A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

So Frozen got screwed in Japan by the exchange rate?

Frozen was at a 105yen to dollar average. if it was released 1-2 years earlier when the yen was 75-80 it would have made $330m-350m

That 75-80 range was just for a couple years. Historically, it was always over 100y to $1 a couple years before that brief dip.

Didn't get screwed, just missed that short gravy train

yes. today Minions could beat MI5 as well, Pixels is the big bomb. But next weekend they are going to be hit hard by LiH. Plus weekdays are so weak. So I am skeptical about Minions grossing 500m or MI5(1B).

Edit: I know its early days but its looking like LiH will take most of the screens. MI5/Minions will have hardly any screens. So I doubt they will even gross 50m after next thursday.

http://piaofang.maoyan.com/show/rate

Edited by keysersoze123

yes. today Minions could beat MI5 as well, Pixels is the big bomb. But next weekend they are going to be hit hard by LiH. Plus weekdays are so weak. So I am skeptical about Minions grossing 500m or MI5(1B).

It seems that September is an awful month for movies to be released in..

It seems that September is an awful month for movies to be released in..

Its just that they did not do well as what it could. I dont know why the grosses are so low. MI5 is having 2.5 weeks of reasonable screen allocation. Minions is getting only 11 days.

My prediction is MI5 850-900m and Minions 420m.

Edited by keysersoze123

I'm curious what happened to Minions.

Was the amount of marketing confused as actual anticipation and hype in China or was word of mouth bad? I wouldn't think word of mouth was the issue because it isn't like it had a huge opening followed by a big drop-off which would indicate bad word of mouth. Also, Big Hero 6 had piracy issues so I don't think it's just that either.

Yea me too am wondering what happened to Minions and MI5

I think Minions was very lucky to have been very big in all countries and that's why it wasn't affected by China.

If it was like Transformers or even T5 whose gross really was impacted by/hinged on China, then maybe it wouldn't have crossed a billion. Thankfully it crossed 1.07 billion without China so that bodes well with DM3 if it's given the same date in China in 2017.

Edited by MinaTakla

I'm curious what happened to Minions.

Was the amount of marketing confused as actual anticipation and hype in China or was word of mouth bad? I wouldn't think word of mouth was the issue because it isn't like it had a huge opening followed by a big drop-off which would indicate bad word of mouth. Also, Big Hero 6 had piracy issues so I don't think it's just that either.

Minions was unable to reach into middle China -- the third and fourth tier cities that really help films become blockbusters. Minions and other Hollywood animations -- apart from Kung Fu Panda -- still don't interest that demographic. The Chinese market is extremely varied and I'm not sure foreign members of this forum really understand that. I'm also curious as to where the Chinese members on this forum are from and if you can maybe give us some insight into the differences between first/second tier cities and the rest of China.

• Like 2

Edit: I know its early days but its looking like LiH will take most of the screens. MI5/Minions will have hardly any screens. So I doubt they will even gross 50m after next thursday.

http://piaofang.maoyan.com/show/rate

Lik showtimes share will be down to 55-60%.

• Like 1

I just looked at the exchange rate for Japan while Toy Story 3 was being shown there.

Yep, Frozen got screwed.

Frozen would have done about 210-215 million in Japan if it had been released today. Maybe it did not have the best exchange rate but it did not have the worst either. There have been films quite more damaged because of exchange rates (2001-2002 period and today films, for example)

Edited by peludo
  • Like 1