A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

1 hour ago, LeoC said:

Shit. WW opening weekend record is dead.

Nope, WW OW record is still very likely within reach, because this time US/NA opens in the same week. :)

Currently the record holder is The Fate of the Furious, at $541

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/worldwideopenings.htm

If NA/US opens to more than 240m, we just need slightly over $300 from oversea ex-China to break WW OW record.

However, the Oversea OW record of $443m held also by FotF will be as hard to beat as Thanos in IW.

Edited by justvision
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, justvision said:

Nope, WW OW record is still very likely within reach, because this time US/NA opens in the same week. :)

Currently the record holder is The Fate of the Furious, at $541

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/worldwideopenings.htm

If NA/US opens to more than 240m, we just need slightly over $300 from oversea ex-China to break WW OW record.

However, the Oversea OW record of $443m held also by FotF will be as hard to beat as Thanos in IW.

I think it's doable. HP7 part 2 opened internationally to $314m without china, now I know that it had favourable exchange rates, a larger opening in Japan than Avengers can and was in summer. But it's our best comparison imo.

although the other comparison is Jurassic world, except that opened to $216m without china!

Edited by feasby007

3 minutes ago, UserHN said:

Can IW gross more than $200M in China?

TA made 86M (2012) 

IM3 made 121M (2013)

AoU made 240M (2015)

CA:CW made 180M (2016)

I'd say the 200-250M should be the target for IW. Wouldn't be surprised if it goes higher to 300M or more.

What would surprise me is if it goes below 200M

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

TA made 86M (2012) 

IM3 made 121M (2013)

AoU made 240M (2015)

CA:CW made 180M (2016)

I'd say the 200-250M should be the target for IW. Wouldn't be surprised if it goes higher to 300M or more.

What would surprise me is if it goes below 200M

I am skeptical with $300m, but who knows... Anyway, I agree that $200m is the floor.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, peludo said:

I am skeptical with $300m, but who knows... Anyway, I agree that $200m is the floor.

However much I believe 200m will happen. I wouldn't say it's the floor necessarily. Especially with China rejecting Hollywood action movies as of late. If Infinity War is not *quite* up to scratch for China's liking, then I could see it narrowly missing $200m. Highly unlikely, but not impossible. I think over 300 is more likely than under 200, but both are possible

• Like 1