A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

17 hours ago, Polaroids said:

I checked out recent mainland box office hit releases that also had limited releases in the US and they did pretty okay too, considering the number of screens. 

Opening weekends:

Lost In HK - $537,736 from 28 theaters averaging $19,205 (Total: $1,302,281)

Goodbye Mr Loser - $363,949 from 22 theaters averaging $16,543  ($1,293,626)

Mojin - $279,974 from 22 theaters averaging $12,726  (Total: $1,243,810)

Mr Six - $332,117 from 30 theaters averaging $11,071  (Total: $1,413,054)

Looking at their stats, China Lion seems to be doing a better job at distributing Chinese films especially when you consider that Well Go USA usually gets the 3D blockbuster movies (Mojin, Taking of Tiger Mountain, big hits like LiHK) but the numbers they get are still pretty mediocre. It's also interesting that LiHK made almost 70% of Ip Man 3's opening weekend with 1/4 of Ip Man 3's number of theaters. 

Ya recent movies in China have become more popular in the US, with the exception of Monster Hunt which really flopped despite have 45 theaters playing it.v 

China Lion is definitely a much better distributor than Well Go USA, taking into account their marketing efforts and that they have a following in the US, where there are fans requesting them to distribute movies there, their offline marketing efforts should be applaud.

While Well Go USA's marketing efforts is really focused on online, releasing video clips and spoilers online. Eg: They released a fight scene of Ip Man 3 on the release date of Ip MAn 3 and also released the footage of Bruce Lee and Ip Man interacting, which really sparked some anger and resentment from the Hong Kong production team as those scenes are supposed to be surprises for the audiences. Therefore Well Go USA is not good at marketing, other than releasling online trailers, all they do is put some posters in US cinemas so their offline marketing effots or succcess is really very limited.

BTW, i think the comparsion of LIHK and Ip Man 3 is not really fair.
1st) 103 theaters is a bluff, there are only 90 theaters showing Ip Man 3 that weekend based on actual counts.
2nd) The Snow storm caused many theaters eg: New York AMC 25 and 2 other theaters in NYC and 3 theaters in Washington DC to be closed down on Saturday and the whole weekend respectively, so the actual theater counts is actually closer to 70 instead of 103.
3rd) No. of showtimes. No of theaters is not a good indicator because base on what I am seeing last weekend on Fandango, Ip Man 3 is playing once or twice in many of those 90* theaters while LiHK was having much more showtimes throughout the day during its release, so despite the no of theaters.. LiHK might actually have similar or more shows in its opening weekend.

Not forgetting like I mentioned earlier, China Lion is much better in marketing offline and getting the hype over to Chinese audiences.

• Like 2

You can't compare KFP3 with SW7.

1.KFP3 had previews so the rush factor has decreased and the presales are lower.

2.KFP3 is  more a family movie and will open on friday

3.KFP3 is a local movie and SW7 is an imported movie

And i bet you that KFP3's wom will be better.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

You can't compare KFP3 with SW7.

1.KFP3 had previews so the rush factor has decreased and the presales are lower.

2.KFP3 is  more a family movie and will open on friday

3.KFP3 is a local movie and SW7 is an imported movie

And i bet you that KFP3's wom will be better.

wouldn't previews help increase buzz and that should have helped with better pre-sales. I agree with point 2 that friday in a non holiday week will be lot weaker than Saturday. I disagree with KFP3 being a "local movie" its a hollywood movie with involvement with China. Culturally it will play better in China for sure.

on WOM I Hope you mean in china. Most countries I doubt KFP3 will have stronger reception.

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

on WOM I Hope you mean in china. Most countries I doubt KFP3 will have stronger reception.

Most countries will have a release date of March, and I believe by next week a HD Bluray version will be up online, just like Mojin, Mr Six, Detective Chinatown and other Chinese movies with many screens.. Takes less than 3 days for piracy to strike. 

Dreamworks should have aligned the release date for all markets instead of releasing in China and US first, the impact of piracy might affect worldwide gross.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Most countries will have a release date of March, and I believe by next week a HD Bluray version will be up online, just like Mojin, Mr Six, Detective Chinatown and other Chinese movies with many screens.. Takes less than 3 days for piracy to strike. 

Dreamworks should have aligned the release date for all markets instead of releasing in China and US first, the impact of piracy might affect worldwide gross.

Agree, here we will get it after 2 months from the US release - a very stupid move by DW

The pirated version will be with us all early Feb. wow what a missed opp.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MinaTakla said:

Agree, here we will get it after 2 months from the US release - a very stupid move by DW

How comes Bluray HD only in 20 days or even a week?Maybe dvd cam ver is available.The little prince and the peanuts movie both release in China early than OS-C.There is no such thing happen.

Oh man,in China,imported films usually wait for the release date for 2 months or even 3 months in blackout.20 days is not long time.

But I agree that dreamworks should release KFP3 at the same time for most markets.

Edited by bangbingchan

26 minutes ago, MinaTakla said:

(sigh) That's not how it actually works for every animated movie.

Keep in mind that OS-countries tends to always have an own dubbing language. And people want to see the dubbed versions in theaters, regardless.

And what does piracy gonna have to do with the OS-underperformance? There's no reason for it to underperform OS.....i mean....you guys are dissing it too much!

That's not logic....that's pessimism.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

9 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

(sigh) That's not how it actually works for every animated movie.

Keep in mind that OS-countries tends to always have an own dubbing language. And people want to see the dubbed versions in theaters, regardless.

And what does piracy gonna have to do with the OS-underperformance? There's no reason for it to underperform OS.....i mean....you guys are dissing it too much!

That's not logic....that's pessimism.

I want KFP to do well, Rotten Tomatoes is doing well now, most reviews are positive and I like Dreamworks more than Pixar. =/
But the truth is, China will release both English and Mandarin and I am quite sure piracy will strike within the next 2 weeks, and in HD... Not forgetting we are not just talking about China, but remembering that a wide release in US also might trigger piracy. 

I don't think it will underperform THAT much in OS but there will definitely be an impact, factoring in Market Conditions of weaker exchange rate throughout the globe, plus threat of piracy, OS will definitely not be as good as a worldwide schronized release date imo.

But you have a point there because Inside Out was released in the US much earlier than in many other countries and piracy didn't impact its OS that much... but Inside Out didn't have HD or Bluray version out before other markets, if KFP's HD version in English is out by next week... definitely will impact OS.

To what degree... that is up for debate.

1 minute ago, TigerPaw said:

I want KFP to do well, Rotten Tomatoes is doing well now, most reviews are positive and I like Dreamworks more than Pixar. =/
But the truth is, China will release both English and Mandarin and I am quite sure piracy will strike within the next 2 weeks, and in HD... Not forgetting we are not just talking about China, but remembering that a wide release in US also might trigger piracy. 

I don't think it will underperform THAT much in OS but there will definitely be an impact, factoring in Market Conditions of weaker exchange rate throughout the globe, plus threat of piracy, OS will definitely not be as good as a worldwide schronized release date imo.

But you have a point there because Inside Out was released in the US much earlier than in many other countries and piracy didn't impact its OS that much... but Inside Out didn't have HD or Bluray version out before other markets, if KFP's HD version in English is out by next week... definitely will impact OS.

To what degree... that is up for debate.

I understand you want it to do well....i want it to do well too.....but my point is that......people overseas cares mostly about to see their own dubbed versions, it's not always English.

It's not gonna impact OS to a degree of mass underperformance.....since, like i said before, people want to see the dubbed versions.

You may think otherwsie but that doesn't necessarily mean that you will be 100% right....if it happens...