A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

1 minute ago, feasby007 said:

According to Maoyan Toy Story 3 was released for one day (it could be that the daily tracking wasn't available, so everything was dumped onto 1 day). http://piaofang.maoyan.com/movie/727/boxshow

It gained ¥177.63m which is roughly $17.2m in 2010 June.

that's amazing, thanks.

now 9 years later blindly guessing 2x that for 355 ($52) can be a nice target. close to I2.

1 minute ago, a2k said:

that's amazing, thanks.

now 9 years later blindly guessing 2x that for 355 ($52) can be a nice target. close to I2.

Not sure how accurate it is, but the rating for TS3 is just 8.4, which is pathetic for animations. 

Also, @IronJimbo the douban rating for Alita is showing now... It's not great so far. (though remember Douban is more critical of movies, and this is early on) https://movie.douban.com/subject/1652592/

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, a2k said:

Frozen did $48 in China which as animations film go is not bad for 2013. I2 was only $2-3m above that last year.

TS3 did not release in China according to Mojo. Feel Frozen2 should double TS4.

According to Maoyan, Toy Story 3 grossed 118 million yuan ($17.4 million today). I'm guessing it will probably gross around the other recent Pixar sequels- $40-50 million. 

Frozen 2 could gross over $100 million if it's as well received as the first film, which has a 9.5 on Maoyan right now. 

It will be interesting to see which Hollywood animation wins the year in China. I think HTTYD3 could also gross over $100 million since the second film grossed $65 million in 2014. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

According to Maoyan, Toy Story 3 grossed 118 million yuan ($17.4 million today). I'm guessing it will probably gross around the other recent Pixar sequels- $40-50 million. 

Frozen 2 could gross over $100 million if it's as well received as the first film, which has a 9.5 on Maoyan right now. 

It will be interesting to see which Hollywood animation wins the year in China. I think HTTYD3 could also gross over $100 million since the second film grossed $65 million in 2014. 

A 9.5 would mean break out in big way for sequel. If that happen, $1.5 Billion WW won't be that far.

Edited by Charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1

19 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

According to Maoyan Toy Story 3 was released for one day (it could be that the daily tracking wasn't available, so everything was dumped onto 1 day). http://piaofang.maoyan.com/movie/727/boxshow

It gained ¥177.63m which is roughly $17.2m in 2010 June.

no, it made 117.74M yuan, very good back then.

TS4 should make around TI2.

Frozen 2 may break 100M usd

1 hour ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Heading for ¥190-200mn Sunday.

Hit ¥170m at 7:40pm. Currently running at roughly 9m per hour. 

So looking closer to ¥190 at the moment. Definitely beginning to lose steam. Probably hits ¥4b on Tuesday with the Lantern Festival.

3 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

A 9.5 would mean break out in big way for sequel. If that happen, $1.5 Billion WW won't be that far.

EXCHANGE RATES 

There's absolutely no way Toy Story 4 doesn't decrease significantly in Latin America (Where the first one did at least $136M), too much competition and even if it increased in lc it would still decrease in dollars a la HTTYD 3 (but worse, because ER was even better in 2010) 

And the rest of the world isn't exactly much better either. The pound, the yen, the euro..., all are worth much less than in 2010.

Edited by salvador-232
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, salvador-232 said:

EXCHANGE RATES 

Yeah that will be a factor but there's still a lot time since Frozen 2 release and we don't know how exchange rates will be at that time.

Besides, since we are talking about a breakout in China, say $150mn, that would most certainly means US will be hovering around $600mn. Japan say $200mn (I don't know how sequels fare there so I am just taking -20%). This itself will be $950mn.

For rest, where original did $575mn. Say the worse exchange rate make it $525mn today. Then take the inflation factor as well. And sequels do better overseas most of times.

We might just make it.

9 minutes ago, salvador-232 said:

EXCHANGE RATES 

There's absolutely no way Toy Story 4 doesn't decrease significantly in Latin America (Where the first one did at least $136M), too much competition and even if it increased in lc it would still decrease in dollars a la HTTYD 3 (but worse, because ER was even better in 2010) 

And the rest of the world isn't exactly much better either. The pound, the yen, the euro..., all are worth much less than in 2010.

We were taking about Frozen 😛

20 minutes ago, salvador-232 said:

Ah, Frozen isn't nearly as fucked by ER as TS4. I don't see it but could happen.

TS4 is probably not going to reach 1B WW, TS3's Japan and UK haul can't be replicated at today's ER.

It can look forward to increase in China, and probably a few other market, I think it'll be roughly flat domestically compared to TS3, would that be enough for 1B? Probably not.

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

World-wide sophomore weekend:-

1> Wolf Warrior 2 - 162.4m

2> The Force Awakens - 149.2m

3> Avengers: Infinity War - 114.8m

4> Black Panther  - 111.7m

5> Jurassic World - 106.8m

6> Operation Red Sea - 106.4m

7> The Avengers - 103m

8> Beauty and the Beast - 90.4m

9> The Wandering Earth - 89.8m

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

https://deadline.com/2019/02/alita-battle-angel-the-wandering-earth-happy-death-day-2u-aquaman-china-global-international-box-office-1202559181/

The Wu Jing-starrer also hit another milestone in the current session, topping Avengers: Infinity War to become the top-grossing IMAX release ever in China. The total there is now $43.7M.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1