A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

Invite Wu Jing, Donnie Yen or any major local action stars in F10. Let them kill those annoying families one by one. Probably flop in everywhere else but easily $3 billion in China alone.

Edited by Gavin Feng
  • Haha 2

CBO will cross today or tomorrow ¥25B yearly box office. That will be not much below what was in 2019.

The final box office shall hit ¥55B, may be higher depending on how big Summer and National day breakouts be. It will also start getting support from Hollywood in later half of year but if they go on banning 2 MCU films the box office may remain bit shorter.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

So will now Taiwanese be offended by Cena or they are bit chill?

Doesn't seem like it; I am on a couple of Taiwan box office groups on Facebook.. movie fans are movie fans; and still say they are anticipating the film; there are some who say they are no longer watching it but it seems to be the minority?..

Also I don't see any major impact in HK as well thus far in terms of dailies. Drops is due to WoM + opening of Cruella; yet F9 still retained no.1

I find it funny that Liu Yifei is a Chinese who defended her country's stance and support frontliners - the HK police officers doing their job in the protests, and then we see HKers and Taiwanese being overeager and boycotting Mulan. Now Cena who based on his birthplace / country of origin is supposedly neutral but decided to pick a side + he has a much bigger following internationally - isn't his statement worse? But at least from a Asia perspective, no one seems to be boycotting F9. Lol..

Edited by TigerPaw

21 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Cruella’s China release date is 6th June; more than 1 week after it’s D+ release. How will piracy impact it… will be fun to watch.

How come Cruella got more notice period than AQP2....

31 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

How come Cruella got more notice period than AQP2....

🤣🤣

50 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I don't think it was going to do much in first place. May be $10M or under.

Ya demand isn’t that much, unlike Mulan which ever single freaking trailer trended on Weibo and the 1 week delay in release (compared to D+) basically killed it, as people who were excited / curious all watched Mulan online illegally already.

I mean I just did a random search and I can’t find any pirated links for Cruella yet on any Chinese sites.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

AQP2 seems like decent walk ins from low PS. 20M OD possible. If reception is nice, may be 75-80M weekend ($12M).

Not bad consider they got dumped last minute. Can they come out with a more reasonable time frame between announcement of release date and actual release date?

This isn't the first time they come out with this brilliant less than 5 days notice. Avatar, LOTR re-release and now AQP2. Understandable to those re-release but AQP2 is still a fresh new release.  It got me wonder did they do this on purpose? To sabotage a film release.   

I'm not sure what happened on other cases. As far as I heard, local bureau is low efficiency on release work of import movies for unclear reasons. 

But for Curella which couldn't get a normal Friday opening, it's sort of a revenge move due to misstep of Black Widow. Disney asked labor day holiday for the Marvel title, and Bureau promised them. Then Disney pushed it back to July without a advanced notice, making holidays look so poor, so Cruella got this punch as a remind that you're nothing more than a dirty rat.

Edited by Gavin Feng
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

I'm not sure what happened on other cases. As far as I heard, local bureau is low efficiency on release work of import movies for unclear reasons. 

But for Curella which couldn't get a normal Friday opening, it's sort of a revenge move due to misstep of Black Widow. Disney asked labor day holiday for the Marvel title, and Bureau promised them. Then Disney pushed it back to July without a advanced notice, making holidays look so poor, so Cruella got this punch as a remind that you're nothing more than a dirty rat.

Wait, so what's gonna happen to Black Widow? 

1 minute ago, Gavin Feng said:

But for Curella which couldn't get a normal Friday opening, it's sort of a revenge move due to misstep of Black Widow. Disney asked labor day holiday for the Marvel title, and Bureau promised them. Then Disney pushed it back to July without a advanced notice, so Cruella got this punch as a remind that you're nothing more than a dirty rat.

Is it because of US-China tension? Either way, China market is no longer that dependent on import films. They can go on survive on their own. The market probably won't grow without import film but they certainly self-sufficient.  Also, picking on Cruella doesn't seem like an actual harmful revenge since Cruella isn't really going to make big splash. 

22 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Is it because of US-China tension? Either way, China market is no longer that dependent on import films. They can go on survive on their own. The market probably won't grow without import film but they certainly self-sufficient.  Also, picking on Cruella doesn't seem like an actual harmful revenge since Cruella isn't really going to make big splash. 

Just the opposite. In the view of local bureau, they need Hollywood to make the market look cooler in some periods. Although local blockbusters are now much stronger, most of them only debut on CNY, summer holidays or National Day holidays. So Hollywood become a need at this point. For Hollywood studios, they also need China especially considering North America still doesn't get out of pandemic totally. Film Bureau set a box office goal of ¥60 billion in 2021. So let Hollywood blockbuster go holidays is a great option.

In the case of Black Widow, Disney want a great release date, and local bureau want a busy session. Black Widow on Apr.30 was almost happening. But then Disney told them they gotta push it back without a advanced notice. That messed them up. So Cruella become a victim. Local bureau know it's a small movie, so they chose this one as a "friendly remind". If Disney still keep being so “persisted” and "breaking word", they will get more punished.

Edited by Gavin Feng
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Wait, so what's gonna happen to Black Widow? 

It's unclear at this point. Considering Black Widow is a big movie bureau need, I don't think they want to hurt this one unless Disney refuse to show them regret on the previous misstep. But one thing is certain: summer is very busy with so many patriotism(or party) related movies with many potential box office monsters. Also in public, it would be little bit harder for Disney to market it without causing small online battle due to Soviet Union plots. Essentially, they shouldn't have pushed it back.

• Like 2