A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

On 4/1/2018 at 4:35 PM, firedeep said:

The storyline is a problem but VFX design is also very important.

To Chinese audiences:

111114_TimeCircle_Wormhole.jpg

Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Chinese-poster-e

This is sci-fi blockbuster

But

The-Force-Awakens-Frame.jpg

th?id=OIP.E34p5Y0QQQmZdM6bY2OTTwHaDF&pid

this just doesn't have the sci-fi vibe.

LOL. Are you @robcain ? 

He's stealing u your effort and your argumentation of why SW is not visually attractive for chinese audiences.

You should demand a percentage of his incomes 

4 Key Reasons Why 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' Is A Catastrophic Flop In China

12 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

LOL. Are you @robcain ? 

He's stealing u your effort and your argumentation of why SW is not visually attractive for chinese audiences.

What's your thing with him?

You haven't said anything else in years. Just relax and accept criticism. Obviously firedeep knows more about his country than you do. OK?

Edited by FantasticBeasts
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

LOL. Are you @robcain ? 

:lol: That guy is a lurker here:lol:

One Question why do they care about the fights, they aren't any different than in most other Hollywood movies and that doesn't seems to be a problem there?

Star Wars to Chinese audience is just another sci-fi film that is poorly written with lame action scenes. They don't have any cultural connection to the Star Wars mythology, so when Han Solo and Leia show up in the TFA they have no clue who these old weirdos are and are not given any background information. The force seems very stupid to them too when I read the netizen comments. 

1 hour ago, FantasticBeasts said:

What's your thing with him?

You haven't said anything else in years. Just relax and accept criticism. Obviously firedeep knows more about his country than you do. OK?

I think you got me wrong. I was ironically asking firedeep if he was @robcain just because that angerfull guy literally copied a firedeep answer to a question i asked him about "why he thought SW are not being visually attractive to chinese audience". 

Just found funny that this guy writing on such an important economic branded site as Forbes is literally copying a comment made by a forum user to illustrate his article ... an article that has been following a hilarious anger-y and ire-y series of articles against TLJ as if Rian Johnson-Disney-Lucasfilm-KKennedy had made something very very very bad to him, taking it to the personal side. Just teasing him (because obviously he reads it here).

Just one of his nonsense: he wrote an article some days ago pretending a normal run for TLJ in China would be on the 150-200M, when indicators had it making 50M or so max from some weeks prior. Who is he trying to trick? Don't know. I just point the nonsense from a supposedly serious box-office-aware journalist collaborating at Forbes. Maybe Forbes is not as serious as i thought.

And I have said some other things on the forum, but i don't intend you to follow my forum activity. I don't mean to be so important for you. ;)

23 hours ago, peludo said:

I have read here it could even reach $460m (3b yuan). I do not know if it will go so high, but $300m seems extremely likely. It has been growing day by day along the whole week and unless there is an upcoming local big film soon, foreign competition does not seem specially strong... :hahaha:

I think it has shot. Saturday more than doubled WoW. Often when that happens the following can hold close to flat. Itll make 750m this week bringing the total to 1500m on thursday. Should the weekdays hold flat DoD, next week may drop just 10% to 675m. At 2175m the following thursday it could leg out with a couple of 35% holds. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

You guys are right. The Mouse went all out with China promo

1b405b10.jpg

e8527710.jpg

Yup exactly. You should post this, along with the Variety artivle and what some of us said...in the weekend thread.. whereby people are blaming TLJ's China mumbers on "lack of marketing".

How is this..."lack of marketing"? It is definitely one of the most marketed...HLW film in China in 2017(even though it technically released in 2018 but the publicity and premiere was prior to 2018).

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Yup exactly. You should post this, along with the Variety artivle and what some of us said...in the weekend thread.. whereby people are blaming TLJ's China mumbers on "lack of marketing".

How is this..."lack of marketing"? It is definitely one of the most marketed...HLW film in China in 2017(even though it technically released in 2018 but the publicity and premiere was prior to 2018).

China is such a miraculous market, Coco succeeded despite the lack marketing, and we really can't blame TLJ's performance on marketing. I think box office fans should collectively rejoice that we still have a market like China, which is so wildly against general trend and sometimes unpredictable, or else following box office will become quite dull. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TigerPaw said:

Done. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NCsoft said:

China is such a miraculous market, Coco succeeded despite the lack marketing, and we really can't blame TLJ's performance on marketing. I think box office fans should collectively rejoice that we still have a market like China, which is so wildly against general trend and sometimes unpredictable, or else following box office will become quite dull. 

Not to rain on your parade, but isn't TLJ's performance expected?

24 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

Expectedly unspectacular, yes. But I'm speaking in a more general sense, on the recent performance of Coco, Youth and Ex-File 3. Also, even though TLJ performing poorly was expected, the fact that arguably the biggest franchise in the world just can't even put out a film in China now that grosses 1/3 of Resident Evil 6 is still a miracle to me, even if the performance itself is expected. The reason I think China is exciting isn't just that it can be unexpected, but also it often strongly bucks global trends. 

37 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

Expected by people who knows their stuff, but most still realistically expected it to beat Rogue One up until maybe a month or 2 ago. Now it is trailing R1 daily and the gap just keeps getting bigger.

Edited by TigerPaw

9 hours ago, meriodejaneiro said:

LOL. Are you @robcain ? 

Forbes always do this shit. They also stole the story of Coco’s censorship.

8 hours ago, meriodejaneiro said:

I think you got me wrong. I was ironically asking firedeep if he was @robcain just because that angerfull guy literally copied a firedeep answer to a question i asked him about "why he thought SW are not being visually attractive to chinese audience". 

Just found funny that this guy writing on such an important economic branded site as Forbes is literally copying a comment made by a forum user to illustrate his article ... an article that has been following a hilarious anger-y and ire-y series of articles against TLJ as if Rian Johnson-Disney-Lucasfilm-KKennedy had made something very very very bad to him, taking it to the personal side. Just teasing him (because obviously he reads it here).

Just one of his nonsense: he wrote an article some days ago pretending a normal run for TLJ in China would be on the 150-200M, when indicators had it making 50M or so max from some weeks prior. Who is he trying to trick? Don't know. I just point the nonsense from a supposedly serious box-office-aware journalist collaborating at Forbes. Maybe Forbes is not as serious as i thought.

And I have said some other things on the forum, but i don't intend you to follow my forum activity. I don't mean to be so important for you. ;)

I don't know any of the backstory and don't care about it either. It is just that I have seen multiple consequetive posts of yours being about that guy and it just feels strange to me how much you focus on it. You made your point clear that you don't like him. Repetition becomes really tiring.