A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

2 hours ago, NCsoft said:

Doing around Endgame would a very pessimistic scenario. Fall very short, that's not really possible.

You Avatar fanboys are way too arrogant. Yes Avatar 2 may do more than 600M but calling it pessimistic is too much.. You know because of this fucking throwing around the numbers that it will do 1B in China and 5Billies and whatnot nonsense everyone is tired... But when someone is banned you cry hypocrisy

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Nero said:

You Avatar fanboys are way too arrogant. Yes Avatar 2 may do more than 600M but calling it pessimistic is too much.. You know because of this fucking throwing around the numbers that it will do 1B in China and 5Billies and whatnot nonsense everyone is tired... But when someone is banned you cry hypocrisy

This is ridiculous. First of all, I have never thrown around 5B worldwide predictions, that's more IronJimbo's habit, but he probably mostly do it jokingly as well, that's just his personality, and I was one of the first Jim fanboys to say that based on opening Friday and Saturday performances, Endgame surpassing Avatar is legitimately possible, so maybe begin with treating us as different people, which we are, and stop looking at us like some caricatures?

Second, being Chinese myself, and I spend considerable amount of time on the Chinese internet, in fact, back in 2009 I specifically followed Avatar's insane box office run mostly in Chinese online communities and witnessed all the craziness. I think I have a pretty good gauge at online interest in China to make statements like that! I say that $600 M for Avatar 2 is pessimistic in China not based on some delusion, but just personal observation:

1. Huge online interest + unprecedented Maoyan like count for a film without a name and more than 1.5 years from release.

2. The first film was released in early 2010, tripled the previous highest grosser, and made 200 M in a market 5-6 times smaller than it is now. Partly responsible for China's post 2010 market expansion.

3. Cameron's last 3 films all became China's highest grossing film of all time , first with True Lies, then with Titanic (more than double the historical highest grosser), and Avatar (tripled the highest grosser of all time)

Based on these, do you think saying Avatar making $600 M is pessimistic is a "out there" statement? Or do I not have a right to make a statement based on my own judgement without being seen as a cult member? I didn't even say that it's impossible to make $600M, I simply said it's pessimistic.

By the way, saying Avatar could make 1B in China is not delusional. Avatar 2 does not need to triple the previous all time record or more than double it, like Titanic or Avatar did. It just need to more or less get on the same level. If Wolf Warrior 2 can do $850M+ back in 2017, with China's level of market expansion, and now ticket price rising fast, and with Avatar's ratio of 3D/IMAX showings, it is quite possible that it can come under WW2's attendance record (less ticket sold), yet still make almost $1B in 2021 just based on ticket inflation and premium showing ratio, didn't The Wandering earth do a similar thing just earlier this year (box office inflated by higher ticket prices and premium showings), and then Endgame again? and 2021, that's 3.5 more years of market expansion, so more potential moviegoers to begin with, a bigger market.

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

This is ridiculous. First of all, I have never thrown around 5B worldwide predictions, that's more IronJimbo's habit, but he probably mostly do it jokingly as well, that's just his personality, and I was one of the first Jim fanboys to say that based on opening Friday and Saturday performances, Endgame surpassing Avatar is legitimately possible, so maybe begin with treating us as different people, which we are, and stop looking at us like some caricatures?

Second, being Chinese myself, and I spend considerable amount of time on the Chinese internet, in fact, back in 2009 I specifically followed Avatar's insane box office run mostly in Chinese online communities and witnessed all the craziness. I think I have a pretty good gauge at online interest in China to make statements like that! I say that $600 M for Avatar 2 is pessimistic in China not based on some delusion, but just personal observation:

1. Huge online interest + unprecedented Maoyan like count for a film without a name and more than 1.5 years from release.

2. The first film was released in early 2010, tripled the previous highest grosser, and made 200 M in a market 5-6 times smaller than it is now. Partly responsible for China's post 2010 market expansion.

3. Cameron's last 3 films all became China's highest grossing film of all time , first with True Lies, then with Titanic (more than double the historical highest grosser), and Avatar (tripled the highest grosser of all time)

Based on these, do you think saying Avatar making $600 M is pessimistic is a "out there" statement? Or do I not have a right to make a statement based on my own judgement without being seen as a cult member? I didn't even say that it's impossible to make $600M, I simply said it's pessimistic.

By the way, saying Avatar could make 1B in China is not delusional. Avatar 2 does not need to triple the previous all time record or more than double it, like Titanic or Avatar did. It just need to more or less by on the same level. If Wolf Warrior 2 can do $850M+ back in 2017, with China's level of market expansion, and now ticket price rising fast, and with Avatar's ratio of 3D/IMAX showings, it is quite possible that it can come under WW2's attendance record (less ticket sold), yet still make almost $1B in 2021 just based on ticket inflation and premium showing ratio, didn't The Wandering earth do a similar thing just earlier this year (box office inflated by higher ticket prices and premium showings), and then Endgame again? and 2021, that's 3.5 more years of market expansion, so more potential moviegoers to begin with, a bigger market.

No offense , but you should treat both sides fairly. You said in Avengers Monday thread to not bring down Avatar performance and mentioning bad thing about it. Yet you're nowhere to be seen when those Jim gang infected the thread with all those Avatar and Avatar 2 nonsenses. They also tried to stir away conversation from EG to those nonsenses. Where are you , brother??? Just reading and enjoying , I guess. 

Here's the bottom line :

One person or maybe more insult Avatar --> you warned him

Cameron fanboys messing the thread about Avatar nonsenses --> silent 

No wonder some people don't like your behavior cause you exactly sound like a Cameron fanboy playing victim.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Claudio said:

No offense , but you should treat both sides fairly. You said in Avengers Monday thread to not bring down Avatar performance and mentioning bad thing about it. Yet you're nowhere to be seen when those Jim gang infected the thread with all those Avatar and Avatar 2 nonsenses. They also tried to stir away conversation from EG to those nonsenses. Where are you , brother??? Just reading and enjoying , I guess. 

Here's the bottom line :

One person or maybe more insult Avatar --> you warned him

Cameron fanboys messing the thread about Avatar nonsenses --> silent 

No wonder some people don't like your behavior cause you exactly sound like a Cameron fanboy playing victim.

Your point noted, however, I'm a part of the Cameron stan, and you're asking me to stay 100% neutral, while MCU fans are not subjected to the same standard? I'm all for discussions comparison box office performances, in fact, I'm sure you don't need me to write an essay again about market expansion, global inflation and how 2.78B in 2009 is different from 2.78B in 2019, so if I downplay endgame's performance, as long as I'm being logical and have things to back me up, I don't see a problem with a healthy discussion. People have been downplaying Avatar's performance for years.

What I have never done, is calling MCU "a total fad and is now found dead in a ditch" or "James Cameron found dead" or "the evil has been defeated", so when he does that to Avatar, I called him out. It's simple, in these forums, Avatar is low class citizen, if Jim gang don't call out bad behavior, no one does it for us.

Edited by NCsoft

40 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Your point noted, however, I'm a part of the Cameron stan, and you're asking me to stay 100% neutral, while MCU fans are not subjected to the same standard? I'm all for discussions comparison box office performances, in fact, I'm sure you don't need me to write an essay again about market expansion, global inflation and how 2.78B in 2009 is different from 2.78B in 2019, so if I downplay endgame's performance, as long as I'm being logical and have things to back me up, I don't see a problem with a healthy discussion. People have been downplaying Avatar's performance for years.

What I have never done, is calling MCU "a total fad and is now found dead in a ditch" or "James Cameron found dead" or "the evil has been defeated", so when he does that to Avatar, I called him out. It's simple, in these forums, Avatar is low class citizen, if Jim gang don't call out bad behavior, no one does it for us.

It's okay to be a Cameron fan. What's not okay is to be an annoying Cameron fan that messing and spamming another thread with nonsenses. The reason why I said that ( my previous post that you replied ) for you is to told you about how can people judge you as an annoying Cameron fanboy cause you clearly didn't know from where that judgement came.

Another thing , I'm not asking you to be neutral. I'm just asking you to called out the other Cameron member who tried to derail the Avengers thread and fill it with  nonsense too ( not just one sided ).  In that way , you can be viewed as different than those annoying fanboy and you won't be called as an arrogant.

Edited by Claudio
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

What's your opinion on jimbo calling marvel fans brain dead?

48 minutes ago, Claudio said:

It's okay to be a Cameron fan. What's not okay is to be an annoying Cameron fan that messing and spamming another thread with nonsenses. The reason why I said that ( my previous post that you replied ) for you is to told you about how can people judge you as an annoying Cameron fanboy cause you clearly didn't know from where that judgement came.

Another thing , I'm not asking you to be neutral. I'm just asking you to called out the other Cameron member who tried to derail the Avengers thread and fill it with  nonsense too ( not just one sided ).  In that way , you can be viewed as different than those annoying fanboy and you won't be called as an arrogant.

You are pretty much asking me to be 100% neutral, because I could do exactly the same thing. Why aren't all the MCU fanboys call out the vicious attacks on Avatar and Cameron? Literally no one called him out, that why I decided to do it. And why aren't you criticizing MCU fanboys who are not calling their peers out? and more importantly, when MCU fanboys don't call bad behaviors out, why aren't they the "arrogant and annoying fanboys who are delusional",  why are Cameron fanboys and me subjected to a different moral standard? 

It's really not my job to call out every potentially "problematic" behavior, we have mods for that, I'm not even around that much. However, there are occasions where particularly vicious attack against Cameron and Avatar (which I both love), that are totally ignored by users and mods, where if they said the same thing to DC, guess what would happen? So I just decided to say something,. Otherwise why would I constantly be interfering with what other people do or say? I want to discuss box office, I am not a "moral assessment officer", and I should not be expected to be one.

It is true that Jimbo has some really "out there" behaviors, I think everybody knows that, even though I mostly enjoy his presence here on these forums. But if people are lumping all us Cameron fans as some "collective lunatic individual" simply because Jimbo's style of communication, then it's not really my fault is it? Cameron fans come in all shapes and forms. I mean, my behavior speaks for itself, and I can only really testify for my behavior.

Edited by NCsoft

2 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

This Cameron/MCU crap is getting really annoying, really quick. Take it to the Fanboy Wars thread. 

I didn't initiate it, just to be clear. I made a prediction about Avatar 2's performance in China in reply to another member.

2 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

Getting back on topic... 

Maoyan has been frozen for the past hour or two... hope it doesn't stay like that for most of Wednesday because it should be an exciting day!

It should. They may be updating the system or stalled the counter for a bit. Only 7am over there. 

6 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

It should. They may be updating the system or stalled the counter for a bit. Only 7am over there. 

Haha, I know. 

I think I'm just so used to Endgame being so big this past week that sales were moving even at 6am and 7am the past days, which I know is not the norm. 

Edited by VanillaSkies

Films like Wolf Warrior 2, Operation Red Sea & documentary Amazing China were criticized by central leadership after trade wars began. According to knowledgeable people’s descriptions, these films about Chinese (military) power made China be pretty passive in international position. Those low level leadership will not be able to support these films any more. Also, Wolf Warrior 3 will have no chance to get release license no matter if the production start or not. In some way these films are banned.

• Astonished 3
  • Sad 4
  • ...wtf 1

22 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Films like Wolf Warrior 2, Operation Red Sea & documentary Amazing China were criticized by central leadership after trade wars began. According to knowledgeable people’s descriptions, these films about Chinese (military) power made China be pretty passive in international position. Those low level leadership will not be able to support these films any more. Also, Wolf Warrior 3 will have no chance to get release license no matter if the production start or not. In some way these films are banned.

This is shocking to me, I was expecting WW3 to come out smashing records, not that I'm the biggest fan but box office wise, it's certainly fun to track...

Also, another consequence is... These are the Chinese films that do the best, if they don't get a release, Hollywood might be in a stronger position, and also the yearly total box office of Chinese market might not grow by as much, if at all.

Edited by NCsoft