firedeep

China Box Office: General Discussion Thread

5 hours ago, movieboner said:

This censorship is getting out of control. I hope China gets rid of it and let their film industry grow if they want to overtake the US film market and increase soft power. 

will never happen. Box office does not mean everthing. China sellls more cars evey year than any other country. That does not give China the strongest auto industry.

3 hours ago, cannastop said:

Why is China cancelling two Chinese movies but allowing The Lion King to be released in Summer?

TLK is harmless. no reason to not allow it to be released, especially when something needs to fill the summer.

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

Oh I see. Why do they allow Disney movies then?

Why do I have this hunch that you want China to ban Disney movies so bad? 😒

5 minutes ago, firedeep said:

will never happen. Box office does not mean everthing. China sellls more cars evey year than any other country. That does not give China the strongest auto industry.

But without censorship, they could have a chance. I mean, maybe without censorship there could be interest in Chinese movies from outside China.

1 minute ago, UserHN said:

Why do I have this hunch that you want China to ban Disney movies so bad? 😒

I definitely don't want them to. I want Zootopia 2 to break records in China.

Disney did make Kundun though.

never heard of it. maybe that's the reason .

2 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

never heard of it. maybe that's the reason .

8e466d0bf74216e569fadac28c289a0b.jpg

Dalai Lama movie released in 1997. Lots of people were banned from entering China because of it.

6 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Dalai Lama movie released in 1997. Lots of people were banned from entering China because of it.

idk maybe they don't ban studios???

23 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

idk maybe they don't ban studios???

So far they dont ban studios. However, as the trade war accelerates, more US companies could be in danger of being banned in China. Look at FedEx.

Why do re releases of Ghibli movies do so well in China?

But without censorship, they could have a chance. I mean, maybe without censorship there could be interest in Chinese movies from outside China.

Yes, without censorship, China could possibly, eventually, develop some kind of pop culture like Japanese manga, Korea pop, English novels/music, Hollywood films. But CCP requires censorship, like a finish requires water. And censorship kills creativity and free expression. So as long as CCP exists, it is 100% impossible for China to have any kind of strong softpower or culture industry.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WP Kelley said:

Could you explain the conversion so I might follow your conversations with an idea how it is doing in US$?

Thanks

You can just google “X RMB to USD” and it’ll do the conversion. Or “X yuan to dollars.” Works for basically any currency.

The Last Wish got trouble from censorship because of it's local title...It's called 伟大的愿望

伟大 - great

的 - of

愿望 - wish

Censorship didn't allow it to have 伟大(great) in it's title. So the new name is 小小的愿望

小小 - little little

小小的愿望 = A Little Wish.

After changing the title name, it should come to July 18th as expected...it should...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Censorship didn't allow it to have 伟大(great) in it's title

:thinking:    

Oh well, if all it needed for release was a title change that’s better situation than Better Days or 800. Thanks for keeping us appraised of these developments.

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

The Last Wish got trouble from censorship because of it's local title...It's called 伟大的愿望

伟大 - great

的 - of

愿望 - wish

Censorship didn't allow it to have 伟大(great) in it's title. So the new name is 小小的愿望

小小 - little little

小小的愿望 = A Little Wish.

After changing the title name, it should come to July 18th as expected...it should...

So this will be the direct competitor of TLK?

Edit: Oh, I forgot. TLK is set to open a week earlier right? So July 12?

Edited by UserHN
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

伟大 - great

的 - of

愿望 - wish

小小 - little little

小小的愿望 = A Little Wish.

the word "great" can only be used to desrible the Party and its leaders ...

It's like in the ancient times, no one shall be named after the emperor. It is forbidden.

This year alone, many TV shows and films have been forced to change names.

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 2
  • Sad 2
  • ...wtf 2
  • Disbelief 1

Will Better Days or The eight hundred be released on any other platform in China? Tv,stream,dvd ect?

Or is it a total ban?

21 minutes ago, fmpro said:

Will Better Days or The eight hundred be released on any other platform in China? Tv,stream,dvd ect?

Or is it a total ban?

It is still possible that the two comes out in Dec or next year. If they can not be released in theaters, then they can not be released in any other platform.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, a2k said:

53-54% drop for KOTM on Mon for 4.25+ and 909+ cume

should again cross 4m on Tuesday. great hold. 930 total looks real ($135)

8 hours ago, WP Kelley said:

Could you explain the conversion so I might follow your conversations with an idea how it is doing in US$?

Thanks

1 usd is about 6.9 yuan. if you search 'x yuan to usd' google's currency converter tool does the conversion.

5 hours ago, cannastop said:

They did ban Disney (or at least all of its content) and for years Disney suffered there as a consequence. Many years later and after a long and concerted effort by Disney, relationships began to mend. And thanks to Iger (and his closeness to Xi) in specific, today Disney has perhaps the best relationship of any studio in China. 

You can read all about their efforts and how Iger made Disney what it is today in China in this very interesting article - https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/15/business/international/china-disney.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3