A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

20 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I am not at all excited for BW but reason for delay isn't bad content. Period.

Yeah. Your perspective is different and a more educated guess because you have knowledge on release dates, box office gross / recovery of various countries. You got a more macro view of stuff.

What I am talking about is just general reaction / sentiment of the movie being constantly delayed - reaction from millions of people who may not be as knowledgeable as you.

Edited by TigerPaw

If BW gets good audience reactions than any "signal" from release date changes will not matter. People know that COVID has messed with the moviegoing schedule. Like even though COVID is under control in China, people are aware that it's still going on in the rest of the world, right?

Edited by Menor
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Menor said:

If BW gets good audience reactions than any "signal" from release date changes will not matter. People know that COVID has messed with the moviegoing schedule. Like even though COVID is under control in China, people are aware that it's still going on in the rest of the world, right?

Likewise if the audience reactions are meh / bad then ya we all may deduce the real reason why Disney kept pushing it back, and it is not just pushing back - it is a hybrid release now. I think again it is important to look at this critically and wonder what Disney is thinking and whether they actually thought about the consequence of constant delays - if I think a studio is sending mixed signals, why can't i call it out on this forum and share what my peers feel? Why do you need to be overly defensive?

We are not just talking about China, many other parts of Asia is recovering / has recovered (if not in terms of COVID, at least in terms of BO) like Singapore, Taiwan, HK,  Msia etc - also countries outside of Asia. And things are looking good for many more countries come May - but it is being pushed to July.

My local theaters are already removing standees and posters - will only put them back when the release date is truly confirmed.

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Knock It Off 1

2 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

27.4M at 12:00. Added 10M in last 2 hours. Last week was 39M at same time, adding 9M between 10-12.

I think there's good chance of flat or growth from Sat. That said, expecting 110-115.

46.3M at 14:00. Added 19M in last 2 hours. Last week added 21.8M.

Looks solid for 115.

6 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

if I think a studio is sending mixed signals, why can't i call it out on this forum and share what my peers feel? Why do you need to be overly defensive?

You can “call it out” on this forum, but when we say why that doesn’t make much sense it’s not being being “overly defensive” and the way you keep describing it as such is kind of condescending.

I get that it’s frustrating to have it be July instead of May for countries that are recovered. Personally, I wish they had stuck to May (or June). I get that it’s frustrating to have it be hybrid for countries that are mostly recovered and/or where piracy is a big thing. Personally, I wish it was nonhybrid.     

But it just doesn’t make sense to read any information about quality into a move that is clearly being driven by cautionness over global pandemic conditions and continued DTC experimentation.   

Maybe the movie will be received poorly. That’s totally possible, frankly 2 of the last 3 MCU films were pretty eh, and the prequel nature is not the most exciting. But it’s no more likely to be bad than it was when it was planned for May 2020, all of the delays are adequately explained by external factors.

Edited by WandaLegion
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

You can “call it out” on this forum, but when we say why that doesn’t make much sense it’s not being being “overly defensive” and the way you keep describing it as such is kind of condescending.

I get that it’s frustrating to have it be July instead of May for countries that are recovered. Personally, I wish they had stuck to May (or June). I get that it’s frustrating to have it be hybrid for countries that are mostly recovered and/or where piracy is a big thing. Personally, I wish it was nonhybrid.     

But it just doesn’t make sense to read any information about quality into a move that is clearly being driven by cautionness over global pandemic conditions and continued DTC experimentation.   

Maybe the movie will be received poorly. That’s totally possible, frankly 2 of the last 3 MCU films were pretty eh, and the prequel nature is not the most exciting. But it’s no more likely to be bad than it was when it was planned for May 2020, all of the delays are adequately explained by external factors.

Again you are explaining from your PoV as well as your knowledge of BO, release dates, recovery of various countries etc - but you do know that there are many others outside of these forums without the same level of knowledge and perceive the constant delays differently.

I get that you are a fan - seen your posts / comments in the BW thread itself. I think you need to relax and let things play out, if you feel that the studio made a decision you do not agree fully with, feel free to say out; but don't need to defend, rationalize and reason out every ounce of their decision with your own thinking...

• ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1