A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

3 minutes ago, POTUS said:

slapstick was big in the 30s but died off when WW2 hit

westerns ruled for 30 years.....and then died off as well as pirate movies

Realism movies in the 50s 60s and 70s were big, they thought no one wanted to see the fantasy "Star Wars" then they fell off

Disney films fell out of favor for a while in the late 70s-early 80s

sooner or later fatigue sets in or something new comes along

Superhero movies are more versatile than everything listed there. Also, those genres fell out of popularity because there was a sharp drop in quality across the board. Whereas the SH genre is just beginning to branch out atm

I say this was the the big one. hard to top

Wait for DC to hit its stride, X-Men to take over the MCU and all the Spideys swinging in full force!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, firedeep said:

7 of 2018 top 10 worldwide will be SH films. how crazy.

I doubt there will ever be SH fatige.

At least one of Ant-Man 2 or Aquaman won't make it (AM2 very unlikely at this point). Still an amazing year considering the top 2.

We have to be near Peak Superhero? I mean, it can't much better(/worse) than this.

2 hours ago, POTUS said:

Sat PS heading to 47m at 1am.

Is it now? 49.5M.

Edited by MrGlass2

27 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

At least one of Ant-Man 2 or Aquaman won't make it (AM2 very unlikely at this point). Still an amazing year considering the top 2.

What if Into The Spider-Verse sneaks into the Top 10? :ph34r: Even if both AQM and MPR pass 700M, the No. 10 film only has to finish in the higher 600's. A longshot for Miles and Ralph/Grinch final totals are to be seen, but with these raves and award nominations (and wins) for Spider-Verse, who knows?

We have to be near Peak Superhero? I mean, it can't much better(/worse) than this.

But... you haven't even seen DC, X-Men and Spider-Man fully in their prime yet!

+ more fun characters like Shang Chi, Kamala Khan/Ms. Marvel, an above average take on Doctor Doom and Fantastic Four etc. still to come.

• Thanks 1

Amazing OD by Aquaman. And Saturday is looking even better. Sat PS up almost 45% which is miles better than what Venom had (which I think was up about 10% or so). With the ratings being this good, the drops are going to be very good. Its gonna blow past initial OW estimates of 65m. It’s probably gonna end up in the 85m OW range which would mean it has the best PS to OW multi of any SH movie (atleast those that i track, which is basically the last 2-3 years). This is gonna go past 200m easily at this rate. Although catching Venom will be an uphill task

This is incredible. First Venom and now this. I wonder what is the reason for this sudden uptick in grosses for SH movies. I mean till before Venom almost all solo SH movies ended up in the range of 90-120m final gross no matter how well received. But now these two movies are gonna break that trend and break them hard. I know one explaination for this is that the market was/is starved of big hollywood tentpoles and both Venom and Aquaman will benefit from it. But is that the only reason? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

This is incredible. First Venom and now this. I wonder what is the reason for this sudden uptick in grosses for SH movies. I mean till before Venom almost all solo SH movies ended up in the range of 90-120m final gross no matter how well received. But now these two movies are gonna break that trend and break them hard. I know one explaination for this is that the market was/is starved of big hollywood tentpoles and both Venom and Aquaman will benefit from it. But is that the only reason? 

One word: Tencent

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

One word: Tencent

Perhaps, but these are not the first movies to be promoted by Tencent. They did Wonder Woman too but that ended as one of the lower grossing SH movies. 

But if they really are the difference makerr then it bodes well for Bumblebee/Terminator/Top Gun coz they are promoting those too

Die erfolgreichsten US-Filme in China (Besucher):

1) 72.775.096 Fast & Furious 8

2) 62.447.888 Fast & Furious 7

3) 62.356.094 Avengers - Infinity War

4) 51.913.625 VENOM (28 Tage) = 28 days

5) 47.459.160 Jurassic World 2

German cinema website:

most successful admissions for US movies in China

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

Amazing OD by Aquaman. And Saturday is looking even better. Sat PS up almost 45% which is miles better than what Venom had (which I think was up about 10% or so). With the ratings being this good, the drops are going to be very good. Its gonna blow past initial OW estimates of 65m. It’s probably gonna end up in the 85m OW range which would mean it has the best PS to OW multi of any SH movie (atleast those that i track, which is basically the last 2-3 years). This is gonna go past 200m easily at this rate. Although catching Venom will be an uphill task

Looks like around 600 mill yuan OW IMO. And yes. 200 seems very likely atp

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1