A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

35 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

PS for Saturday stands at a solid 35m which is 30% higher than Friday PS. Maoyan score has also increased and stabilized at 9.0. Looking at a solid jump on Saturday of 40-50%

so what could be the weekend ? around 50 ?

4 minutes ago, john2000 said:

Yeah it could get there if it jumps 45% tomorrow and drops 25% on Sunday. Seeing that it's Sunday PS is already quite good and its Summer so Sunday drop wont be as high, I think it gets there. 

16 minutes ago, john2000 said:

Optimistically I guess we could call it 

midnights 3

Friday 96

Sat 149 (+55%)   

Sun 131 (-12%)

¥379M, $55M

pessimistically

130 (+35%)

98 (-24%)   

¥327M, $47.5M

Realistically  

139 (+45%)

114 (-18%)     

¥352M, $51M

TBH those Sundays might be  a bit generous though.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Thanks 1

Glad TLK is going up but had king sized expectations. Felt nostalgia would make this a sleeper blockbuster with strong reception. But even optimistically we might end up with "only" $125. Was thinking double that when the year started. :ph34r:

6 minutes ago, a2k said:

Glad TLK is going up but had king sized expectations. Felt nostalgia would make this a sleeper blockbuster with strong reception. But even optimistically we might end up with "only" $125. Was thinking double that when the year started. :ph34r:

I was also thinking the Lion King would beat Jungle Book easily. That said, I don't think there's much nostalgia for the original animated film in China (I'm not sure it was ever released). 

1 hour ago, a2k said:

Doesn't surprise me one bit. Aladdin was incredible and did what $50ish million?

51 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

Anyone who doesn’t recommend a movie is a hater, gotcha sport.

Pure Spirit please take this conversation to fanboy thread. You are derailing the TLK decision. 

Also you are not funny at all. 

1 hour ago, Pure Spirit said:

Anyone who doesn’t recommend a movie is a hater, gotcha sport.

'Doesn't recommend' is an understatement. Go back to your original comments about EG. Those are the words of someone full of spite for the movie.

21 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

expect $150-200M for H&S. F9 probably will be under F7&F8.

Maybe but since F7 was the first big hit for the franchise in China, it doesn't have the same downsides of franchise fatigue that the series has in the U.S.

If it does drop, under F7 and F8 is still pretty huge numbers unless we are talking a total collapse and the audience for it completely disappears in half in a Thanos like snap. 

On 7/11/2019 at 11:31 PM, Charlie Jatinder said:

lol what if, Mulan pulls a Crazy Rich Asians in China, not in exact gross, but people, myself included, are assuming it will do great because its Chinese story.

I mean, yeah I am expecting it to do huge, but what if?

I can see where your "what if?" comes from but as you pointed out, different situations. CRA is based on Asian American meeting in laws from an Asian country (which isn't even China). It's told from the foreigner's perspective too and based on situations which most Chinese people wouldn't have experienced, especially since even marrying a non Chinese is still pretty rare and even discouraged (although this is changing). There was never a real reason for Chinese audiences to connect to the story. Box office expectations were only based on the weak idea that people would support it just because it was a Hollywood movie with Asian cast. 

Whereas Mulan is a based on a famous Chinese story with well known Chinese cast. There's plenty to resonate and connect with, there's a patriotic aspect to it as well. I even expect it to do better business in China than the U.S.

5 hours ago, KP1025 said:

I was also thinking the Lion King would beat Jungle Book easily. That said, I don't think there's much nostalgia for the original animated film in China (I'm not sure it was ever released). 

It was released but much later and in such a different time for Chinese box office and socially so it didn't have the same impact as it did in the U.S.

Nonetheless, a lot of kids watched it via piracy and later on it's shown on tv on major channels. So the remake definitely has some built in awareness in China among a certain age group, more than something like Aladdin or Dumbo ever did anyway. 

• Like 2