firedeep

China Box Office: General Discussion Thread

based on Korean reactions, TS4 will have average WOM in China among animations.

Spirited Away 9.7 Maoyan score seems to come in play. ¥16mn OD pre-sales likely. That will bode into ¥65-75mn OD going by recent multiples. Though I won't put force on that.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Read many reactions praising 3rd Act action. China breakout incoming.

For who? TS4 or Spirited Away?

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Claudio said:

For who? TS4 or Spirited Away?

ofcourse Toy Story 4

Woody uses a hammer to pulp beat the purple toy. Buzz literally snap him out.

Edited by Charlie Jatinder

1 hour ago, firedeep said:

based on Korean reactions, TS4 will have average WOM in China among animations.

Naver Audience rating 9.65. So what's the issue with WOM in Korea?

4 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

FFH ;) 

It's TS4 lol :sweat:. Besides it's too random if Charlie suddenly talked about FFH when the conversation was around TS4 and SA.

5 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

ofcourse Toy Story 4.

well , how can I know. You didn't say what movie it was about. And the last comment that you posted was about SA so I presumed it's for SA but I didn't remember many action in the 3rd act of SA. So yeah I was confused. 😂

• Haha 1

KOTM Thu 6.2 atm compared to 6.31 Wed.

Wonder if Thu can go over Wed eventually though it's nearly the end of the day.

Fri drop shouldn't be more than 40-45% imo. 30-35% drop would be great.

3 hours ago, a2k said:

KOTM Thu 6.2 atm compared to 6.31 Wed.

Wonder if Thu can go over Wed eventually though it's nearly the end of the day.

Fri drop shouldn't be more than 40-45% imo. 30-35% drop would be great.

$0.90 M / $127.41 M ....

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

I remember one of @Olive or @Gavin Feng saying that. Titanic had one but I am not sure if Avatar had one.

Titanic was pretty unique, though. I know people in China who rarely see movies, let alone foreign movies, who for some reason have seen Titanic. Even if it didn't make a ton in theaters there because there weren't enough of them, everyone pirated the shit out of it.

• Like 5

Speaking of Titanic re-release. I still remember the funny articles about Kate Winslet being censored. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/titanic-3d-cuts-china-311644

"I've been waiting almost 15 years, and not for the 3D icebergs," said one widely cited micro blog commentator, according to Xinhua News Agency.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2012/apr/13/china-censor-kate-winslet-titanic

One commenter wrote on the internet: "I waited 15 years to see 3D boobs, not a 3D iceberg."

:hahaha:

2 hours ago, Pure Spirit said:

Titanic was pretty unique, though. I know people in China who rarely see movies, let alone foreign movies, who for some reason have seen Titanic. Even if it didn't make a ton in theaters there because there weren't enough of them, everyone pirated the shit out of it.

Nothing will never match what Titanic did.

37 minutes ago, peludo said:

Spot On .... can we count Avatar as well ... ??? 

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, peludo said:

You're right. I was told that after seeing Titanic, many Chinese just assumed that white people like to do whatever white people were doing in Titanic. It created an indelible impression that still lingers.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Sunny Max said:

Spot On .... can we count Avatar as well ... ??? 

Avatar, being abnormaly huge, it is a step behind than the little boat. Titanic sold about 50 million admissions more than Avatar just domestically.

And since we are in Chinese thread, I still find hard to believe the $43m figure in China of 1998 when the market was a joke compared with today...

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&country=CH&id=titanic.htm

It is not even among my top 100 favourite films, but it is, by far, the most impressive run I have ever seen. Nothing comes close to it.

Edited by peludo

12 minutes ago, peludo said:

Avatar, being abnormaly huge, it is a step behind than the little boat. Titanic sold about 50 million admissions more than Avatar just domestically.

And since we are in Chinese thread, I still find hard to believe the $43m figure in China of 1998 when the market was a joke compared with today...

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&country=CH&id=titanic.htm

It is not even among my top 100 favourite films, but it is, by far, the most impressive run I have ever seen. Nothing comes close to it.

Actually for all of us .. this is the best box office run we have ever seen ... for me Avatar's run is the best 2nd in past 25 years .. (AEG being close)

• Like 4

The best run I have seen is easily Endgame. 

If I include India, it will be Baahubali 2.

• Like 1

Something that I read on a different website made me wonder something about the Avengers: Endgame re-release. Is it possible that Endgame didn’t get a re-release back then because they knew that they’d to re-release it before Far From Home too?

I know the chances are close to 0, since these type of things are announced far in advance in China, but since the re-release hasn’t been officially announce yet, I wonder if there is any chance for Endgame returning in China as well. Is Dark Phoenix still playing in China?

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Pure Spirit said:

At some point, I was under the impression that every human being alive has seen "Titanic".

Edited by NCsoft