A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

13 hours ago, efialtes76 said:

Presales for EP2 down 70%...

EP2 5.0 rating now.  I've never seen that before.  Its going to be down 45-50% today.  Never seen that either. They already made EP3. Doomed

Animal Farm is not going to bump much today. With standard drops Sun thru Tues, JW's tighter dailies could get close.

JW2 and I2 will get a lot shows back quickly for the week. They both increased shows by 10% today, Probably will tomorrow and Monday too

JW2 heading to high 30s today, maybe 40m.  I2 to 30m.  Looking for both to be close to flat on Sunday with more shows.

JW2 1700m/$260m looking probable with this hold,  and next week's weak openers. 

I2 will have a local toon to compete with next week but will still surpass 330m/$50m with ease

@Olive why aren't there any 200m OD local releases yet? Next week openers looking to be under 50m OD. 

I see Hidden Man is out of the gate with 1.6m two weeks from now, thats looking big but it'll already be 3 weeks into summer.

Edited by POTUS
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, POTUS said:

EP2 5.0 rating now.  I've never seen that before.  Its going to be down 45-50% today.  Never seen that either. They already made EP3. Doomed

JW2 and I2 will get a lot shows back quickly for the week.

To make matters worse - Many Co-Production / Hollywood films get the wrong Chinese stars.. Huang Xiao Ming is often criticised as a Box office poison with bad acting..

For EP3, they got Max Zhang in - who again has no good box office track record in China, he had a small role in Pacific Rim 2 and did not help the box office. at all

So far for Cross-over appeal - it is still the legendary 3 - Jackie Chan/Donnie Yen/Jet Li - no on else has proven otherwise.

• Like 1

Saturday Est - June 30th
Animal World
83M/180M +9%

Jurassic World FK : 40M/1507M, +68% 
Incredibles2 : 28.8m/243m +120%
Escape Plan 2: 21.2M/56.4m -40%
 Dying to Survive: 14.5M previews (9.6 maoyan score!)

Edited by Olive
  • Like 7

JW2 and IW2 are tracking -10% holds or better as expected

Dying to Survive is blowing up. Today's previews are already up 100% to 29m.  There aren't any evening shows scheduled. I'm not sure if it will triple to 43m.  Its an odd roll out. There will be previews Tuesday thru Thursday as well taking 15-25% of shows listed so far

• Like 1

Dying to Survive was supposed to get a last minute bump, officially releasing on June 30. But the copies couldn't have been ready. So they are doing previews for 5 days (Sat-Sun, Tue-Thu) instead. Hence the odd roll out.

Original films need to build buzz.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, firedeep said:

Dying to Survive was supposed to get a last minute bump, officially releasing on June 30. But the copies couldn't have been ready. So they are doing previews for 5 days (Sat-Sun, Tue-Thu) instead. Hence the odd roll out.

Original films need to build buzz.

This may actually be good for it - good WoM building up and the next weekend it might explode! :)

Sunday Est - July 1st
Animal World 73.8M/253.4M -11%
Jurassic World FK : 35.5M/1541.5M, -9% 

Dying to Survive: 35.3m/49.85M previews,+143%
Incredibles2 : 25.1m/268m -12%
Escape Plan 2: 14M/570.65m -35%

• Like 8