A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

7 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Probably will open a week before streaming and have good WOM, so...

Soul and Mulan had no theatrical window for whatever reasons while GvK, WW84 got one week. I'm not sure what situation BW will face.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

it could be. But in here, going cinema is a very common social approach. For most people, social needs ahead of content itself. If piracy somehow make a movie look inappropriate to be a social interaction, it dies. For some reasons we still couldn't figure out exactly, Mulan and WW84 experienced that, but GVK largely avoid that. 

Mulan was well hyped in China... trailer views was crazy with all star cast, but D+ released was 1 week earlier than theatrical release - so no one was patient enough to wait and apparently people were sharing the资源 everywhere in their wechat groups. 

WW84 killed by WoM..

33 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Not surprised that piracy hardly hurt GvK. It mostly affect those which go theater and streaming at the same time or have bad WOM. 

RIP Black Widow.

may be it was already affected in OW, with those who knew it will be out on HBO Max in a week not going for it.

when the trend of having digital copy out in a week catch up with general audience, piracy starts impacting.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

WoM... not that sure will be good.

Disney is known for multiple delays of films which they have no confidence in / suspicious quality.  See Artemis Fowl, New Mutants....

only that  its not the same situation with bw , that doesnt mean however that wom will be good for sure

Edited by john2000

15 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Just 20M in last 2 hours. Last Sat was 35M and added 29M after that. That was when Maoyan was behind Taopiao, today Maoyan is ahead. 

I will guess 115.

We will see. Only need 8,5 mill after 8,30 to hit that

46 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Just 20M in last 2 hours. Last Sat was 35M and added 29M after that. That was when Maoyan was behind Taopiao, today Maoyan is ahead. 

I will guess 115.

You were right

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TigerPaw said:

WoM... not that sure will be good.

Disney is known for multiple delays of films which they have no confidence in / suspicious quality.  See Artemis Fowl, New Mutants....

I mean, we already know the reason for BWs delays and they aren’t quality related.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

I mean, we already know the reason for BWs delays and they aren’t quality related.

What is the official reason given for the latest delay for 2 months + the choice to put on D+? Was the reason specifically given? Don't give an answer based on your view as a fan...

Don't need to be so defensive at this stage when we all do not know the quality of the film. Also does not matter what reason / excuse Disney come out with actually, more importantly what is being signalled to audiences with the constant delays?

We have to think about it logically instead being defensive yeah.

10 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

What is the official reason given for the latest delay for 2 months + the choice to put on D+? Was the reason specifically given? Don't give an answer based on your view as a fan...

Don't need to be so defensive at this stage when we all do not know the quality of the film. Also does not matter what reason / excuse Disney come out with actually, more importantly what is being signalled to audiences with the constant delays?

We have to think about it logically instead being defensive yeah.

I am thinking about it logically, the delay is because of covid. It’s being signaled to the audience that... they were afraid of releasing it with too many territories still having big covid problems. Cmon man.

Edited by WandaLegion
  • Like 5

16 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

I am thinking about it logically, the delay is because of covid. It’s being signaled to the audience that... they were afraid of releasing it with too many territories still having big covid problems. Cmon man.

What you are saying is what a fan is interpretating it as... and does not represent everyone. And the signal you are saying is not the ONLY signal. If you cannot see beyond that, there is no point continuing.

I have spoken to many people around me who are not fans and are just general audience who like watching movies as a past time - it is also sending a signal that there may be issues with the quality, especially now with the D+ simultaneous release. It is not just a delay... now it is a hybrid release. Hype is definitely also diminishing day by day.

Also what has GvK and WB shown? Release a film now and it can be sucessful. Delay.. ya you had a correct word in your sentence i guess - "afraid".

Anyway this is off-topic, i think we need to be clear that this discussion is happening in a BO forum where people have knowledge about BO and release dates. Let us not be frogs in a well, please look beyond your own PoV / personal bias and try to see what other signals such constant delays has brought about.

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Disbelief 1

17 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Also what has GvK and WB shown

Monster verse is very minute in Europe & LaTAM while MCU does big there. 

If Disney is also eyeing to get box office money (though they have repeatedly said they are DTC first) they needed to wait.

Though this was discussed earlier when announcement was made, but all Disney films are going to D+. It was probably going to be announced last December but post HBO Max backlash they didn't, and announcing movies on D+ one at a time.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

11 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Monster verse is very minute in Europe & LaTAM while MCU does big there. 

If Disney is also eyeing to get box office money (though they have repeatedly said they are DTC first) they needed to wait.

Though this was discussed earlier when announcement was made, but all Disney films are going to D+. It was probably going to be announced last December but post HBO Max backlash they didn't, and announcing movies on D+ one at a time.

Yup and this is coming from people in the BO forum who have knowledge about BO and also box office potential in various markets.

But outside of here...who is to say what other signals the constant delay has brought about.. to the general audiences.

Like what I said earlier - does not matter what reason / excuse Disney come out with actually, or what people in this forum deduce is the reason...more importantly what is being signalled to audiences with the constant delays?.. 

Also what is being signalled to theater operators? As you know I have a friend being one of the senior management of a local cinema chain - she told me she won't hold her breathe about BW's quality after news of the constant delay of release date.