A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

7 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

What killed Godzilla was the hide and seek BS, it's legs were weak everywhere because of that.

and killing the good actor people thought was the lead while the film really being lead by a robot.

10 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

What killed Godzilla was the hide and seek BS, it's legs were weak everywhere because of that.

I had a good laugh when people complained about it not having enough Godzilla. Did they ever see the old films? You're mostly stuck with stock (Japanese) characters waiting for the dudes in rubber suits to show up and duke it out. For better or worse, Edwards' movie nailed that point. 

12 minutes ago, RRA said:

I had a good laugh when people complained about it not having enough Godzilla. Did they ever see the old films? You're mostly stuck with stock (Japanese) characters waiting for the dudes in rubber suits to show up and duke it out. For better or worse, Edwards' movie nailed that point. 

But that crap doesn't fly anymore. People want to see the main attraction early and often. This isn't the 60's, 70's, and 80's anymore. 

Edited by Bishop54

42 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

And giant monster movies legs (outside Jurassic Park) can often be really weak to start with, Godzilla legs were still better than Cloverfield, 1998 Godzilla had some of the worst leg of that year also.

As for people complaining about not enough of Godzilla (I think it was well done that anticipation, payoff of seeing him was really well made and the movie was always playing with that) I would imagine that yes they didn't watch for the most part the old classic Japanese movies, even 1933 King-Kong much more seen was probably not seen by the majority of the domestic audience of Kong Island.

The unlikable protagonist was I imagine a bigger issue here (and not achieving to reach the female audience), but the movie still got a B+ cinemascore and those legs are not that specially bad for the genre considering the size of the OW and Days of Future past opened (90m 3 days ow/110m 4 days) during it's second weekend that is huge competition to a movie that was playing the best with the younger male demo.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

But that crap doesn't fly anymore. People want to see the main attraction early and often. This isn't the 60's, 70's, and 80's anymore. 

Does it? When does Batman actually show up in BATMAN BEGINS? I lost track, maybe a hour? 40 minutes? Whatever point is, people in 2005 and beyond didn't seem to mind. 

1 hour ago, RRA said:

Does it? When does Batman actually show up in BATMAN BEGINS? I lost track, maybe a hour? 40 minutes? Whatever point is, people in 2005 and beyond didn't seem to mind. 

That's an origin story, you can't really start out an origin story about Batman with Batman.

1 hour ago, RRA said:

Once Batman showed up though, did they cut away from the action? Did Nolan tease us with a Batman fight only to show us an entire side mission that Rachel Dawes is on which has nothing to do with the main mission?

The point is not about hiding the main character, it is what you do once the main character finally shows up. All origin movies start without the character, but once they are there, they are rightly the focus. Once Godzilla was revealed in all his glory, he should not have been hidden or cut away from post that.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, a2knet said:

and killing the good actor people thought was the lead while the film really being lead by a robot.

That bait and switch was a big clusterfuck. Cranston was huge at the time and people were hyped for Walter White vs Godzilla. Instead, they got Android Taylor Johnson. :gold:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

That bait and switch was a big clusterfuck. Cranston was huge at the time and people were hyped for Walter White vs Godzilla. Instead, they got Android Taylor Johnson. :gold:

yes. the character of:WHATanabe: was also badly etched out. probably most disappointing considering how good an actor he is and that his Japanese nationality fit especially well in this movie. they got some tough things right but screwed things which should have been simpler.

Edited by a2knet

6 minutes ago, a2knet said:

yes. the character of:WHATanabe: was also badly etched out. probably most disappointing considering how good an actor he is and that his Japanese nationality fit especially well in this movie. they got some tough things right but screwed things which should have been simpler.

Agreed. Oh, well, at least :WHATanabe: got an iconic line/emoji/meme:

89c.gif

which is better than what Cranston got (early exit and a robot for a son). 

Edited by Valonqar

10 hours ago, grim22 said:

Once Batman showed up though, did they cut away from the action? 

Yeah, they did. Go watch BB again (quite good movie still!), its not the balls to the walls action film you seem to remember. Lots of scenes of Bruce/Rachel flirting/drama, Bruce playing a playboy, Alfred having to give him a pep speech, Rachel going to Arkham, that doomed birthday party when the bad guy shows up, etc. 

I'm sorry but pinpointing the lack of a monster in GODZILLA and focusing on that as being the core supposed fatal flaw instead of looking at more warranted areas of real issues  in that film (notice I haven't disagreed with folks complaining about getting Dead Quicksilver instead of Walter White as the actual lead) is up there with whining about Marvel movies being too jokey, BVS/MOS being "too serious!", a female character wearing heels in JURASSIC WORLD, and other silly complaints that people obsess over.  

26 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

They teased Godzilla way too much. First time I was "ah cool" and then the next time I was like "hmmmm, ok" and then the third time it happened I got very agitated. I'm pretty sure many people felt the same way.

This is a very good point. People don't want to be teased forever. You have to deliver and if that doesn't happen or takes too long so people stop caring if it ever happens, you only have yourself to blame. 

• Like 1

Godzilla 2014 is one of those movies where i can understand everyone who love it or hate it. It has many obvious flaws and many obvious qualitys. Ultimately, it is a prime example of dividing an audience, which is always bad for a movies legs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RRA said:

Yeah, they did. Go watch BB again (quite good movie still!), its not the balls to the walls action film you seem to remember. Lots of scenes of Bruce/Rachel flirting/drama, Bruce playing a playboy, Alfred having to give him a pep speech, Rachel going to Arkham, that doomed birthday party when the bad guy shows up, etc. 

I'm sorry but pinpointing the lack of a monster in GODZILLA and focusing on that as being the core supposed fatal flaw instead of looking at more warranted areas of real issues  in that film (notice I haven't disagreed with folks complaining about getting Dead Quicksilver instead of Walter White as the actual lead) is up there with whining about Marvel movies being too jokey, BVS/MOS being "too serious!", a female character wearing heels in JURASSIC WORLD, and other silly complaints that people obsess over.  

And where did I say it was a balls to the wall action movie? Just that when Batman showed up, Batman showed up. Once Godzilla was revealed in Hawaii, the cutaways stopped making sense because you have revealed the monster. Even the studio knows that, which is why Kong didn’t hide Kong post reveal, and Godzilla 2 will focus on the monster fights instead of human melodrama.

• Like 2