A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

Yeah, but what was offensive about the cancelled movies?

pointing out the flaws of the Chinese Education System and promoting individualism???  

story of how the ccp and some other rival party united to fight something? 

1 minute ago, The GOAT said:

pointing out the flaws of the Chinese Education System and promoting individualism???  

story of how the ccp and some other rival party united to fight something? 

Oh I see. Why do they allow Disney movies then?

Oh, BTW looking into the true story of The Eight Hundred, I'm surprised they even filmed that movie. Because it's a story about the Republic of China.

11 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Oh I see. Why do they allow Disney movies then?

Oh, BTW looking into the true story of The Eight Hundred, I'm surprised they even filmed that movie. Because it's a story about the Republic of China.

CGI talking lions no harm politically. idk about ppl in china, but my family is chinese and they love nature stuff. so maybe that contributes to it? 

Edited by The GOAT
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

That's ironical considering how they tried to save it from Hollywood with all those limitations on release, etc.

Those limitations on foreign releases (as well as banning foreign TV channels, streaming sites, googles) are never to protect local films to begin with, but to prevent common Chinese people from limitless foreign content. Like censorship, deep down it's a way of controling people's minds, brainwashing them.

13 hours ago, Premium George said:

Gavin do you live in china? Honestly I am scared for you due to news stories I have heard about internet censorship in china. Maybe they were exaggeration. 😌

Nothing is exaggerated ... anyone of us could be arrested for 'unappropriate' comments on the internet or 'illegally' accessing foreign websites. We are taking our chances.

13 hours ago, Sunny Max said:

You Know better than All of us ...  but i want to clear on thing ... China's Economy is not that bad ..

2019 Stats :-

GDP (Purchasing power) :- $27.33 Trillion  1st Position in the World ..

GDP (Nominal) :- $14.37 Trillion  2nd Position in the World Just Behind From USA

Per Capital :- $10,153

Data sometimes could be misleading.

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, movieboner said:

This censorship is getting out of control. I hope China gets rid of it and let their film industry grow if they want to overtake the US film market and increase soft power. 

will never happen. Box office does not mean everthing. China sellls more cars evey year than any other country. That does not give China the strongest auto industry.

3 hours ago, cannastop said:

Why is China cancelling two Chinese movies but allowing The Lion King to be released in Summer?

TLK is harmless. no reason to not allow it to be released, especially when something needs to fill the summer.

5 minutes ago, firedeep said:

will never happen. Box office does not mean everthing. China sellls more cars evey year than any other country. That does not give China the strongest auto industry.

But without censorship, they could have a chance. I mean, maybe without censorship there could be interest in Chinese movies from outside China.

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

But without censorship, they could have a chance. I mean, maybe without censorship there could be interest in Chinese movies from outside China.

Yes, without censorship, China could possibly, eventually, develop some kind of pop culture like Japanese manga, Korea pop, English novels/music, Hollywood films. But CCP requires censorship, like a finish requires water. And censorship kills creativity and free expression. So as long as CCP exists, it is 100% impossible for China to have any kind of strong softpower or culture industry.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WP Kelley said:

Could you explain the conversion so I might follow your conversations with an idea how it is doing in US$?

Thanks

You can just google “X RMB to USD” and it’ll do the conversion. Or “X yuan to dollars.” Works for basically any currency.