A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

25 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Couldn't they have moved the Dune date up by a week?

I believe Legendary tried, but any date near National Day movies is hard to land.

And to be honest, I don't think HBO Max debut is going to hurt the business here very much. If this is a Marvel/Nolan movie, streaming release will be a deadly hit. But Anyone who want to see a Villeneuve/Timothée blockbuster at the very beginning is probably determined to go cinema. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gavin Feng said:

Oct.22 - Dune

Oct.29 - No Time to Die

Nov date for Venom 2 I guess.

Haha. But don't think either of them will be in the top 10 of China Box Office this year.

Will be exciting to see the dates of Venom 2 and Spiderman: NWH. If the latter gets a similar release date as Aquaman back then - things could get really interesting. Haha.

2 hours ago, VenomXXR said:

I guess that officially ends things for BW and Shang Chi. Unfortunate. 

End for Eternals also. I don't see it being released and this is just start. I have a feeling they will be extra hard on Marvel now with all the actions against fandom culture etc.. 

5 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

No Marvel in the mix is really showing that China government want to crackdown everything that is deemed Giant, and this case Marvel is that giant.  

Not really, I mean Venom 2 and NWH are from different studios but also marvel, the latter is in the MCU and I am sure both will be released.

And I don’t foresee any issues with future MCU films as well; BW was Disney’s mistake in changing the release date - could have been like Fast9 and released earliest in China before the rest of the world. SC and Eternals had their own specific issues - I don’t think China is specifically targeting Marvel films.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Will we been given a specific reason why Shang Chi won’t release in China now? 

Or is it just a combination of everything? Honestly I think if Shang Chi is forever banned from China for whatever reason, Marvel won’t be happy and I’m sort of worried about the characters future. I hope Marvel prove me wrong.

2 minutes ago, exomassey said:

Or is it just a combination of everything? Honestly I think if Shang Chi is forever banned from China for whatever reason, Marvel won’t be happy and I’m sort of worried about the characters future. I hope Marvel prove me wrong.

The movie will break even and bring some profit...and all that without china..so...Anyways i just hope that we get an officiall announcement about the movies fate soon bc all this guessing game from the media is annoying

2 minutes ago, john2000 said:

The movie will break even and bring some profit...and all that without china..so...Anyways i just hope that we get an officiall announcement about the movies fate soon bc all this guessing game from the media is annoying

It’s just when the Eternals appear in other MCU movies (without Chloe Zhao directing), they will release in China.

However it seems in China there are issues with Shang Chi and Simu Liu, which could mean anything to do with that character could be banned from China.

Can anyone give me an answer for this?

Also sorry but with the Bond and Dune getting release dates now, Shang Chi is not getting one unfortunately.

4 minutes ago, exomassey said:

It’s just when the Eternals appear in other MCU movies (without Chloe Zhao directing), they will release in China.

However it seems in China there are issues with Shang Chi and Simu Liu, which could mean anything to do with that character could be banned from China.

Can anyone give me an answer for this?

Also sorry but with the Bond and Dune getting release dates now, Shang Chi is not getting one unfortunately.

I never said that shang will release there..but i dont think that bond or dune getting a date means much

1 hour ago, exomassey said:

Why would a reason need to be provided specifically for this film?

Black Widow, Jungle Cruise, Snake Eyes, Space Jam has all not been released. Do we need reasons for each of them? 😅

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Why would a reason need to be provided specifically for this film?

Black Widow, Jungle Cruise, Snake Eyes, Space Jam has all not been released. Do we need reasons for each of them? 😅

not really but also theses films where release in a period where there was the black out,these were also hybrid releases and by the time that the studios could in theory push this films to release there it was prob already too late and prob not worth it.Now of course they dont need to explain shang absence i agree with you on that