A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

Secret Superstar is making rapid progress in advance infact it's advance is growing the fastest amongst all the movies.It is now at no.2 in advance and no.3 in showcount. Heroic seems to have a bulk booking on saturday and is not doing much after thst in advance.Aamir Khan it seems has gain a huge following in China and Secret Superstar may even top opening day.

What cld be the final advance and likely opening day now?

I believe it's India gross of 82cr(12.8M$) wld be crossed in 3 days max and it wld do much more in China than in India.2nd Aamir film in a row after Dangal which wld do much more in China than in India infact like Dangal it shld do much more n China than in the rest of the world combined like Dangal.

14 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

China says TLJ insulted people's intelligence and actors are ugly too:

http://comicbook.com/starwars/2018/01/12/star-wars-the-last-jedi-chinese-box-office-poor-disappointing/

Hollywood, pay attention! 

Or please don't.....

The shifting to make movies more and more to the lowest common denominator for all the audience in the world, leaving aside stuff that can insult any audience of any world market or hurt their sensitivity for maximizing the maximum a movie can do worldwide is reducing more and more what filmmaker can do.

Star Wars is so big domestic that is one of the few entry outside the lower budget affair that does not need to pay attention to anyone and let creator create.

Let artist offer a proposition and people will go on with it or not, trying to please everyone will always end up with offering them vanilla ice cream, specially if you take everyone in the world taste into account, and it is not that vanilla is not really good, just that it will always be vanilla.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

http://comicbook.com/starwars/2018/01/12/star-wars-the-last-jedi-chinese-box-office-poor-disappointing/

Hollywood, pay attention! ;)

"Insults the IQ of its audience" is a VERY common phrase that Chinese use on movies that they think the plot has too many problems and doesn't make sense. This phrase can been seen on a lot of movies' reviews, not only movies like TLJ which flopped hard, but also those that made tons of money such as TF series.

Copying random internet comments is the least amount of effort you can do to write your article, but I guess these days it's common for these internet movie review websites.

Not that I think TLJ is worth more postive reviews tho.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

Copying random internet comments is the least amount of effort you can do to write your article, but I guess these days it's common for these internet movie review websites.

You can say this about most subject now, creating content from twitter reaction even....

44 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Hollywood, pay attention! ;)

I read the article and besides no clarifying on how TLJ insults audience  ... i have rather discovered that chinese audiences are kind of stupid and superficial if what it's written is true (what i highly doubt...). It seems another "rob cain" type of guy who just is anger with himself for some small penis issue and just need something where to focus his ire:

Another factor in the disappointing reception in China, according to Tao, has to do with Chinese audiences gravitating towards films featuring traditionally attractive stars and films more rooted in reality.

“These actors aren’t very beautiful, which may deter a lot of Chinese from seeing the recent films,” Tao told SixthTone. “We fans often joke that if Finn were played by Will Smith, Chinese people might be more inclined to watch it — because he’s very handsome.”

<_< really? reality like ... Avatar? or Transformers? or FF? Super real, yeah. I drive FF-like my car every day through Pandora and the floating rocks on my way to the supermarket, where a transformer trolley does the shopping for me.

Really, like, WTF!!??

“For a lot of fans, the story of Rogue One made us think of our own country’s revolutionary history,” Tao pointed out. “A lot of characters in it were just like the Communist Party members who sacrificed themselves for the revolution.”

:l33t: That Tao guy makes me feel a bit uneasy.  :ph34r:

And this really kills me 

The most upvoted review complains that “the whole film really insults the IQ of its audience,” and demands to know how the universe could possibly be ruled by such an incompetent Galactic Empire. “In Star Wars, it seems only Darth Vader had a brain — it’s such a shame he’s already dead,” the reviewer concludes.

And what about a huge modern army and their war machines, bombs, fire weaponry being defeated by a bunch of blue Pocahontas in tanga flying in horse-dragons connected through their tails? Isn't that "IQ insulting" for chinese (or more exactly, for that Tao "Cain" guy?). 

And I'm sure there's a similar comparison with Transformers and FF, but i cannot parody it since i haven't fully watched a single movie on those sagas. 

3 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Not bad. Coming compared to TLJ's 70% drop last weekend. Local movies tend to hold better during weekdays but Hollywood Movies and Animations jump more during the weekend.

Well, if you have to compare its drop with TLJ's to make it looks as a "not bad" drop, many people here should assume it's a bad drop. 

11 minutes ago, Barnack said:

You can say this about most subject now, creating content from twitter reaction even....

Which is exactly my point.

It gets worse. A lot of the well-respected media are also doing it nowadays (not as frequently tho). They felt these new internet-based media were taking their places, so they decided they had to do the same. This is a perfect example of "bad money drives out good" in this fragmentation era.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

Which is exactly my point.

It gets worse. A lot of the well-respected media are also doing it nowadays (not as frequently tho). They felt these new internet-based media were taking their places, so they decided they had to do the same. This is a perfect example of "bad money drives out good" in this fragmentation era.

It could also be, they are cutting budgets and reduced to creating extremely cheap products, buying content from freelancer that have a near 0 budget to do their works, if spending 0 (time/effort or money) on stuff still get you clicks.....

Edited by Barnack

32 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

And what about a huge modern army and their war machines, bombs, fire weaponry being defeated by a bunch of blue Pocahontas in tanga flying in horse-dragons connected through their tails? Isn't that "IQ insulting" for chinese (or more exactly, for that Tao "Cain" guy?). 

And I'm sure there's a similar comparison with Transformers and FF, but i cannot parody it since i haven't fully watched a single movie on those sagas. 

I think you should go watch the final third of Avatar again and this time pay attention, the humans bit off far more than they could chew.

10 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

I lost enough time of my life watching it once ... not pretending on doing it a second time.

I've never heard that criticism of Avatar before in my life so I'm just letting you know that I respect your originality.

• Like 1