MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

firedeep

China Box Office: General Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, Olive said:

no, it made 117.74M yuan, very good back then.

TS4 should make around TI2.

Frozen 2 may break 100M usd

Frozen 2 above $100m would be a healthy growth :)

3 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

A 9.5 would mean break out in big way for sequel. If that happen, $1.5 Billion WW won't be that far.

EXCHANGE RATES 

There's absolutely no way Toy Story 4 doesn't decrease significantly in Latin America (Where the first one did at least $136M), too much competition and even if it increased in lc it would still decrease in dollars a la HTTYD 3 (but worse, because ER was even better in 2010) 

And the rest of the world isn't exactly much better either. The pound, the yen, the euro..., all are worth much less than in 2010.

Edited by salvador-232
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, salvador-232 said:

EXCHANGE RATES 

Yeah that will be a factor but there's still a lot time since Frozen 2 release and we don't know how exchange rates will be at that time.

Besides, since we are talking about a breakout in China, say $150mn, that would most certainly means US will be hovering around $600mn. Japan say $200mn (I don't know how sequels fare there so I am just taking -20%). This itself will be $950mn.

For rest, where original did $575mn. Say the worse exchange rate make it $525mn today. Then take the inflation factor as well. And sequels do better overseas most of times.

We might just make it.

9 minutes ago, salvador-232 said:

EXCHANGE RATES 

There's absolutely no way Toy Story 4 doesn't decrease significantly in Latin America (Where the first one did at least $136M), too much competition and even if it increased in lc it would still decrease in dollars a la HTTYD 3 (but worse, because ER was even better in 2010) 

And the rest of the world isn't exactly much better either. The pound, the yen, the euro..., all are worth much less than in 2010.

We were taking about Frozen 😛

7 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

We were taking about Frozen 😛

Ah, Frozen isn't nearly as fucked by ER as TS4. I don't see it but could happen.

15 minutes ago, salvador-232 said:

Ah, Frozen isn't nearly as fucked by ER as TS4. I don't see it but could happen.

Yeah, right. Even India $ was ₹48 in 2010 today its ₹71.

But here inflation is higher. Prices are 2x since 2010 so that will take care.

20 minutes ago, salvador-232 said:

TS4 is probably not going to reach 1B WW, TS3's Japan and UK haul can't be replicated at today's ER.

It can look forward to increase in China, and probably a few other market, I think it'll be roughly flat domestically compared to TS3, would that be enough for 1B? Probably not.

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

The Wandering Earth

Opening Weekend - ¥1,217.39M / $180.56M(3rd best behind The Fate of the Furious & Infinity War)

Second Weekend - ¥605.59M / $89.82M(3rd best behind Wolf Warrior 2 & Operation Red Sea)

Total Gross - ¥3,788.91M / $561.97M

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 2

World-wide sophomore weekend:-

1> Wolf Warrior 2 - 162.4m

2> The Force Awakens - 149.2m

3> Avengers: Infinity War - 114.8m

4> Black Panther  - 111.7m

5> Jurassic World - 106.8m

6> Operation Red Sea - 106.4m

7> The Avengers - 103m

8> Beauty and the Beast - 90.4m

9> The Wandering Earth - 89.8m

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

https://deadline.com/2019/02/alita-battle-angel-the-wandering-earth-happy-death-day-2u-aquaman-china-global-international-box-office-1202559181/

The Wu Jing-starrer also hit another milestone in the current session, topping Avengers: Infinity War to become the top-grossing IMAX release ever in China. The total there is now $43.7M.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

out of comscore's weekend est

1 Wandering Earth, The $96,943,212 $96,943,212   $609,299,000 $606,867,211 $2,431,789  
Edited by terrestrial

7 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Seems like ¥90mn Monday.

100mn.

• Astonished 1

It seems that TWE just need to match ORS from the third week on to reach RMB 4.5 billion. It needs to do about 40% better to reach RMB 4.75 billion, and 83% better to reach RMB 5 billion. Yesterday it did twice as much as ORS on a comparable Monday. (RMB 99 million versus RMB 49.4 million) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, xiao2000 said:

It seems that TWE just need to match ORS from the third week on to reach RMB 4.5 billion. It needs to do about 40% better to reach RMB 4.75 billion, and 83% better to reach RMB 5 billion. Yesterday it did twice as much as ORS on a comparable Monday. (RMB 99 million versus RMB 49.4 million)

:welcome: to the forum!

Thanks! I've been following China's box office for a while now, now I'm really excited to track TWE's gross (since I really loved the movie) and see whether it can reach RMB 5 billion. 

• Like 1

Running 10% ahead of Monday so far. So, something around 110M can be expected.

59 minutes ago, Fake said:

Running 10% ahead of Monday so far. So, something around 110M can be expected.

That's actually not good IMO. I mean yesterday night shows did well with Holiday eve factor working in. If its flat or 10-20% better today, means tomorrow drop will be big.