't care about HLW, those who are more patriotic and grounded than me hardly have interest on these contents.

I mean if that was :

can't wait for see Black Widow, Shang-Chi, Eternals for free.

Not a joke, that make no sense, most of your message seem to be hollywood with an account of a english speaking message board that talk almost exclusively about hollywood contain.

No one that do not care about Nigerian cinema can't wait to see 3 of their next movies for free even has a joke, register on a Nigerian movie forum and talk about their box office results.
    • Like 1
    • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I mean if that was :

You sorta misunderstood what he was trying to say. Normally I would have watch GvK, but since I know its coming free in next 5 days, I am not going to bother to go to theater. If Hollywood decide to reduce window to say even one week, I am not watching many films which I might have had otherwise. There are millions like me.

I am interested in those movies, but not interested in going to theater and pay for them when I will be getting them free on my comfort.

17 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I mean if that was :

Not a joke, that make no sense, most of your message seem to be hollywood with an account of a english speaking message board that talk almost exclusively about hollywood contain.

No one that do not care about Nigerian cinema can't wait to see 3 of their next movies for free even has a joke, register on a Nigerian movie forum and talk about their box office results.

Due to work-related reasons, I can't really ignore anything about film industry locally or from foreign. I still observe box office anytime and watch HLW movies at first time, but I wouldn't give any financial expectation or discuss the movie with endless words like I did years ago. The indifference can be easily sensed. I probably would stop caring about HLW if I am a person outside of the industry. I still love those HLW movies that came during pre-pandemic time. Many of them have been part of my most precious memories. But for those upcoming stuff, I don't think they could be that important and expect nothing.

• Haha 1