A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

Just now, Menor said:

Those will be a good indicator of whether critical and audience reception will match. I remember Aladdin got a super high Maoyan.

Aladdin is a 9.0 currently. I’m not sure what it initially started with but I want to say 9.2 before coming down some.

2 minutes ago, Menor said:

Those will be a good indicator of whether critical and audience reception will match. I remember Aladdin got a super high Maoyan.

imo best way would be to wait in general, i believe that you know that china is harder to please if you will, and that  a 8 rating consider to be average there and not good

Edited by john2000

7 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

It was 9.4 or 9.5. Its Maoyan trajectory was pretty similar to Spiderman FFH's.

No. Pretty sure it started at 8.9 and was never at 9.2 or above. These are all the posts in this thread mentioning Aladdin’s Maoyan, quite sure that if it was ever 9.3 or above somebody would have posted about it.

On 5/24/2019 at 3:35 AM, Charlie Jatinder said:

I will say very good OD from PS pov. It looked like 15mn range but will easily cross 20mn.

8.9 Maoyan score. If it follow Dumbo, will go for ¥110mn weekend. I think ¥90-100mn is better pick.

On 5/24/2019 at 9:45 AM, KP1025 said:

Aladdin also up to 9.1 on Maoyan. Seems excellent for live-action musical (Beauty and the Beast only has 8.2 currently). 

On 5/24/2019 at 11:04 PM, Thanos Legion said:

Doesn’t seem to be going in the right direction for that, back down to 9.0 from 9.1 atm

On 5/25/2019 at 2:21 AM, TigerPaw said:

Aladdin back to 9.1 on Maoyan!

Will Godzilla be above 9 next weekend...?

Movies without much of a fanboy rush won’t see the same reliable drop from initial Maoyan to final.

Edited by Thanos Legion

4 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

No. Pretty sure it started at 8.9 and was never at 9.2 or above. These are all the posts in this thread mentioning Aladdin’s Maoyan, quite sure that if it was ever 9.3 or above somebody would have posted about it.

Yeah it started at 8.9 and hovered around the 9 range. Idk why I thought it was 9.4. Still it did reflect the good audience reception that Aladdin got.

6 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

Will TLK break $200m here? I remember some people suggesting it might even have $300-400m potential but idk.

I was never going to make 300-400 mill here. No matter what some experts said.. But 150-200 is certainly possible atp. But if maoyan score is low it could drop below 150 

2 hours ago, Somoset said:

Early Douban score has TLK at 8.1. Pretty solid, but that doesn't necessarily translate to general audiences.  

Avengers: Endgame - 8.6

Spider-Man: Far from Home - 8.0 

The Jungle Book - 7.8 

Aquaman - 7.6 

Hoping for 9.2+ 🤞🤞

16 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

The Lion King starts at 8.9 on Taopiaopiao. Maoyan shouldn't be too far off from this number. 

Hoping for a 9.2 to start. Looks doable based on other films. TPP seems to run 0.2-0.4 lower than Maoyan on average.