A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

8 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

When is RPO supposed to start getting those big numbers? Because as far as I can tell, it began below Black Panther and PRU.

It's the WOM game. Coco, zootopia, and dangal all opened well below BP and PRU but ended up grossing double of both of them. RPO with a smaller OD is projected to make same ow as both of them or little lower. Will have the same saturday as both.

1 hour ago, MrGlass2 said:

When is RPO supposed to start getting those big numbers? Because as far as I can tell, it began below Black Panther and PRU.

1 hour ago, Premium George said:

For comparison this is for black panther,

Fri- 143m

Sat- 170m

Sun- 110m

For RPO,

Fri- 87m

Sat- 165m (projected)

Sun- 145-175 (most probably near the high)

and if sunday has a small bump it will lead to a second weekend increase instead of an 80% drop and 4x+ OW instead 1.6x

48 minutes ago, Michael Seng Wah said:

RPO is at 55mil as of 130pm, +5-6mil every 0.5h

Possible to break 150mil?

it should, its running at 11m per hour and should increase at 6pm. anything above 50%(128m) is great. The critical hold is tomorrow to determine whether or not it can hold flat next weekend, thats where the juice is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

12 minutes ago, fmpro said:

Hmmm

Does`ent sundays presales look a little weak compared to saturday if we want RPO to stay flat or increase?

heading to 22-24m. the multi usually gets larger on sunday

even if it falls short, wed will play like a friday nite, thursday thru sunday will be big

i think itll be over 1b/$150m next sunday

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, POTUS said:

heading to 22-24m. the multi usually gets larger on sunday

even if it falls short, wed will play like a friday nite, thursday thru sunday will be big

i think itll be over 1b/$150m next sunday

Looks like it.

But i doubt it can hit anywhere near 24 mill by midnight. So a sunday drop is in the cards. Should be a small drop though

18 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

China Box Office never fails to surprise

Isn't that why we love following it?

Very much fun to follow. RPO looking at more than double of PRU...no one could have seen that coming.

China is fun cause it defies expectations. We expected it embrace a rancid movie made to pander to its market. They rejected it and embraced a good movie with pop culture references unknown to the market. They embraced Coco cause cultural similarities (respect for elders). Fun times.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

China is fun cause it defies expectations. We expected it embrace a rancid movie made to pander to its market. They rejected it and embraced a good movie with pop culture references unknown to the market. They embraced Coco cause cultural similarities (respect for elders). Fun times.

As an ethnic Chinese, I think this movie going behavior is very much like how we choose food. For centuries we go to eataries/food outlets/hawker stalls based on WOM of common people and individual tastes. How often do you see ads/commersials of Chinese restaurants?

As a people know for their pragmatism, I don't think Chinese GA read critics' review before going for movies, and marketing and advertisement can only create hype for a brief period. It is amazing to see how in this digital age the Chinese people make use of prosumers site like Douban and general comsumers site like Maoyan to make individual choices for movies based on WOM.

• Like 2