A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

15 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

I hope one day a Chinese movie will be popular in the West again, like Crouching Tiger and Hero (only Chinese movie to be #1 for a week-end in the US) were.

Ip Man 4 - heard it might be going wide (more than a thousand theaters)

Golden Job this week and L Storm last week literally has 0 competition..

Predator should have released now! + Monday is a holiday.

Or they should have let Ant Man or Mission Impossible have a bigger buffer in terms of release dates - now September is pathetic and people are literally having nothing to watch and just goes to the cinema to watch whichever movie.

The small budgeted "Cry me a sad river" has great WoM but not enough screentimes.

On 9/22/2018 at 2:59 PM, TigerPaw said:

Golden Job this week and L Storm last week literally has 0 competition..

Predator should have released now! + Monday is a holiday.

Or they should have let Ant Man or Mission Impossible have a bigger buffer in terms of release dates - now September is pathetic and people are literally having nothing to watch and just goes to the cinema to watch whichever movie.

The small budgeted "Cry me a sad river" has great WoM but not enough screentimes.

Mid Autumn Festival boosting BO on Sunday. Most films bumped

Cry me bumped 100% Saturday, big for a local new release, and bumped the biggest on Sunday, 50%+.  WoM gaining traction. If 2 of 3 of the holiday releases fade hard next week it could do well.

On 9/16/2018 at 8:45 PM, POTUS said:

Weekend Est

MI6         83.0M/$12.1M -62%   1109m/$162m     still on track for 1200m/$175m    1250m/$182m possible w ext

Ant-man 2 8.2M/$1.2M,              825m/$121m     will finish at 835m/$122.5m

The Meg    720k/$105k,            1049m/$153.5m    crawl to 1050m/$153.6m

Weekend Est

Golden Job  156m OW. 8.6 Rating and looks to fade hard with weak Sat and Sun holds and will disappear for the holiday

Cry Me           78m OW  9.1 Rating  dailies should hold flat this week as WoM spreads, it will take a hit next Sunday, but could get shows back quickly

MI6            48m/$7m -44%  1194m/$174.8m. Heading to 1230m/$179m when Holiday starts. Its holding well with the highest PTA on the weekend. its shows went from 4.8% on Friday to 7.9% today and it still had the highest PTA for Sunday. Will have  9% shows tomorrow.  MI6 shows will get knocked down to 1% next Sunday but should gain some shows back and could make 1-2m per day for the 7 day holiday if ext. 1250m/$182m still possible if ext

Death Wish- Goog Trans(Tiger gallbladder😅) made just 13.4m/$2m.   Guess Bruce doesn't rank with Sly, Arnold, Vinny and Rock.

AM2         2.3m/$350k -72%    831m/$122m.  Not sure if it was extended. Just 833-835m/$122.5m if so.   19% increase from AM1

Meg         260k/$38k     Made it to 1050m/$153.6m and thats about all

HTT3       finishing its run at       221m/$32.3m.  60% increase from HTT2

Edited by POTUS
  • Like 7

Sunday Estimates

Golden Job 55.8M/157M,+4%

Cry Me a Sad River 39.3M/77.8M,+53%

L Storm 28.2M/370M,+24%

MI: Fallout  24.6M/1195M,+45%

Ash is Purest White 12.5M/40.96M,-14%

Ant-man 2 1.26M/831.45M, End of run

Alpha 0.91M/112M, +10%

HT3 0.5M/221.3M

The Meg  190K/1050.4m

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

@Potus 

Good analysis.

will be fun if Cry Me beats Golden Job tomorrow during Mid Autumn festival.

always supporting the lower Budget underdog.

really weird to see September without a single big Hollywood release - last September was a war...

The battle started early this year with AM2 and MI6 opening in late august

Last year didn't see a big late august release then Apes3 and Spidey fought it out in early Sept

Cry Me A Sad River increased again today. With 9.1 on maoyan, hope it'll survive on the upcoming long holiday.

Mahua Funage will dominate box office again. Hello Mr.Billionair just made 2.5B Yuan this summer, let see how big Hello Mrs Money can do.

Monday Holiday Estimates

Golden Job 54M/211.4M, -3.2%

Cry Me a Sad River 44.0M/122M,+11.5%

L Storm 26.8M/397M,- 5.5%

MI: Fallout  23.3M/1218.6M, -6%

Ash is Purest White 9.4M/50.47M,-25%

Alpha 0.56M/112.6M, +10%

HT3 0.7M/222M

The Meg   300K/1050.7m

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

New Releases Taking 97% of shows.  I'm surprised they didn't give a bit more to River to try and leg. 3 more releases on the 1st, Maybe it gets some shows back in a few days. 96m PS for the holiday OD. Not huge and doesn't warrant 97% of shows.

MI6 doesn't look to be extended. Will finish at 1244m/$182m

This thread is the deadest I've seen in 3 years and may continue to be.  I think the next big HLWD release is in Nov- FB2 unless Predator get a release

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, POTUS said:

New Releases Taking 97% of shows.  I'm surprised they didn't give a bit more to River to try and leg. 3 more releases on the 1st, Maybe it gets some shows back in a few days. 96m PS for the holiday OD. Not huge and doesn't warrant 97% of shows.

This thread is the deadest I've seen in 3 years and may continue to be.  I think the next big HLWD release is in Nov- FB2 unless Predator get a release

Venom?

53 minutes ago, POTUS said:

Even although it is being released today (for Sunday) another $350m film.

51 minutes ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

Venom?

i dont see it listed yet

24 minutes ago, peludo said:

Even although it is being released today (for Sunday) another $350m film.

Local releases dont get this thread going much these days unless its a new high like WW2

@Olive does Predator or Venom have dates yet?

Edited by POTUS

On 10/1/2018 at 11:21 AM, peludo said:

Well, it seems that it is not true. Hello Mrs. Money is not even making 1b Yuan.

yup. 8 rating.  HMM having standard holiday drops, maybe 688m/$100m

Project Gutenberg, 8.9, is having a small break out with dailies increasing and will try for 1B

River is recovering from 3m on Sunday to 15m on Tues. heading to 400m/$60m+

Still no HLWD releases scheduled for Oct

Edited by POTUS
  • Like 1