A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

Wolf Warriors II is an absolute game-changer for Chinese action films. High-production values rivaling Hollywood and a Chinese action hero that's at once familiar to audiences who've grown up on a steady diet of Hollywood action films, but also who want their own hero that speaks to the current socio/political climate in the country. In my opinion, it also does a phenomenal job of commercializing a film that is essentially soft power propaganda for the masses. Scary if you think about it too much, but impressive in its own right. Good on Jacky Wu.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Wolf Warrior 2 earned $33.9 million before 8:00 pm on MON.

Second best non-holiday MON record for a single market behind SW7 DOM $40.1 million

It needs 269m Yuan Monday to beat SW7 figure. It is at 243m right now and still 3 hours to the end of day...

Its going to clear 260m for a 28% drop. 55% is standard. Huge WoM spillover demand.

Its got 1.8b thru thursday and with 50% WoW holds expected 3.5b/$520m is certain. 4.3b/$638m possible with 38% holds. 

DM3 with a 50% hold near 5m and doubling last weeks new releases. 3rd place in its 4th week is impressive. Will reach 1010m/$149m. 1030m/ $152m if extended

Edited by POTUS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

TUE > MON in pre-sale. I guess SW7 non-holiday/non-opening TUE record is done

Really. Itll be close to 2b on thursday then.

5b/$738m possible unless they run out of people.:D

Whats the average ticket price. 150m tickets is possible i guess.

Edited by POTUS

3 minutes ago, POTUS said:

Is once upon a time YA or general audience? 

If its YA it'll open to 150m OD and drop DoD thru the weekend. General will be 200m+ and we could have a battle thru the weekend.

trailer feels like YA... Shush! This is starring by Olive's dream guy:ph34r:

Edited by Gavin Feng
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

TUE > MON in pre-sale. I guess SW7 non-holiday/non-opening TUE record is done

Both Monday and Tuesday SW7 figures are the best Monday and Tuesday. If WW2 is able to beat both numbers, it will have the biggest Monday and Tuesday EVER for a movie in a single market holiday and non-holiday, opening and not-opening. It is ridiculous.

1 minute ago, peludo said:

Both Monday and Tuesday SW7 figures are the best Monday and Tuesday. If WW2 is able to beat both numbers, it will have the biggest Monday and Tuesday EVER for a movie in a single market holiday and non-holiday, opening and not-opening. It is ridiculous.

The Mermaid made ¥277m = $42.15m(¥272m = $41.44m without MN) on MON, which is the first day of CNY holidays. ¥243.73m = $37.09m on TUE.

• Like 1

Chinese audience are becoming even more unpredictable, the films generally barely make 2x multiplier here, which is insanely front-loaded that not witnessed by any others country, but china can produce some insane legs too like dangal, zootopia and avatar which could be very hard even for japanese to replicate.

and now WW2 , will going to take down mermaid without any pre-sign....... 

Pretty insane stuff

Is the movie actually good? I mean would would a western audience find it good. I remember trying the mermaid after it did so well and that got a few laughs out of me but was mostly just weird.

5 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

Pretty insane stuff

Is the movie actually good? I mean would would a western audience find it good. I remember trying the mermaid after it did so well and that got a few laughs out of me but was mostly just weird.

Captain China.

• Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

Pretty insane stuff

kind of South Korean ptriotic movie, I don't mean its quality is not good, better than the Mermaid certainly.

• Thanks 1