A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

12 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Read this from Comic Book Resource, not sure whether true?

“In the face of sharp declines, China has provisionally granted several high-profile Hollywood films with release dates; Venom will only have a wide release in China for 12 days.”

Even if it is, most CBM would have made like 90% (gut guess, haven't looked up exact) by end of day 12. 

It's not like this is going to be small and needs legs, it's going to be big upfront. Plus if it does explode then they will extend it simply because they won't remove successful movies (unless other circumstances apply)

8 hours ago, Feasby0007 said:

Even if it is, most CBM would have made like 90% (gut guess, haven't looked up exact) by end of day 12. 

It's not like this is going to be small and needs legs, it's going to be big upfront. Plus if it does explode then they will extend it simply because they won't remove successful movies (unless other circumstances apply)

That's not my point though.. there are some movies at the later dates which I hope Venom can help to wreck

Edited by TigerPaw

3 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

Thanks for all of your infos. May I add a question? I read that different distributers... plan(ed) to release the movie in e.g. Australia,...

Will they too ~ loose the film (to e.g. avoid future problems)?

1 hour ago, terrestrial said:

Thanks for all of your infos. May I add a question? I read that different distributers... plan(ed) to release the movie in e.g. Australia,...

Someone said on Twitter that US press screenings have been canceled. I guess they abandoned the theatrical release plan all over the world. But some insiders believe it would come back in theaters at a point.

• Thanks 1

On 10/16/2018 at 12:09 PM, TigerPaw said:

Read this from Comic Book Resource, not sure whether true?

“In the face of sharp declines, China has provisionally granted several high-profile Hollywood films with release dates; Venom will only have a wide release in China for 12 days.”

Still no justice for Christopher Robin though.  :lol:

On 10/17/2018 at 1:41 PM, terrestrial said:

Dayum $100M down the drain... You could've built a nice building with that.

14 hours ago, grim22 said:

Hichki didn’t drop at all in its second weekend @a2k @NamakFiskKa.

I'm no expert in Chinese BO but this bode really well for a very healthy run for the next 2 weeks 

14 hours ago, grim22 said:

Smallfoot opened to 2M on Friday and was 10M Saturday and 13M Sunday. Both movies with great word of mouth.

Atleast it didnt crash and burn like Lego movies , how is this doing compared to Storks ?

5 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Despite that trending, Hichki is still a failure. The film has about 8k prints in screening, that amounts to $5mn of print cost approx. Then of course there is publicity cost as well and acquisition cost from YRF. All said anything below $20mn full run is failure, may be $25mn.

That is without considering the fact that $25mn is a poor number for 8k prints stand-alone.

I would have thought China was almost 100% digital projection

https://www.displaydaily.com/article/display-daily/mpaa-3d-cinema-has-hit-an-eight-year-low

Analogue seem quite rare in Asia-Pacific market according to the MPAA.

Edited by Barnack

1 minute ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Print cost still is there. Of what I know about $600-700 per print.

Hard for me to make some equivalence with here (that would have been a really good price before digital appeared a movie with the biggest release could spend 20-30m on print cost alone in the US and 8k screen is not far from a wide US release of that time).

Do you know if that the price for hard drive and shipping the hard drive ? Plus some help to the theater to finance their conversion to digital ? Or the actual printing cost for the screen that are still projecting print (so say 3,000/3,200 by prints but only 20% of the screen use them) ?

7 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

I am not aware of this forum working. Will someone do a favour and give a quick tour, about what to do and when?

What do yo explicit need to know?

There are areas / sub-forums for movie related themes, but also for e.g. TV, games, general themes incl politic, sports.... and there are Clubs e.g. DC, Marvel, .... (here you have to click on the topics button to realyl see the threads overview). When you are inside a bigger area and want to change to another area you have to click e.g. on the left upper edge on 'Forums', then you can see the overview of all areas.

Beside the usual forum rules, it has stronger behaviour rules then some others, but less then I have seen too.

E.g. you need at least 10 posts to start a thread, absolute no provocative posts are allowed (~do not spoil the well),

2 different spoiler rules are existing

forum is not a place for spoiler discussion. Any sort of specific details about a movie that isn't out on home video should be spoiler-tagged (you can do this by either clicking on the eye icon in the posting menu or by typing [ spoiler ] whatever you want to say [/ spoiler] (without the spaces in the brackets).

2. to not post any spoiler till for some weeks after the release (not even in spoiler tags), as not everyone is able to watch a movie at once, (I never do them, I have forgotten if it is 2 or 4 weeks after the release in the US) If not sure, ask.

no links to spam, no unofficial 'news', no fan-art presented as official,... like it should be.

Be aware, here are teens too, people from all over the world, for some English is the 4th or... language. Do not assume non-knowledge about a poster, ask. Communicate.... Sometimes the other one has/had bad day, thinks about something else, is in the wrong thread,... not every mistake is a mistake out of missing knowledge.

No hijacking a thread (this here is bordering to that rule), means search for the approbate thread = as said, like it should be IMHO

Stay friendly and open minded to all, no matter the age, gender, nationally, religion, life-style... and you'll be fine.

Ahh, and dom = US + Canada, international means usually non-dom, global means the sum of all releasing countries.

Edited by terrestrial
crashed, now strange fonts + sizes
  • Like 3