A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

29 minutes ago, Viktor Vilotijevic said:

Just out of curiosity - has there ever been an American horror film playing (successfully) in China?

Other than the Quiet Place, Annihilation (10m) and The Shallows (15m) for what they were.

15 hours ago, POTUS said:

yup. 8 rating.  HMM having standard holiday drops, maybe 688m/$100m

Project Gutenberg, 8.9, is having a small break out with dailies increasing and will try for 1B

River is recovering from 3m on Sunday to 15m on Tues. heading to 400m/$60m+

Still no HLWD releases scheduled for Oct

Gavin mentioned that Predator will be out on Oct 26th

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 1

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hollywoods-box-office-market-share-down-sharply-china-1147593

"Hollywood studio product is down 24 percent so far this year in China," Pow revealed during his data-packed keynote in front of the U.S. and Chinese industry crowd on Sept 26. "On a year-to-date basis, Chinese-language films are out-preforming while imports are underperforming." 

With nearly three-quarters of 2018 elapsed, total tickets sales for U.S. studio imports have fallen to 11.3 billion RMB ($1.64 billion) from 15 billion RMB ($2.17 billion) during the same period in 2017. Meanwhile, Hollywood's shortfall has been "more than made up for by a surge in Chinese-language box office," Pow explained.

By this time last year, total revenue for Chinese films was 20.1 billion RMB ($2.92 billion), but in 2018 sales have grown 46.7 percent to 29.5 billion RMB ($4.28 billion). (Revenue for other non-studio imports from the U.S. and other territories is also down: 4.2 billion RMB in 2018 from 4.5 billion RMB in 2017).

Thanks to the huge gains of locally produced titles, China's total box office remains up a healthy 13.7 percent for the year so far.

• Thanks 1

Chinese market is so interesting because it's still changing for American films. I guess, at some point, Europe should try and enter the market. or at least bigger titles from UK, France and Spain. I'm not sure how'd they do, but they should test the waters.

Also, I asked about horror films because I'd like to see "Halloween" being released in China. I know it probably won't happen, but still.

8 hours ago, Viktor Vilotijevic said:

Chinese market is so interesting because it's still changing for American films. I guess, at some point, Europe should try and enter the market. or at least bigger titles from UK, France and Spain. I'm not sure how'd they do, but they should test the waters.

Also, I asked about horror films because I'd like to see "Halloween" being released in China. I know it probably won't happen, but still.

There was a Spanish film last year, "Contratiempo" (English title: "The invisible guest"), which did $25m. It is not an extreme gross, but quite relevant for a foreign film not coming from USA.

According my data, there are only 4 non USA foreign films which have grossed over 300m Yuan ($43m), and those films were 2 Indian and 2 Japanese films. Nothing from Europe.

18 hours ago, Mr Impossible said:

U.S/China relations are worsening. I think at some very few American film will be allowed in theaters.

they have 55,000 screens now. They need all the tent poles they can get to keep them solvent. The PTA has dropped with the slower growth for the last 3 years

12 hours ago, peludo said:

There was a Spanish film last year, "Contratiempo" (English title: "The invisible guest"), which did $25m. It is not an extreme gross, but quite relevant for a foreign film not coming from USA.

According my data, there are only 4 non USA foreign films which have grossed over 300m Yuan ($43m), and those films were 2 Indian and 2 Japanese films. Nothing from Europe.

Valerian and the City of Thousand Planets made $62M in China. Also Lucy made $44M, and Taken 3 made $32M. All of them produces by EuropaCorp (from France). 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, meriodejaneiro said:

Valerian and the City of Thousand Planets made $62M in China. Also Lucy made $44M, and Taken 3 made $32M. All of them produces by EuropaCorp (from France). 

My data are obviously wrong, or at very least, incomplete. Thank you :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

We know the Chinese economic growth slowed down quite a bit thus year, is  China's Box Office affected by this slowing growth?

Our great leader President Eleven will smash those schemes planned by evil USA who tried to destroy Chinese economy. Our country will be better and better. 

41 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Our great leader President Eleven will smash those schemes planned by evil USA who tried to destroy Chinese economy. Our country will be better and better. 

That's not an answer I expected ^^"

I totally disagree with Trump's trade wars but I just wanted to know about the dynamism of the Chinese Box Office, my question was neutral.

45 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

That's not an answer I expected ^^"

I totally disagree with Trump's trade wars but I just wanted to know about the dynamism of the Chinese Box Office, my question was neutral.

Haha.

Gavin was joking. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, movieboner said:

Will Aquaman get a release date?

Can the Conjuring franchise get released in China? Imagine the Nun making $100 million in china which would take its cume to $500 million worldwide for a $22 million film.

Warner Bros will definitely release aquaman in China, too big a market to ignore.

Infact, they wanted to cast Donnie Yen in Aquaman to be one of the key roles, but he turned the role down, but that clearly shows how keen WB is in making the DC brand strong in China.

The release date will probably in Early Jan (similar to the star wars release dates in China)

Right now i am surprised why Sony is not pushing for Venom to be release in mid/late Oct in China. No big China release... empty month for Venom to literally earn big bucks.