A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

7 hours ago, Polaroids said:

Seems the Russo brothers are planning to cast Chinese actors in their future films (probably Avengers). 

If so I wonder what role they will offer to Chinese/Asian actors? I hope to see Asian actors play superhero in HLW blockbusters. 5 minutes on screens should be ended. 

I guess one of those Chinese actors is Wu Yifan. Surprise, Fanfan turned down cameo in CA 3 but they still want to take him in.

Spoiler

CfKq2AdVAAEHhSd.jpg big

Maybe their " something big " is TA 3? 

Edited by Lihongkim

10 hours ago, kswiston said:

I won't pretend to be an expert on China's current financial state, but when North America had its housing crisis recession last decade (which was the worst economic downturn in ~70 years) the domestic box office was barely affected. Unless people are starving in the streets, they are probably still going to want entertainment. 

True. The depression in the 1930s saw the highest ticket count. However, the economic downturn will slow or stop the building and expansion of new cities. Along with it the 20- 30% increase in screens. 

There have been hundreds of thousands of layoffs in ore mining and steel production which signifies the slowing of construction. The government has been fudging the growth numbers. The stock market is often a leading indicator. It has fallen 50%. In the US the market fell 25% months before the shit hit the fan in housing in Sept 08

I'm not saying the BO will fall. It's growth will be curbed or flattened

Edited by No Prisoners

6 hours ago, Lihongkim said:

If so I wonder what role they will offer to Chinese/Asian actors? I hope to see Asian actors play superhero in HLW blockbusters. 5 minutes on screens should be ended. 

I guess one of those Chinese actors is Wu Yifan. Surprise, Fanfan turned down cameo in CA 3 but they still want to take him in.

Hide contents

CfKq2AdVAAEHhSd.jpg big

Maybe their " something big " is TA 3? 

Filming for that begins in July and they're planning to introduce a lot of characters. We'll know soon.

@firedeep Your contributions and knowledge about the Chinese box office and the industry itself are invaluable. I do hope you'll stay. If you go this thread would lack someone who actually knows what they're talking about (aside from Olive).

25 minutes ago, Polaroids said:

Filming for that begins in July and they're planning to introduce a lot of characters. We'll know soon.

@firedeep Your contributions and knowledge about the Chinese box office and the industry itself are invaluable. I do hope you'll stay. If you go this thread would lack someone who actually knows what they're talking about (aside from Olive).

So excited to hear that. It will be amazing if Yang Yang / Angelababy was invited. It's just my dream. 

+1

Although, I came here just because to follow Chinese movies's BO, but I do know who @firedeep is the resource of this sub-forum. 

Edited by Lihongkim

Zootopia would Beat AOU this week,becoming Disney highest grossing of all time.

Judy:”I’m sorry Tony,you know I won’t continue to play in cinema if I have any other choice.But I’m the No.1 now.":jeb!:

Tony:”So was I.":sadben:

CfMr3AfUEAEsSeT.jpg

• Like 7

Monday Estimates      
Hotpot.          40.2M/181M  

Bodyguard     36.4m /204m    
Zoo.               27.5M/1448M   
BVS               19.6M/574M   
Sleep bro       14.2M/83M    
Revenant       3M/368M  

Estimates may be off today because one of the bigger chains hasn't uploaded their data.

Edited by Olive
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

Zootopia would Beat AOU this week,becoming Disney highest grossing of all time.

Judy:”I’m sorry Tony,you know I won’t continue to play in cinema if I have any other choice.But I’m the No.1 now.":jeb!:

Tony:”So was I.":sadben:

CfMr3AfUEAEsSeT.jpg

Now that it has been extended and had an $18.5m week taking it to $217m, do you think it can add $33m more for $250m? I guess $240m is realistic.

Edited by a2knet

10 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Now that it has been extended and had an $18.5m week taking it to $217m, do you think it can add $33m more for $250m? I guess $240m is realistic.

It should keep a lot of screens this weekend. I'm thinking it could make 12m thru sunday. A few million more next mid week. But then jungle book is opening on the 15th. It won't make much it's last weekend Probably 230-235m. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, cannastop said:

Well, there are legitimate concerns about the Chinese economy. It's not clear how the box office will be affected, though.

16 hours ago, kswiston said:

I won't pretend to be an expert on China's current financial state, but when North America had its housing crisis recession last decade (which was the worst economic downturn in ~70 years) the domestic box office was barely affected. Unless people are starving in the streets, they are probably still going to want entertainment. 

Although I won't claim to be an expert either, I have the impression that the concerns for the Chinese economy are no worse than the concerns for the global economy as a whole. Crises occur frequently in many countries but as far as the Western countries are concerned, the crisis of 2008 had a minimal effect on the box office. There are few examples of a significant decrease of box office returns. Greece and Cyprus are characteristic ones: their decrease in GDP over the past 5 years was 25% and 15% resepctively. In both Greece and Cyprus, yearly box office admissions and yearly box office grosses during each of the last 3 years have been the lowest of the last 2 decades (without taking inflation into account, which makes it even worse). I doubt China wil experience any decrease in GDP in the near future. A slower increase of GDP will definitely do no harm either.

Monday #s  revised
Hotpot.          43.4M/184M  
Bodyguard     40.2m /208m    
Zoo.               30.2M/1450M   
BVS               21.2M/576M   
Sleep bro       15.4M/85.6M    
Revenant       3.2M/368M  

• Like 7

Tuesday Est:
Hotpot.          23.9M/208M  
Bodyguard     21.2m /229m    
Sleep bro       7.5M/91.9M  

BVS               6.6M/583M

Zoo.              5.3M/1455M   

Edited by Olive
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Olive said:

Tuesday Est:
Hotpot.          23.9M/208M  
Bodyguard     21.2m /229m    
Sleep bro       7.5M/91.9M  

BVS               6.6M/583M

Zoo.              5.3M/1455M   

Why ZOO was down more than the other movies?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Olive said:

Animated movie

So it will recover on weekends? how much drop you expect for the weekend for ZOO?

PS: THANK YOU MILLION TIMES FOR BEING SO SWEET. YOU ARE BY FAR ONE OF THE BELOVED MEMBERS OF BOT.

Edited by leatherjacket
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, leatherjacket said:

So it will recover on weekends? how much drop you expect for the weekend for ZOO?

PS: THANK YOU MILLION TIMES FOR BEING SO SWEET. YOU ARE BY FAR ONE OF THE BELOVED MEMBERS OF BOT.

It will be way stronger on weekends, it dropped less than 50% from last Tuesday while BVS falling 75%

• Like 4

1 hour ago, leatherjacket said:

It probably will big a big boost on the weekend.

Also, Monday was a holiday for China.

• Like 3