A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

1 hour ago, Olive said:

Andhadhun daily already over Shazam, 30% drop for the the latter

23 hours ago, Brinatico said:

I don't know how de 1.4x fit for SHAZAM! with a Monday 10mn+.

Maybe the math on China is different 🤔🤔🤔

wow. CBO is merciless  1.2x OW looking good

• Haha 6
  • Astonished 2

30 minutes ago, Matthew said:

1.2xOW means only 37M wtf.. 

You are joking right? 

Probably not. If the drops keep up, they will keep reducing screens like crazy. 7.8 maoyan is a bad rating for CBM films. 

1.25 legs is 38 I think roughly.

Edited by cdsacken

45 minutes ago, Matthew said:

1.2xOW means only 37M wtf.. 

You are joking right? 

CBO wom, good or bad, spreads fast. Thats why its fun to track either way.  We constantly have to adjust higher or lower at times. No joke

30% drop on tues is almost unheard of.

20 hours ago, POTUS 2020 said:

Yes, poor reception and get wacked, especially with current competition

5 small releases will take 50% of shows

P Storm and AD are holding much better and will retain more of their shows gobbling a majority of the other 50%.

Shazam show % has already dropped from 34% on Friday to 25% today. 23% tomorrow. It will likely have less than 8% shows this friday and drop 85-90% for second weekend. 

Could go like this

M  11

T     9

W   7.5

th   6.5

F    5

S    10

S    7.5

M-Th 9

3rd week 5

70.5m  1.35x OW

I was too conservative yesterday. revised, and I may be too high

M     11

T        7.5

W      6

Th     4.8

F       2

S       3

S       2

M-Th 2

Wk3  0

Tot   38.3   1.188x OW

15 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Probably not. If the drops keep up, they will keep reducing screens like crazy. 7.8 maoyan is a bad rating for CBM films. 

1.25 legs is 38 I think roughly.

204m OW 1.188x

Edited by POTUS 2020
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Damn, I always expected Shazam to have a mediocre reception in China, but i still thought it would reach about 80M, but now it won't even reach half of that already small box office.

Shazam is most probably the most hated Superhero movie in many, many years in China.

If i would make a guess why Shazam is so hated in China i think its a combination of the humor not working at all, little action, demon possession of the bad guy. The personalities of the characters as well as the foster home setting probably doesn't work at all in China. Don't forget that China has a very traditional view on family and things like foster care is practically unheard of there.

Edited by LordNox

1 hour ago, POTUS 2020 said:

CBO wom, good or bad, spreads fast. Thats why its fun to track either way.  We constantly have to adjust higher or lower at times. No joke

30% drop on tues is almost unheard of.

I was too conservative yesterday. revised, and I may be too high

M     11

T        7.5

W      6

Th     4.8

F       2

S       3

S       2

M-Th 2

Wk3  0

Tot   38.3   1.188x OW

204m OW 1.188x

Damn. If this comes true, this will be my 1st time encountering such low multi since I became a member of BOT.

Edited by UserHN
  • Like 1

@LordNox rather than thinking why China hates Shazam here's something you should consider. In India nobody gives a shit about Star Wars or for that matter most Asian countries. Now in US or in most European people like that movie and watch it like crazy. But I'm not even remotely interested because to me it looks boring. Same is with china they are different people and they have different taste. So rather than hating it might be a simple case of not caring about the movie at all coz Shazam really doesn't sound like a superhero movie, like it has no great action scenes and wtf moments and cgi fest which others does have. Shazam isn't even like Antman like you can say damn he can ride an ant, but more of a american comedy movie with mostly  american jokes. So there you have it... 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Nero said:

@LordNox rather than thinking why China hates Shazam here's something you should consider. In India nobody gives a shit about Star Wars or for that matter most Asian countries. Now in US or in most European people like that movie and watch it like crazy. But I'm not even remotely interested because to me it looks boring. Same is with china they are different people and they have different taste. So rather than hating it might be a simple case of not caring about the movie at all coz Shazam really doesn't sound like a superhero movie, like it has no great action scenes and wtf moments and cgi fest which others does have. Shazam isn't even like Antman like you can say damn he can ride an ant, but more of a american comedy movie with mostly  american jokes. So there you have it... 

But so was FRIENDS or any other vastly successful comedy show, having American jokes.

My friends have liked Shazam, all of them. Its just doing the numbers Wonder Woman did in India.