A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

3 hours ago, sgchn40 said:

Ha! It's always intriguing that the American domestic gross includes Canada, yet China's does not even include Hong Kong and Macau in their gross. Taiwan is treated like a country! :O

Movies have different release dates in each territory 

Hong Kong box office and Taiwan box office both are counted separately. It has always been counted this way.

Mainland box office of HK and TW made films, like Our Times and The Assassin, without any major involvement from Mainland in production, is counted as imported/foreign gross. Such films contribute only about 1% or even less of Mainland yearly box office. Note: only a handful of these films are released in Mainland theaters, although they are not limited by the quota system.

Mainland box office of Mainland-HK & Mainland-TW co-produced films, meaning major involvements from Mainland in production, like SPL2 and Helios, is counted as local gross. Mainland box office of China-US, China-Korea, China-India, China-Thailand, China-UK, China-Russia, China-Austrilia, China-France ... coproduced films, like KFP3, that have achived official copro status is also counted as local gross.

Monday estimates
The Martian: 24.4M/333M
Our Times: 13.4M/272M
The Vanished Murderer: 7.8M/47.5m
Bad Guys Always Die: 4.5M/35.4m
Transporter Refueled:2.6M/19M
Spectre:1.7M/535M
Mockingjay - Part 2:1.2M/138M

• Like 6

3 hours ago, firedeep said:

Eventually, IPM3 moves to 2016 TBD ... unsurprising

Yeah, heard about it. Hope the International Release dates in other parts of Asia such as Malaysia, Hong Kong and Singapore remains at 24th Dec, the marketing efforts in overseas markets are huge. Here in Singapore, Ip Man 3 posters are literally...everywhere!

Tuesday  estimates
The Martian: 22.4M/357M
Our Times: 12.3M/284M
The Vanished Murderer: 6.3M/54.2m
Bad Guys Always Die: 4.1M/39.8m

The SpongeBob Movie:2.4m OD 
Transporter Refueled:2.3M/122M
Spectre:1.5M/537M
Mockingjay - Part 2:1M/140M

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ash said:

You gonna be in HYD bud?

Not sure yet. I may come down to look at my apartment but I am mainly headed to India for a marriage in the family, so will be busy with that work primarily. Will definitely let you know if Hyd plans come up.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2015, 1:33:22, grim22 said:

So I will be taking a 16 hour long flight in a week and there are Chinese movie options in the in-flight entertainment. Which of these would you guys say I should watch on the flight. I have already seen Monster Hunt

Besides the ones already mentioned—all of which I also recommend, except Red Amnesia which I haven't seen but very much want to—Dust in the Wind is a beautiful classic, and Motorway is simple but slick (good for airplane viewing, I think). And watching The Asssassin on a tiny airline monitor is insanity—get an HD copy and see it on a big TV.