A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

4 minutes ago, Polaroids said:

I don't think they even released a subbed trailer. All the subbed trailers I've seen of the film were subbed by fans. Really poor work by Sony.

They probably thought it would do horribly because of Monster Hunt's performance. But they're very different. 

There should be some minimum requirement in these distribution deals.  It's not as if the US has SARFT and there isn't a choice of distributors.  Yes, there are only 6 big ones with very cut back or amputated specialty arm divisions  but there are a lot of smaller distributors popping up that could give it a greater level of care and distribution push.

So I was just looking up some Chinese box office hits in 2015. and I watched a trailer for Monster Hunt... and how? how in the universal did a movie that looked like it was made by people without brains make nearly $400m??!!!! I heard the in china they liked cheesy stuff, but this makes Age of Ultron look like The Shawshank Redemption, anyways hopefully I didn't offend anyone. but I actually kind of in shock right now.

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Well, even with non existent promotion it's going to have an very good limited opening in the US. 

Friday #s

THE MERMAID (MEI REN YU) / Sony / 35 theaters / $361,000 / $10,314 avg

The Chinese Diaspora is big enough to get movies to that number, it is how Bollywood movies consistently have a range they open to. But this is the biggest Chinese movie ever, so some marketing effort to reach out to non-Chinese moviegoers might have been justified.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kalo said:

So I was just looking up some Chinese box office hits in 2015. and I watched a trailer for Monster Hunt... and how? how in the universal did a movie that looked like it was made by people without brains make nearly $400m??!!!! I heard the in china they liked cheesy stuff, but this makes Age of Ultron look like The Shawshank Redemption, anyways hopefully I didn't offend anyone. but I actually kind of in shock right now.

Well, I am surprised Star Wars can still make so much money in Amercia. My friends from Asia just can't comprehend why a movie that is a rehash of old plots can become so wildly popular, that fans can watch more than once, and even won five Oscars nominations for doing the same thing with updated effects. Wow! A lightsaber of a different colour! Wow old soundtrack but louder! Very Oscar worthy

But you must also remember that China actually loves explosion more. It's just that F7 cannot run for two months. Otherwise, no way Monster Hunt will be number one.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, sgchn40 said:

Well, I am surprised Star Wars can still make so much money in Amercia. My friends from Asia just can't comprehend why a movie that is a rehash of old plots can become so wildly popular, that fans can watch more than once, and even won five Oscars nominations for doing the same thing with updated effects. Wow! A lightsaber of a different colour! Wow old soundtrack but louder! Very Oscar worthy

But you must also remember that China actually loves explosion more. It's just that F7 cannot run for two months. Otherwise, no way Monster Hunt will be number one.

Star wars was an established brand with a huge built in fan base and a massive marketing campaign. and your' not comparing Star Wars to Monster Hunt are you? cause that is disgraceful.  

Only MM, TMK2 and KFP3 market share matched or beat their show % on saturday. Everything else was under by 20% or more.last year Sunday bumped 5%. Today is looking to be close to flat even though pre-sales indicated lower. Last year Monday was down 51% from sunday instead of the usual 60%+ with school still out. Looking for the above 3 to hold a little better than -50% while the rest drop a little more due to show shifts. 

MM will be close to 2.75B today. Should average close to 60m over the next 7 days, 3.12B by next sunday. With a couple of 50% w/o/w holds it will surpass 3.5B

TMK2 should be close to 1.15B thru next Sunday. 1.25B likely. Outside shot at 1.3B/ $200m with good holds. That depends on Zoo's impact.

M3 will clear 1.1B but not much more as it continues to slide the fastest among the big 3.

KFP3 will be at 925m today. Looking for it average 7m thru next sunday. Will be close 975m  when zoo opens. It will leg out to 1B.

Edited by No Prisoners
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, No Prisoners said:

TMK2 should be close to 1.15B thru next Sunday. 1.25B likely. Outside shot at 1.3B/ $200m with good holds. That depends on Zoo's impact.

You mean Ip Man 3 will affect MK2 right? Not Zoo.

Zootopia will impact KFP3 not MK2. Live action films will not really be affected by Animations. 

Edited by TigerPaw

5 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

You mean Ip Man 3 will affect MK2 right? Not Zoo.

Zootopia will impact KFP3 not MK2. Live action films will not really be affected by Animations. 

Olive said TMK2 and KFP3 had similar target demos

Edited by No Prisoners
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Kalo said:

Star wars was an established brand with a huge built in fan base and a massive marketing campaign. and your' not comparing Star Wars to Monster Hunt are you? cause that is disgraceful.  

No, he wasn't making a like for like comparison between the movies. He's saying there's a cultural difference when it comes to the enjoyment of movies. Yes, Monster Hunt is cheesy but there are elements to it which the Chinese audiences found endearing. Also, and likely the bigger factor, it ran for 59 days in theatres as opposed  to Furious 7 which ran for the usual 4 weeks. Furious 7 would have beaten it cleanly had it stayed as long. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Polaroids said:

Is $500 million locked?

I do not know if locked, but it seems quite likely. The target for that achievement is about 3.25b Yuan and people are talking about the chance of 3.5b

Edited by peludo

On 17-2-2016 at 0:02 PM, PPZVGOS said:

My Bold Prediction for the future of the global box-office:

There will be a $1bln grosser in a single market in China before North America. 

And i ll be waiting till there is a 3.2B grosser in china :)

23 hours ago, efialtes76 said:

Saturday 21:30

Mermaid:135.11M(+34%)

CTHD2:43.83(-17.5%)

TMK2:32.86M(+29.7%)

Macau 3:22.80M(+16.4%)

Naruto:14.91M(+17.6%)

KFP3:13.93M(+68%)

Sunday 21:30

Mermaid:120.53M(-10.8%)

CTHD2:34.3M(-21.8%)

TMK2:30.91M(-6%)