A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

3 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Let's say it's 52.5m what's the likely finish? Maoyan is 9.0 right now. Seems fine

Hmm I think someone like Potus, Olive or others might be better asked that question. I generally dont track movies beyond the OW. 

It doesnt have any significant Hollywood competition until more than a month later when Hobbs & Shaw opens but I am unaware of what the local competition looks like or how it will affect legs. FWIW Maoyan is predicting a 155m total right now. I think it can get there

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

$130m - $160m

It seems there is very heavy local competition coming up (expected given summer was traditionally reserved for them), but the absence of a major Hollywood film until Hobbs & Shaw should help. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pure Spirit said:

Anyone who stans for anything belongs forever in the fanboy thread. Ok 👍 also you meant “discussion” not “decision” I assume. Please be more careful, I expect high quality content here like what you usually post. Thanks.

This. Spirited Away is a masterpiece. My second favorite movie of all time but maybe that belongs in the fanboy war thread? :rolleyes: Seriously though I’ve seen it maybe 6 times and it’s great every time. I watch it every 5 years or so and I get a different meaning from it each time as I get older. It is the Miyazaki film, his Mona Lisa, with The Wind Rises the only movie anywhere close in quality if only because it’s different enough... I dunno, I like all Miyazaki films but Spirited Away just towers above. Even The Wind Rises is a lot more “pedestrian” even if it’s my second favorite Miyazaki.

Wow 4 whole extra posts you had to read, hang in there buddy.

Take this to the fanboy war thread, I haven’t said anything particularly negative about it here. Stop confusing what is said in fanboy wars with the rest of the threads, the movie is just a “not recommended” from me. Words like “hater” belong in the fanboy war thread. Hard to understand? 

Jesus, I liked FFH, but 9.4? Wowwwww. The MCU is like the world’s most impressive house of cards at this point, I’m just here to watch it go up and up until it inevitably crashes but maybe they end the MCU for artistic reasons to avoid that... ... 😂

Maybe Feige can keep this going another 10 years? What an incredible run. It’s like One Piece in its long running streak of quality, although I’d say it needs another 5 (ish) years of success to hit that point, I still find One Piece the most incredible world building artistic achievement of all time in televised media.

One Piece is fine but it doesn't compare to the greatness that is NARUTO.... Too bad Boruto sucks. Naruto as a character has tremendous growth. Luffy still acts like a child.

• Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 2

1 hour ago, Nero said:

One Piece is fine but it doesn't compare to the greatness that is NARUTO.... Too bad Boruto sucks. Naruto as a character has tremendous growth. Luffy still acts like a child.

Yea, but I would argue any One Piece fan worth his salt knows One Piece isnt amazing because of Luffy, if anything its amazing in spite of Luffy, its the incredible world and the characters around Luffy that make it unparalled when it comes to long-running battle shonen. No disrespect to Luffy, I love him, but he's certainly not the reason why One Piece is so great

But hey, it probably comes down to what you watched growing up more than anything, if Naruto was your gig that's fine, it was also pretty damn great

EDIT: Sorry for going so off-topic. 

Great numbers from TLK. I too was hoping for huge numbers, but I think I've been getting ahead of myself in expecting big numbers for Hollywood movies (like for Detective Pikachu and KoTM) after Venom, Aquaman and EG blew the doors off the Chinese box office. 150m finish for what is essentially a Disney animated film would be fantastic 

Also huge grats and thanks to ZeeSoh and others for nailing the OW so well early on in tracking

Edited by Justin4125
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, cannastop said:

I was also considering gross outside Japan.

I am saying that local currency shall be used to measure that.

I mean;

Spirited Away grossed ¥31 Billion in Japan and around ¥6.5 Billion outside Japan in 2002/03 i.e. ¥37.5 Billion Approx.

Your Name grossed ¥23.5 Billion in Japan, J¥9.5 Billion in China and ¥4.5 Billion ($40mn) in rest i.e. ¥37.5 Billion Approx.

Both around same, the local Japan tracker will know better.

After China release, SA is at ¥44.5 Billion.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, POTUS 2020 said:

1300. TLK at 50% of Sat already

We have a decent Sunday bump incoming. Its going to clear 402m/$60 OW

It can coexist with Looking Up.

Is LU considered a family film or sci fi?

Im wondering how much the demos overlap

Any outlook on multiplier?

3 hours ago, POTUS 2020 said:

1300. TLK at 50% of Sat already

We have a decent Sunday bump incoming. Its going to clear 402m/$60 OW

It can coexist with Looking Up.

Is LU considered a family film or sci fi?

Im wondering how much the demos overlap

Looking Up is more of an emotional drama telling the story of how a father encouraged his son to pursue his dreams. I don't think there's too much audience overlap, as the Lion King seems more appealing to children and families.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, a2k said:

With $60 ow for TLK and going by how it trended thinking $150 is more or less certain and $200 can't be ruled out.

I certainly have been wrong before... But i dont see it going that high

Lets wait for sunday results first. Evening could be weak. Who knows

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, fmpro said:

Looking up is all over the place. Havent added anything for 2 hours. No evening shows after KILLING it today??

Most movies seem to have majorly slowed down over the past couple of hours. Few hours ago it seemed like TLK will blast past its Saturday gross but that seems unlikely now. So its either a glitch or this Sunday evening has been unusually slow BO wise. 

Just now, ZeeSoh said:

Most movies seem to have majorly slowed down over the past couple of hours. Few hours ago it seemed like TLK will blast past its Saturday gross but that seems unlikely now. So its either a glitch or this Sunday evening has been unusually slow BO wise. 

I never saw a increase for TLK eventhough it looked strong earlier

Looking up have added zero yuan the last 3 hours. And my question is. Are there no evening shows for it today?

19 minutes ago, fmpro said:

I never saw a increase for TLK eventhough it looked strong earlier

Looking up have added zero yuan the last 3 hours. And my question is. Are there no evening shows for it today?

Been tracking it for the last 3 hours. Seems to be increasing just fine. Added 10M past hour.

16 minutes ago, nguyenkhoi282 said:

Been tracking it for the last 3 hours. Seems to be increasing just fine. Added 10M past hour.

Looking up have been stuck at 24,56 mill the last 3 hours