A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

3 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Ah, that is, what you meant, thank you.

I think the stories' basics are too different (on earth, hypothetically vs another ... galaxy or... alien, no earth... you know what I mean I guess?), not fully / 100% the same audience (but probably a high intersection?)

I think both have a very close audience range, like in the US right?

1 minute ago, vc2002 said:

I think both have a very close audience range, like in the US right?

Me Germany, can't speak for the US, but I know ppl here who refuse to watch any Sci-Fi (like they to perceive it, not my definition) but watch movies like JW.

Or watch Sci-Fi happening on earth, or without aliens,... or the other way around, only watch Sci-Fi, if not on earth or at least in the far future, love space opera, but not earth 20y in the future, want space and battles in space,...

Those were the reason I based my formulation on, like hypothetically possible = future science = is IMHO Sci-Fi too, at least to a degree, but not in their POV.

Conditions, exceptions,... people are strange sometimes

To be hopefully clear: those are a minority, but in my RL circle of friends? At least 10% or maybe even 20%, who would watch one of those, but not the other for whatever reason.

But me = a bit older already (older than Tele,...), we are often more set in our ways than the younger ones, I have to ask my pupils that next Thursday.

InsideKino.com = a German BO website, that I think is rather very good, has this to say:

Und auch aus China gibt es einen Trend zu vermelden. Dort steuert SW7 auf einen Starttag von $30-$35 Mio. hin, was wiederum auf ein Endergebnis zwischen $150-$210 Mio. schließen lässt.

And also out of China is a trend to report. There SW 7 aims for a OD of $30-35m, ... = ~ a final of $150m-$210m can be concluded out of that

• Like 1

Even for the uninitiated, Jurassic World is much easier to get into. Cloned dinosaurs, rampaging monsters, people running away and being eaten by said monsters, even a low-level morality tale about the perils of trying to create life and play god -- it's all spelled out. 

The world building is murkier in TFA. Han Solo is legendary because of his exploits in the OT. For the same people, they're told he's legendary, rather than discovering for themselves in the movie. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lihongkim said:

Lost in Hong Kong Sat record 246M Yuan is still safe?

3 hours after last update: SW7 135M yuan with presales through the night, it doesn't perform like mojin 2 weeks ago.

yeah, now think OD will be closer to $30M than $35M.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, FranMan said:

Even for the uninitiated, Jurassic World is much easier to get into. Cloned dinosaurs, rampaging monsters, people running away and being eaten by said monsters, even a low-level morality tale about the perils of trying to create life and play god -- it's all spelled out. 

The world building is murkier in TFA. Han Solo is legendary because of his exploits in the OT. For the same people, they're told he's legendary, rather than discovering for themselves in the movie. 

Disney's goal with TFA was to re interest people who already liked Star Wars and gain as many new fans as possible. If China goes on to do 150-200 million that is a huge increase in SW expose in China. 

I would not be surprised if China is the only market in the world where Rogue One does better than TFA,

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, tokila said:

Disney's goal with TFA was to re interest people who already liked Star Wars and gain as many new fans as possible. If China goes on to do 150-200 million that is a huge increase in SW expose in China. 

I would not be surprised if China is the only market in the world where Rogue One does better than TFA,

Yeah. I think we can safely say everyone here, as seen from Olive's post above and others throughout this thread, agrees on this. Forget about Lu Han and his music videos: the real marketing and awareness bringing of the Star Wars brand is TFA itself. Whether Chinese audiences see it or not, love it or not, it's now a bigger part of the conversation.

Edited by FranMan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, vc2002 said:

SW7 is in the same situation as JW. Both franchise were distantly familiar to the Chinese audience.

JW is not the same situation.

JP1 3D re-release gross is Top20 in 2013.It is amazing for a film 20 years ago.JW OD is not huge,because JW release date is too early.Universal market campaign is too weak.It is rare that China is first market to release.Few audience noticed JW is already released.The WOM is good and JW 2nd week is very strong.If market campaign was strong as Disney,JW would beat AoU.It nearly did. Universal studios Beijing will open in five years.JW will be a strong franchise in China.

SW is a unfamiliar film for most Chinese audiences.But it's China.Anything can happen in a year or even half year.Rouge one may break with famous Chinese actors.

Edited by bangbingchan
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, tokila said:

Even without Chinese actors,Rouge one will do better than TFA this year do.screens are increasing  every day,every moment,market will be huge next year.can Rouge one make China another Goldfield for Disney?We will see.

Edited by bangbingchan

2 hours ago, Lihongkim said:

Lost in Hong Kong Sat record 246M Yuan is still safe?

yeah.By the time I woke up this morning,Lost in HK is totally safe.The early shows this morning are not strong. Now TFA is fall short of Mojin first Sat.The WOM is mixed,My prediction  down to $30M/135M.150M isn't dead.it's up to Monday drop.

Edited by bangbingchan

1 hour ago, tokila said:

I think all above SPECTRE would be a huge enough success to have laid a solid foundation. It made $83m

I think we know not enough about it yet (and will not know enough for a very long time), but in theory, only if Rogue One would be done badly (or uses it's Chinese actors in a negative way), bad advertising... it might miss to end as a blockbuster, so yes, Me too wouldn't be surprised about that (but I do not 'expect' it to do so). In local currency.

How earnestly Disney takes the preperation of the Chinese market might also be shown via their contract with the 'streamer' (? term) Tencent (and btw, let's not forget: FOX too had to sign that, might have needed some pretty fast talking by Disney for them to do that with Tencent)