A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

Oh...boy, China.

No respect for Pixar-movies? :(

t seems to me, at least, that China is becoming a huge market for local flicks and strictly action Hollywood blockbusters, more than animated fare or even action dramas like Spectre and MI5..

It's not the gold mine for all Hollywood movies that the media is hyping all year long.

Keyword? 3rd and 4th tier cities as I learned.

• Like 1

It's not the gold mine for all Hollywood movies that the media is hyping all year long.

Of course not all kinds of movies will do big in China. In every market, there are always some genres that do much better than other genres. FI, Young Adult is big in North America and other English speaking markets but it is tough sell in China and many other markets.

This is normal. What would have been abnormal is China behaving exactly like NA. The cultures are different. And China has just had its own modern film industry in the past one and half decades while NA is a mature market with one hundred years of commercial film history. 

But there are two basic things that we should get clear:

1. In China and every other market, to the end of the world, there are always some genres, themes, subjects that trend to do much better than others. There is no wrong with Pixar flicks tanking in China or Russia no matter how great those flicks are. You gotta play it differently in different markets.

2. What does it mean with China's film and overall entertainment market (including box office, VOD, TV, merchandising licensing, theme parks, etc) being expected to become the world's biggest, likely in the range of nearly $60~100 billion per year (30~40% box office, 60~70% others) in the next one or two decades ? Assuming no world war ...

Everyone knows Hollywood comedies are tough sell in China and in fact, everyone knows most Hollywood comedies, especially those R rated ones wont even pass SARFT's to reach Chinese theaters. But what if, someday somehow R rated Hollywood comedies are allowed to reach Chinese theaters ? In this case, granted they will never do as well as sci-fi actions in China but the market is so big that even HANGOVERs, the tough sell genre films, could make millions, (let alone TRANSFOMERSs). This is what is called POTENTIAL.

Most of the time, capital and investment always favor where potential is big instead of where market is big.

Edited by firedeep
  • Like 1

Realistically speaking, how much do you think Mad Max could have made in China had it been released there?

I doubt it would have done much in China. It's basically a western film with some sci-fi elements. Western film has few theater audience in China. I think $40m would be lucky. People thinking a film like Mad Max could do $100m are unrealistic.

Thanks. What about Fri-to-Sun grosses? Is it the highest?

It's LIHK

Edited by firedeep

Will Ghostly Tribe earn as much as Monster Hunt? This  looks like a mish mash of Lord of the Rings, Godzilla & Indiana Jones.

Very ambitious fx-driven movie.

Ghostly Tribe is terrible. After seeing the movie myself, I would say even 1B is not happening.

The Ghouls is the one to watch.