A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

BW is 103K. FFH is 522K. 

So can one assume that 400K worth of people didn't watch BW in spirit of watching it in theater. If so, might not be a bad idea to release BW.

Even if it get a release plan at this point, I could hardly imagine it would do way better than Mulan. Both of them had strong buzz at the beginning and missed best release time due to pandemic. And they all get very mixed even bad WOM from core audience after piracy came out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Come on China. See PAPA Feige cleared stuff. Release it now.

Lol. This is marketing, obviously he has to defend the film and his decisions on casting, plot etc.

I mean he can't go out there and say this is a steoreotypical film about Chinese and has elements of Kungfu, Tiger Dad and Dragon right? Hahaha.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, john2000 said:

@Gavin Feng how is the situation in china with covid ? based on what i am seeing for worldmeter , the situation seems to be  improving very fast..is this true ?

Yes, things are improving. I heard Sep is expected to be very crowded(same for National Day’s holidays in Oct.). Valentines Day in last week shows people are ready to go back cinema as long as no more new COVID threat. All we need is blockbuster, especially good one. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

Yes, things are improving. I heard Sep is expected to be very crowded(same for National Day’s holidays in Oct.). Valentines Day in last week shows people are ready to go back cinema as long as no more new COVID threat. All we need is blockbuster, especially good one. 

How far in advance do they usually announce releases? I'm kinda surprised by the lack of anything yet.

12 hours ago, poweranimals said:

How far in advance do they usually announce releases? I'm kinda surprised by the lack of anything yet.

Most studios and local bureau wouldn’t announce or approve a date officially until local government says COVID risks become low enough to let theaters work as usual. So it’s very hard to say. In the very past, the release plan was usually confirmed three to six weeks in advance. Now, it could be just one or two weeks.

7 minutes ago, Mau said:

How are luca presales as of now, also any chance of at least hit 10M usd in the market?

It’s close to Soul in pre-sale. Maoyan predict ¥7M OD(Soul did ¥4.5M). $10M lifetime is possible, and I think that would be a victory to this movie.

Luca projected by Maoyan to do 8m Yuan tomorrow; unless WoM explodes or else it will not top the weekend. Donnie Yen-starrer Raging Fire likely to top for the 4th weekend; has grossed more than USD130m already but still doing well even on weekdays, really shows the power of WoM and legs in China.