A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

https://weibo.com/ttarticle/p/show?id=2309404197656896357229

A common distribution strategy was limited by studios themselves for making the market competition in CNY be more fair.

According to local news, the ticket price subsidy, a common distribution strategy in China, has been limited by local studios themselves. Those distributors made the rules that the actual price(how much audience actually pay) of movies opening on CNY can't be less than ¥19.9. And the numbers of tickets subsidized by studios must be less than 500K.

For example, the lowest 2D ticket price between distributors & theaters chain is usually ¥25 in the 1st tier cities(¥20 in 2nd & 3rd tier. ¥5 more for 3D movies). If someone only pay ¥9.9 for a 2D movie ticket in Beijing, distributors need give theater another ¥15.1.

Ticket price subsidy has been popular for 4-5 years. It's an significant way to stimulate incremental demand especially in 2nd & 3rd tier cities, where many people in 1st tier cities will return in CNY holidays. But the strategy was also criticized by many insiders and industry workers that it made some useless movies hold overmuch showtimes(and this really hurt those movies’ box office which already opened).

And there is a fun fact: Disney is the only studio which don’t adopt the strategy. I think one of the reason that they decided to push The Last Jedi back to Jan 2018 is avoiding those local movies which embraced ticket price subsidy. It really can kill the showtimes of TLJ on 2nd weekend(well, it seems no difference whether SW debut on Dec or Jan.)

Edited by Gavin Feng
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

A common distribution strategy was limited by studios themselves for making the market competition in CNY be more fair.

According to local news, the ticket price subsidy, a common distribution strategy in China, has been limited by local studios themselves. Those distributors made the rules that the actual price(how much audience actually pay) of movies opening on CNY can't be less than ¥19.9. And the numbers of tickets subsidized by studios must be less than 500K.

For example, the lowest 2D ticket price between distributors & theaters chain is usually ¥25 in the 1st tier cities(¥20 in 2nd & 3rd tier. ¥5 more for 3D movies). If someone only pay ¥9.9 for a 2D movie ticket in Beijing, distributors need give theater another ¥15.1.

Ticket price subsidy has been popular for 4-5 years. It's an significant way to stimulate incremental demand especially in 2nd & 3rd tier cities, where many people in 1st tier cities will return in CNY holidays. But the strategy was also criticized by many insiders and industry workers that it made some useless movies hold overmuch showtimes(and this really hurt those movies’ box office which already opened).

And there is a fun fact: Disney is the only studio which don’t adopt the strategy. I think one of the reason that they decided to push The Last Jedi back to Jan 2018 is avoiding those local movies which embraced ticket price subsidy. It really can kill the showtimes of TLJ on 2nd weekend(well, it seems no difference whether SW debut on Dec or Jan.)

Wow...should be an interesting CNY with these measures in place and maybe this will start translating to other holidays as well. However, I remain skeptical since this seems to be a self-imposed restriction...what's the incentive for distributors to stay in line?

1 minute ago, jiangsen said:

Wow...should be an interesting CNY with these measures in place and maybe this will start translating to other holidays as well. However, I remain skeptical since this seems to be a self-imposed restriction...what's the incentive for distributors to stay in line?

The order from Film Bureau——SARFT(and saying it’s a self decision in news report):hahaha:

18 minutes ago, Saurabh said:

Maoyan is predicting huge for Secret Superstar.Around 84-85M$.

Opening day prediction is 7M$.

Maoyan prediction changes Everyday.

it never expected those numbers for ex files or Youth based on presales.

Similarly, it overpredicted many movies based on solid presales like blade runner  2049, and the predictions just gets softer and softer each day.

1 hour ago, Gavin Feng said:

So Sony, WB and other studios engage in these practices? I wonder why Disney doesn’t? I guess they’re not willing to lose any money for the chance to keep their movies on more screens for longer. And it seems without using subsidies during the holidays, your movie will play primarily to audiences 1st tier cities when a large portion of them have gone home. I can see why studios are incentivized to participate, but the criticisms are valid. 

17 minutes ago, Deja23 said:

So Sony, WB and other studios engage in these practices? I wonder why Disney doesn’t? I guess they’re not willing to lose any money for the chance to keep their movies on more screens for longer. And it seems without using subsidies during the holidays, your movie will play primarily to audiences 1st tier cities when a large portion of them have gone home. I can see why studios are incentivized to participate, but the criticisms are valid. 

I think Disney don't have to do this. They already became the strongest one in big six. And it really cost huge for keeping showtimes. Many movies spent too much on this and earned little. WB worked with ticket sale company Taopiaopiao on Dunkirk. Taopiaopiao spent huge on this project and lost money.

• Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Deja23 said:

And also, I think Disney is really eager to know Chinese taste. In China, there is almost no real critics. They can give good reviews after getting money. And sometimes Maoyan score can be better in shorttime after hiring water army. Many studios including big six do this shit. Disney enjoy to know what critics and audience really think about their movies no matter good or not. They asked them to tell them the real thoughts after media screens.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

Chinese largest theater chain Wanda asked their IMAX theaters to keep only 2 IMAX showtimes for The Last Jedi & show non-IMAX movie A Better Tomorrow 2018 in IMAX houses in the rest of the time from Jan.19 to Jan.25. (before The Maze Runner 3 open.)

Even that is a waste based on attendance.