A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

2 hours ago, fmpro said:

Ratings should fall but impressive non the less..

This could break out. Nothing big next weekend

next week:3 weekdays.Then Thursday Qingming Festival.Friday and Saturday is holiday.Sunday is half holiday.Very perfect release date.

Edited by bangbingchan
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

25 minutes ago, a2knet said:

What are the chances RPO can have a 3x multiplier off the ow. With a strong rating legs in China can be amazing.

Could have a great chance with these ratings and no competition next weekend.

Who knows. With bad WOM it seems easier to predict sometimes.

But i would not be surprised if it did 40/160 mill$ if ratings holds up

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 2

In recent years, Disney has been able to secure day-and-date releases for many of its biggest tentpoles in China. But it appears Beijing regulators were unwilling to budge on their usual blackout policy, which allows only locally made Chinese films to open over important national holidays. This year, Chinese Labor Day falls on Monday April 30 and Tuesday May 1, making a long weekend. 

Disney is planning a major Avengers Tour at the Shanghai Disney Resort on April 19 to promote the release. No word yet on exactly which talent will be on hand for the extravaganza.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/avengers-infinity-war-sets-china-release-date-1098513

unnamed.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wedgie said:

is Tomb Raider still holding on in China ?

Upto 76.2 usd right now but has lost a lot of screens this weekend. 80 million looks very unlikely right now. 

Black Panther is almost completely dead. It’s at 105m usd and will not do more than that. 

Ready Player 1 is looking at a standard 4x of the presales rather than the 5x that TR pulled. Too early still but if the pace doesnt improve over the evening then under TR OD is likely. But its high rating could help it to grow a lot over the weekend

34 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

RP1 at 33m yuan at 2:30pm. Heading to about 66-70m yuan (10.5-11.5m usd) OD it seems. 

i think it should manage $35+ ow with something like $11 + $14 (+27%) + $10 (-29%), or better maybe going by the rating.

3 hours ago, sgchn40 said:

The number and ratings show

that in terms of movies at least, Chinese are more receptive to foreign language films than North America. 

We dont do subbed and dubbed. I watch foreign films(subbed only) but with hollywood making big budget films and remaking great foreign films into english for 100 years, we are spoiled. Its like the French drinking imported wine or the use of ketchup and ranch dressing, rarely happens:D

RPO with a 9.2.  Lets see if it can bump 50% instead of 30% on saturday, and if it can hold better than -25% on sunday. HLWD due for a runner.

Its running at 4.5m p/h. should get up to the high 70s

PS for tomorrow pacing for over 20m and should do over 5x for 100m+

me thinks 80m/120m/97m is a possibility for 300m/$47m weekend

ill go with $40-47m for now

• Like 6
  • Astonished 2

56 minutes ago, POTUS said:

We dont do subbed and dubbed. I watch foreign films(subbed only) but with hollywood making big budget films and remaking great foreign films into english for 100 years, we are spoiled. Its like the French drinking imported wine or the use of ketchup and ranch dressing, rarely happens:D

RPO with a 9.2.  Lets see if it can bump 50% instead of 30% on saturday, and if it can hold better than -25% on sunday. HLWD due for a runner.

Its running at 4.5m p/h. should get up to the high 70s

PS for tomorrow pacing for over 20m and should do over 5x for 100m+

me thinks 80m/120m/97m is a possibility for 300m/$47m weekend

ill go with $40-47m for now

Im on board with a 45-48 mill $ weekend. It could hit 80 mill late tonight if it almost doubles up from 6-9 pm

• Like 1

So Douban is normally lower than Maoyan but about 0.5 or more, but at this current moment, BOTH Douban and Maoyan are at a solid 9.2. Has the rating on both sites ever been the same for this big of a film?

54 minutes ago, firedeep said:

ZeeSoh was conservative. It's going to clear 85-90m today.

90-140-115=345m OW, me thinks

Yup its gonna blow past my earlier high end. Its having very strong late afternoon/evening walkups which were not evident earlier during the day hence why i lowballed. 

This is gonna blow past TR OD and OW. OD in the 80’s is likely

Edited by ZeeSoh
  • Like 3