A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

Yeah, we should not be surprised ... shitty schedule and dates for Hollywood movies continue ... forever (?) ..

That's why when you and others say TF4 or Avatar 2 will make 300 or 400M in China, I'll believe that when I see it. 

FF6 dated for June 20th--for now, anyway. Downsides: No Dragon Boat holiday; only one weekend in theaters before Tiny Times comes along. Upsides: comes out closer to the beginning of the summer holiday and will therefore run longer into the holiday; may well have no competition from any other quota films (except perhaps a cartoon or two), since July will almost definitely be a "domestic protection" month; won't have to share IMAX screens with STID and JP3D, though Monsters University might come out in IMAX around the same time (I'm guessing MU won't get an IMAX run in China, but it could happen). Tiny Times will be huge, but I don't think this is too bad. Of course they could always surprise us and announce something like Man of Steel for the same week...

Edited by Bob Violence

Man of Steel and World War Z will go head to head around September or the last week of August. It is always planned like that.

After Earth will be close to FF6; Paific Rim and Long Ranger will be in late July, close to each other.

Really? WTF!

SARFT is doing it again. :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

I forgot about After Earth. Looks totally bland but normally I would give Big Willie the benefit of the doubt (box-office-wise, not quality-wise). Head to head with FF6 would seriously hurt it, but they're only one week apart in the U.S. too. I assume it's not clear yet how close is "close."

If TLR/PR in late July is true, they're really easing up this summer--last summer it was nothing but cartoons and buyout films from late June to the end of August. Probably a good move, since it looks like the local studios are no more prepared for this summer than they were last year and exhibitors surely don't want another long drought. Plus MU and Epic aren't going to do anything near Ice Age 4 numbers (am I right or wrong to guess that both of them are possibilities for the summer?).

Edited by Bob Violence

I don't get why there aren't more high-profile local films been released this summer, when kids are out of school?  From what I understand, The Monkey King was going to be released in the summer right?  Why pushing these bigger films back?

I don't get why there aren't more high-profile local films been released this summer, when kids are out of school?  From what I understand, The Monkey King was going to be released in the summer right?  Why pushing these bigger films back?

The Monkey King is not ready for the year, more like going next year. Otherwise, this summer will be wholely blackout. Other local tentpoles are also not ready for summer. Several will open around National Holiday in October, rest go for Winter holidays.

Croods is likely to get an extended run (another three or four weeks, still not locked though). If so, 400M is possible.  :o Children's Day is coming.

It crossed 300M on Friday, should be around 320M by Sunday.

That's the thing I don't understand with China, why do they randomly decide which movie will get extension. Last year LOP was blowing up but no extension but this year Croods gets one, fricking ridiculous.  :rant: