A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

2 minutes ago, POTUS said:

VD PS already ahead of Wed PS from this afternoon

No?

I see 25.3m for Wed PS and 14.1m for VD PS?

EDIT: I just realised what you meant. 14.1m is more than Wed PS had earlier today, meaning in relative time it's ahead but not absolutely atm.

Edited by feasby007
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, POTUS said:

Like I said earlier, should be at least 60% of sunday. 250m+

Not sure why it dropped more today than yesterday, but CA and the rest of the market did something similar.

Tomorrow's PS  to be down another 20%.

VD PS already ahead of Wed PS from this afternoon

May be it got holiday leftovers on Monday. 

50 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

No?

I see 25.3m for Wed PS and 14.1m for VD PS?

EDIT: I just realised what you meant. 14.1m is more than Wed PS had earlier today, meaning in relative time it's ahead but not absolutely atm.

Yup. Wed PS was a 10m at 1200.  VD already at 14.5m. Could be 60-100% ahead by noon tomorrow

320-400m Thur. Hard to pinpoint atm

Edited by POTUS

1 hour ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

There are more Chinese in USA than Indians but why box office is so low. The numbers which TWE did, is something Hindi films doing since mid 2000s.

Even in rest of the world, despite having over 5 million of Chinese numbers are negligible. Why? @Olive @Gavin Feng

Only a guess: they livd long enough outside of China to get used to the local movies?

Some of them being descendants of ppl not following or born during the actual ~ society system... and/or....

China Box Office

流浪地球

Day

Date

Rank

Gross

% - YD

% - LW

Gross-to-Date

Day #

Weekly Gross

% - Change

RMB / M

USD / M

USD / M

USD / M

Mon

Feb.4

¥13.11 

$1.95 

-

-

$1.95 

$298.95 

-

Tue

Feb.5

¥188.54 

$27.96 

-

-

$29.91 

Wed

Feb.6

¥258.35 

$38.32 

37.03%

-

$68.23 

Thu

Feb.7

¥339.83 

$50.40 

31.54%

-

$118.63 

Fri

Feb.8

¥383.90 

$56.94 

12.97%

-

$175.57 

Sat

Feb.9

¥415.99 

$61.70 

8.36%

-

$237.27 

Sun

Feb.10

¥415.89 

$61.69 

-0.02%

-

$298.95 

Mon

Feb.11

¥339.52 

$50.36 

-18.36%

-

$349.31 

Tue

Feb.12

¥257.00 

$38.12 

-24.31%

27.45%

$387.43 

• Like 4
  • Astonished 1

47 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Only a guess: they livd long enough outside of China to get used to the local movies?

Some of them being descendants of ppl not following or born during the actual ~ society system... and/or....

My observation (as a Chinese Canadian) is that Chinese people overseas do not act very cohesively as a unit, there's quite a diversity of thoughts and behaviors for Chinese people residing overseas, which is in stark contrast to how nationalistic China tends to be these days.

So there's probably no reason to expect them to come out in droves to support a Chinese film (though they are, to an extent, for TWE), some of them would rather watch Hollywood offering while others would rather stay home. I would rather watch Alita, for example. Though if I can find a theatre near my small city that shows Wandering Earth, I would watch it too.

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

My observation (as a Chinese Canadian) is that Chinese people overseas do not act very cohesively as a unit, there's quite a diversity of thoughts and behaviors for Chinese people residing overseas, which is in stark contrast to how nationalistic China tends to be these days.

So there's probably no reason to expect them to come out in droves to support a Chinese film (though they are, to an extent, for TWE), some of them would rather watch Hollywood offering while others would rather stay home. I would rather watch Alita, for example. Though if I can find a theatre near my small city that shows Wandering Earth, I would watch it too.

That's rather different than Indians as overseas Indians watch films more than natives here. Also Indian film have limited overseas audience somehow.

The biggest in US has $22mn, the second biggest being $12.4mn.

20 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

That's rather different than Indians as overseas Indians watch films more than natives here. Also Indian film have limited overseas audience somehow.

I think if we look at how Hollywood films perform in India and China, we can conclude that Indian people are generally more attached to their own style of productions, while Chinese people molds their film making style to somewhat resemble Hollywood, in fact, TWE is a good example of that.

Chinese film makers simply do not care as much about having a distinct style, I think, they care more about the narrative : "if Hollywood can do it, we can as well." Overseas Chinese might not feel so compelled to watch those productions, they're not that unique.

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

5 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

There are more Chinese in USA than Indians but why box office is so low. The numbers which TWE did, is something Hindi films doing since mid 2000s.

Even in rest of the world, despite having over 5 million of Chinese numbers are negligible. Why? @Olive @Gavin Feng

India has the second oldest film industry in the world, and the country’s independence kicked off the Golden Age of Indian cinema (the late 1940s through the 1960s). 

While China has created some fantastic films during the same period, I think state censorship policies have had a strong influence on content. That may have caused a rift between mainland Chinese audiences and Chinese people overseas and their perception of Chinese films. 

Historically, is there more cultural identity associated with Indian Cinema than Chinese Cinema? I'm just a white guy who enjoys Chinese and Indian films. Someone else here can likely provide more insight. 

• Like 3

Should cross 200M today, but won't go much higher.

I am guessing something like:

Wed: 205M

Thu: 290M (Cume 3.1B)

Fri: 220M

Sat: 270M

Sun: 210M (Cume 3.8B)

Should have enough gas in the tank to reach 5B from there.

Edited by Fake

1 hour ago, Fake said:

Should cross 200M today, but won't go much higher.

I am guessing something like:

Wed: 205M

Thu: 290M (Cume 3.1B)

Fri: 220M

Sat: 270M

Sun: 210M (Cume 3.8B)

Should have enough gas in the tank to reach 5B from there.

205 sounds close. Maybe 210 if the midpoint is at 3pm today.

PS on track to clear 50m for tomorrow. Up at least 66%.

330m+ for Thursday

Friday could be 20% higher than wed with shows increasing to 46%

11 minutes ago, POTUS said:

205 sounds close. Maybe 210 if the midpoint is at 3pm today.

PS on track to clear 50m for tomorrow. Up at least 66%.

330m+ for Thursday

Friday could be 20% higher than wed with shows increasing to 46%

Has there ever been a tracking of the number of days a film consecutively exceed its opening gross? It seems likely that TWE will remain higher than $188 until this Sunday which is the 13th day of screening.

I may not be online here today but will try keeping update of hourly gross in my China sheet.

Wednesday is on track of ¥205-210mn going by morning shows. The bold ones are actual the others are projeced.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19FMGxiYylQCRPWmETDsjYYxTZOj2EElHhXWCF655CbY/edit?usp=drivesdk

• Like 1